• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What would you want to see in a Realism Mod

SingeDebile

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2006
adjustments on already existing game mechanics (no big new features),

a place where this mythical modder will come to reference and gain inspiration from other like minded players

Here are a few of my ideas to start (some more or less already heavily discussed)
-Increased Sway (if possible relating to your level of stamina)
-Decreased stamina running up stairs
-Decreased Running speed
-Ridding ourselves of "Lockdown" once and for all
-Drastically lowering the amount that is yelled by your character (Mass Iron cross giveaways for instance)

--Fix LMG hipfire
--More sway, a little less zoom
--Better wound system (limb disabling, full suppression when hit, slower bleeding and bandaging)
--realistic weapons, unlocks, and loadouts for realism mode (Note: realistic loadouts mean fewer semiauto rifles and SMGs, which can be accomplished by removing the excess SL roles)
--ability to choose unlocks
--Fixing Tank Hull MG AI
--Fixing tank armor bugs/inaccuracies
--fixing pheripheral indicators (show only MOVING enemies AND friendlies out to limited distance only, more subtle, cannot function through smoke)
--native voice option (I don't mind the yelling, tbh, if there was only a toggle to disable it at critical moments)

And I agree--lockdown should not be present after the second objective is taken, and it should be more lenient for the first and second objectives.

Lockdown's only purpose is to end a curb-stomp battle. By taking the first and next objectives, the attacking team has proven that they deserve to be able to play out the rest of the round and use some more creative if time-consuming strategies to tackle the rest of the map. Lockdown on, say, No Man's Land on Commissar's House is really pointless.

"Commander, we've recaptured the Commissar's House and are pushing on the Pharmacy!"
"Good, now call off the attack! It's 10:30AM!":rolleyes:

Later on, it'd be nice to see the HHL magnetic anti-tank mine actually be a magnetic anti-tank mine. But that can wait a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: DasFist
Upvote 0
A few things I require before I can even contemplate playing ROHOS again are:

1. Ranked servers able to run without the abomination of a design decision - Lockdown.
2. No Mk42b
3. No stupid character talking to himself getting me killed - I don't need a running narration of a battle, the voice chat like in RO1 or better yet 3D VOIP like in Resistance and Liberation would be incredible though.
4. No more fantasy guns that if they were in Stalingrad would of been in handfuls rather than issued to every 15th man.
5. Make the AT rifles nearly worthless please like they were in real life - the fact a T34 can get frontal turret penetrated by the AT rifle feels like an absolute joke. An AT rifle should either be used against the viewing slits or the tracks/engine/fuel tanks - it shouldn't be able to blow up a medium tank at relatively long (in RO2 terms ranges).
6. SELECTABLE UPGRADES - whoever decided to implement an upgrade system without the option to choose your upgrades really deserves to be hung, drawn, quartered, diced into small pieces and fed to the Tripwire Rancor. It's a no brainier if you have unlocks you give players CHOICES.
7. To scrap the awful ping system at the moment as it really feels like the greater of two evils with its terrible impact on shot placement.

Things I would like:

1.Fixable bayonets

2.Bigger Maps

3. A "hardcore" type of Territory where time limits only kick in at the point when reinforcements run out and it would be paused when a team is capping ( ever lost a round to lockdown/timelimit when you are in the capzone - its frustrating as hell!).

4. The ability to ride on the back of tanks AND fire from them whilst doing so - this would give both infantry and tankers an advantage of greater mobility for the inf and enhanced protection for the tank.

5. The ability to leave the tank but make it slow whether through animated exiting OR through freezing the tankers body outside the vehicle for like 5 - 7 seconds meaning you wont get the instant teleporting of RO1 tanking to take care of the pesky AT inf.

6. Reduced recoil of the MG's when deployed as it feels ridiulous to have a MG bouncing all over the show when deployed. Also I would like for machine gunners to be able to use the iron sights of their MG's whilst standing up at the cost of greatly reduced movement speed and high recoil making it very hard to fire sustained bursts. In real life a MG'ers were known to do this so I personally would like it in the game too!

A lot more but I cannot think of anything immediately. :p

Upvote 0
weapons need to be shot out of your hand

Should not be able to turn 90 degrees in a full sprint

less semi rifles and smg's, mkb42

More iron sight sway after sprint

i want a sight hood on my mauser, and i want to be able to remove the bayonet

bring back death moans, screams, and twitching dieing corpses -THIS WAS GREAT

Reactions: Tummel
Upvote 0
Singedebile why? Are you making such a mod?

