• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad What's the point of a clan?

- More fun with friends / people who you play regularly with.
- Server admin (kick the a-hole with 250 ping who welded you out, doesn't have a mic, and doesn't care)
- Custom map server control / preferences.

In short, community and more fun.

That's exactly the point of a clan-to make friends/people you play with, I know you can't touch them but if you only regard someone as a friend if you can touch then, you're sick.

Upvote 0
Well this is a coop based game is it not?

Yeah In a Co-op game like KF, its not a bad idea to have a solid group of people you play with, clans are not really reliant.

Most team based FPS games have a real need for clans. I play TF2 on the league level, so my clans are more or less full on teams of people I know personally either in real life, or from a lot of time on the web with them.

Upvote 0
Yeah I sometimes come off like that

Yeah I sometimes come off like that

I've been thinking the same... I've seen soooo many times when couple or at least 3 clan members joins a server, they only shares money and guns with their clan! They don't give a crap bout others in the server...
--> disconnect

I have a relatively small clan only about 3 or 4 members who play kf I'm trying to grow though. And I feel like a come across like an a**hole when I give my trusted friend some money instead of the new guy. This is because I know my friend can do well with it and I Usually give the new guy the benefit of the doubt and give him the money but sometimes it backfires. And when I'm medic and I'm busy healing my bud and there is another guy dying that I didn't notice I feel like I come off like an a**hole who only helps his clanmates. I understand playing as a team and I like to contribute to a team effort and not a clan effort(such as 2 or 3 in one game with 2 or 3 other regulars) but sometimes the guy leaves with a combination of a "God****ed clan a**es" and a :mad: look. But I don't mean it. So I just wanted to get the point across that in some scenarios those clanmate a**holes who only heal and share money to each other may just be a coincidence that I need money and my bud helps me out or I'm healing my buddy while this other guy that I didn't notice dies.

Upvote 0
On my clan's server, I am guilty of giving money to my buddies first, but I also make an effort to make sure that the other public players have some money and are aware of the plan for the round, that way instead of getting frustrated and ragequitting, they stick with us and act a bit more like a teammate. The reason I try to help the public players out, is that when I tried out the game during the free weekend, I lost track of how many times the more experienced players would buy their weapons in 2 seconds and run off, leaving me and another new player to die and lose our money, so I feel the pain of other players.

Of course, is is always nice to have admin to kick the players that refuse to get along or are just ***holes in general.

Upvote 0
I play killing floor mostly with my clannies and friends, but our server is public so we frequently get public players. I remember from my experience during the free weekend when I got the game, how every time I joined a server, all the experience players would buy their weapons within 5 seconds, then run off, leaving me and another newbie broke, and with no idea where the team went. Now, I make a point to give some money to any public player on the server and include them in the plan for that wave. Although, if they are an **hole, then I just let them die and ragequit, especially the ones that think they are better than the team.

Upvote 0
Having a clan in suicidal mirrored friendly fire is Vital! (Not having a clan but having some friends). Due to the fact that regular people don't read the server-info or simply don't care and runs out in the fire and get their team killed. While people you know, knows that they shall run along the wall and not in the middle.

And best of all, having someone to trust. If you keep are guys keeping different locations, and the one you don't know have to fall back to much, even though it's not intentional he might not say anything. But if you play with someone you know you get a warning instead of being raped by furious fps.

And the give money, I always give away all money I get over. And people how writes how much they need always goes first, and after that I give the rest to people who I think need it^^(worst thing ever on suicidal, when people use that "gimmie cash button" due to the fact that you dont know how much to give them-.-

Upvote 0
Pretty much sums it up. But I would say you can achieve the same with a public server. You get a bunch of regulars who have favourited the server so its a mix of mates (clan if you like) and the regs. You get the odd twat but the warnings are explicit about the web admin doing horrible things with their IP address and Steam ID. That said we have banned 50+ people already - There's even a fintie limit of griefers and tk'ers and I like life banning people - and even if I am not online I get PMs so there's no escape for Mr Emo Teamkiller.
lmao any server with friendlyfire doesn't deserve to be played on
except for the teamkilling part - only part those servers are good for
just wait for the perfect moment when you can massacre 5 teammates at the same time and LOL!!!

Upvote 0
lmao any server with friendlyfire doesn't deserve to be played on
except for the teamkilling part - only part those servers are good for
just wait for the perfect moment when you can massacre 5 teammates at the same time and LOL!!!

Actually first degree tks are generally quite low on FF servers in my experience. Of course you get the odd twat but they get reported. The logs examined and the tker/ griefer gets a life ban from the server. And since his Steam ID then gets sent to other server admins who also ban the tker/ griefer in the end its the server admins getting the last laugh as the player who actually paid for a game cannot not play it on a number of servers. LOL!!! as you so quaintly put it.