Seriously you guys are always asking for limitations on weapon classes, it's depressing. Look at it like this:

Stop trying to limit people's choices to create a 'realistic' balance. Instead, let everyone choose whatever weapon he likes and the game will balance itself.

There's no real overpowered weapon problem in the current loadout. They behave pretty much as you would expect right? So, if you go toe to toe in close quarters carrying a bolt rifle and the enemy has a semi or smg, he'll have the benefit, just like in real life. Vice versa if you spot him coming some 200 mtrs away from your window position, odds are you're shooting him long before he's a threat.

Use what you want is my opinion. People will adjust to weapon advantages and realistic weapon behavior / damage.

Reactions: ron_moron
Upvote 0
no more lockdown
no more unlocks
wounding system that actually does somthing (getting shot in the leg stops you from running for a while exct...)
submachine guns that arent leathal at more then 150-200 yards
ability to TAKE OFF MY BYONET!! and put it back on (loved that clickin sound)
useful heavy machineguns
no more zoom (even in BF3 you cant zoom)

Upvote 0
adjustments on already existing game mechanics (no big new features),

a place where this mythical modder will come to reference and gain inspiration from other like minded players

Here are a few of my ideas to start (some more or less already heavily discussed)
-Increased Sway (if possible relating to your level of stamina)
-Decreased stamina running up stairs
-Decreased Running speed
-Ridding ourselves of "Lockdown" once and for all
-Drastically lowering the amount that is yelled by your character (Mass Iron cross giveaways for instance)

- Not realism
- realistic
- intial take off should be slowed but the overall speed is fine.
- Lockdown increases Realism.
- That is Atmosphere...and realistic...just the timing might not be.

Upvote 0
Not wanting to be tl;dr but realism is such a dirty word - how can you ever have realism when fear of death isn't present? Without that no player will act the same as they would IRL, and so as they're acting differently the weapon usage will be different. So do you try and balance the game so that it plays more realistically or do you make the game so that it appears realistic but doesn't play so? Personally I don't think it's a black and white answer, but it's worth thinking about when you're trying to answer what you want for a realism setting.

Anyway, I want:

Get rid of MKB

Sway unless you're resting your weapon

Slower bandaging plus wounds actually impact on player (slowing movement, etc)

To me the SMGs seem terrifyingly accurate over distance, but that may just be me / map size.

Optional unlocks.

My flying mount.

Once all those are done, tbh, I'm fine. Actually I'm pretty fine with the game right now. I've been playing a lot the last two weeks and loving it more than ever.

Upvote 0
On the realism thing, there was an excellent example in the first Forgotten Hope, the realism mod for BF1942 (ah, those were the days).

Tankers were complaining that they couldn't do anything becuase fausts were everywhere and they were getting owned. One of the devs came back showing figures that, for the player size, the faust load out was entirely accurate, and if anything a little on the low side.

Then someone else found figures for the amount of tanks destroyed by fausts, and it was about a tenth of the number of faust kills we were seeing in game.

So the realistic loadout was producing an unrealistic result, largely, I guess, because people weren't playing under the conditions that produced those results.

Obviously this doesn't apply to everything, but it does go some way to show that realism isn't a cut and dried subject.

That said, give everyone bolts and I'll be happy.

Upvote 0
Then someone else found figures for the amount of tanks destroyed by fausts, and it was about a tenth of the number of faust kills we were seeing in game. So the realistic loadout was producing an unrealistic result, largely, I guess, because people weren't playing under the conditions that produced those results.
he Panzerfaust IRL was a b@stard to aim in the heat of the moment but computer games generally make such things rather calm and easy by direct comparison. Computer games tend to add artificial aim penalty mechanics to try and bring the results more into line with reality c/o sway, hit cones and wotnot. Maybe in that game such mechanisms were not employed adequately.

Realism is a subjective term particularly within the context of RO2. Whenever I see it being used here I see it being levelled within the context of RO2 alone and not as a desire to make something genuinely realistic, as one might see in a mil-sim game (such as ArmA2).

Upvote 0
Personally I am hoping for an improved Realism Mode so we don't have to even worry about creating a mod for realism.

Player numbers are even lower than they were with ROOST and if you implement a mod then you will split the community because some players won't have it, or in some cases won't agree with whats in it to bother downloading it.

Upvote 0
More sway and recoil
I know it's unrealistic but like mentioned before games aren't real life. You can have realistic features but a game always lacks realism in other points that might cause unrealistic gameplay if you add realistic features to it.

Rare weapons and bonusses are rare.
Not given to everyone and their cats like now.

No lockdown
main reason why I stopped playing RO2 in the first place

Other then that fixes for clearly broken things like the AI tank mg

Upvote 0