Upvote 0
Actually first degree tks are generally quite low on FF servers in my experience. Of course you get the odd twat but they get reported. The logs examined and the tker/ griefer gets a life ban from the server. And since his Steam ID then gets sent to other server admins who also ban the tker/ griefer in the end its the server admins getting the last laugh as the player who actually paid for a game cannot not play it on a number of servers. LOL!!! as you so quaintly put it.

Except for when this is a legitimate accident! One bad grenade toss bounces off of a suddenly-in-the-way ally's back, followed by a team wipe...and you get multi-server banned anyway...

I've had it happen. Not pleasant. Not easily fixable.

Upvote 0
Except for when this is a legitimate accident! One bad grenade toss bounces off of a suddenly-in-the-way ally's back, followed by a team wipe...and you get multi-server banned anyway...

I've had it happen. Not pleasant. Not easily fixable.

That would be a pity. You're an active member of the KF community and have made a large number of sensible pro KF posts/threads. I can only think the servers that banned you lost out on a good player. Their loss not yours.

Upvote 0
A well-drilled, practiced team of 3 players can do things that 6 or more players unfamilar with each other could NEVER do, even if they had twice the money and better weapons.

Clans develop a synergy when they play together. For example, a berserker KNOWING he won't have any stalkers/crawlers on his back as he charges because he has a Commando covering him that he can count on. Or a Sharpshooter knowing to ignore a cluster of Gorefasts because the Berserker is about to slice 'em apart. Or a Support ignoring a siren because he knows the Sharpshooter will prioritize it and headshot it down.

If you try counting on folks in public games to do stuff like that, you will often be PAINFULLY and FATALLY let down...
This. I've been a member of [AE] for a little over a month and I've definitely noticed this in my time playing with them. Suicidal becomes...well, not suicidal when you play with a team you're familiar with and can count on.

Upvote 0
The only real problem with clans is when they set up a clan server in a public format, and forget to post in their tagline that it is in fact, a clan server. Besides that, I usually find clans to be fun to play with, although I am not part of one personally. If I was offered the chance to join a clan however, that might be an interesting mechanic to enhance my gameplay and strategy.

Upvote 0
simple answer......look at my steam profile and notice all maps beat on all levels. ;)

of course i got all the normal on solo, but all the orignal 5 were done on suicidal and hard as a team before level6 and we were all mostly level3s and 4s. the new suicidal and hard were mostly with 5s and 6s so it wasn't as difficult for hard, but suicidal is still pretty difficult on the new maps when you add the husk.

i owe my successes to playing with 4-5 clanmates that play together as a team. we communicate in vent and use tactics. out of a team of 6, we NEVER have more than 2 SS, but still have no trouble being successful on maps. we know who takes crossbow, who takes m14, who takes sotguns, commando, etc.... we've developed actual skill and teamwork so we don't need to rely on 6 SS to win ;)

we know the spots to defend, we know who takes priority specimen, who takes crawlers, who welds, who's got mop up dudty....we know to leave a few to let us run to the trader to give more time to get back to our spot, we know when to suicide to spawn with free armour/weapons, save money, give money away, buy guns for others to save money.

it's just like any fps multiplayer game. playing with a real unit develops skill and teamwork that no pub team would ever be able to compete with.

Upvote 0
A clan is only as good as their weakest member.
In alot of games I've seen a clan focuses on their own clan members and disregards the rest of the players. One game I kept the entire team alive(was a medic). Not one thanks from any of them, we then get overrun and I unweld a door as an escape plan, team dies, I then get called an idiot.
Now looking at it closely, was I an idiot for at least trying to save the team, or were they for not giving me anything at all even though I asked plenty of times and did my job?
Another time I was alongside another clan, they all got wiped out, I finished the wave, and they all choose to return to the same place they all got wiped out and decided to hold there, didn't take my advice to change tactics and positions as expected team was wiped out.
A 3rd time I joined a server with some clan, they were getting creamed on wave 2 of a normal game, and they kicked me who strangely was spectating waiting to spawn?
A clan isn't willing to listen to people outside their circle and thats where they fail. Sure with just your clan mates you will be a dominating force, with other players clans disregard them.
As for me I've yet to see a clan that can do what I can with a decent bunch of mates.

Upvote 0
indeed, some "clans" simply aren't that good in regards to teamwork and/or skill. i've seen it too so you're not the only one. there's good players and bad players, good clans and bad clans....just like any multiplayer game. problem with mixing of clanners and pubbers in a pub game is that most the time the communication is bad. some clanners ignore the pubbers.....a real shame too because that's not what all clans are like. on the other hand, you sometimes have clanners who know what they are doing that try to lead the team but the pubbers just ignore them because they are ignorant. usually when players actually join a clan, they tend to play mostly with their clanmates in private games, that's why you may not have seen real clans in action.

all a clan is, is just a group of friends, mates, buddies etc....they just play togther alot and of course they usually have a voice server, a website or some place to congregate and wear game tags. clan is just a fancy name for "group"

Upvote 0