• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What will it take to save RO?

That is the issue with RO and DH and any mod for that matter. No one takes the incentive to SEED a server. The reason the 29th does so well is they have so many members they get 5-10 guys into their server and it fills instantly as does most servers when this happens.

This is the same thing that fills our server every evening. Once you have say 5-10 friends or people willing to do this on ANY server it fills instantly it's the nature of the beast - sure NO ONE wants to play alone but that's why Steam as Steam Friends so folks can tell when you enter a game to play and hopefully it brings others there as well.

This is part of the reason I constantly post about these types of issues, it's the community that has to keep it strong and when people see empty servers, those are usually good servers and the key is PING, so if you have a great server that pings well to you, you know that you won't or should not have any lag on it when it's full so the key is getting folks there to fill it, as what I call "Making the server your own"...

On a nightly basis we probably have anywhere from 100-200 people that may frequent our server in the course of that night, people come and go constantly - I see new names from hour to hour and sure we have 20 or so regulars also but many are busy, work, or family to tend to. I'm about to go into my server right now to try and seed to see what happens, I'd love to have it full always and especially during the days and weekends but where those 100-200 people go during those times is beyond me, but they are there EVERY evening.

Upvote 0
Thanks for helping seed. It proved my point exactly. Did you notice all the people that come and go only because you have 3 or 4 people in but it brings them. Within 20 minutes to a half hour we had over 10 players. For whatever reason 20 is the magic number?

Within that first hour the server reached the 20 mark and would have much earlier if those people that dropped by would have been a little bit patient and waited for others to arrive. Once we hit the magic number the server filled to capacity and remained that way most of the day.

The key is having people listen, and be a bit patient and keep coming back and have everyone show up at the same times and you can fill ANY server not just ours.

Hope you enjoyed your stay and keep coming back and we can keep trying to keep it full for ALL HOURS and not just in the evenings like it has been.

Upvote 0
For me and RO, it is still starting the game and seeing the same old maps running in the servers. Too many good custom maps that never get played. Ping isn't even a secondary issue (maybe third), so I could give a *** about whether the server wasn't in NA as long as it had a decent and different map.

DH is good, but starting to run into the same situation. Many times the same maps are being voted on and played over and over which is a shame, because overplaying a good map can get tiring. Just like good music; I like it until they start playing it to death on a radio station.... then I begin to hate it (Like Zepplin, the only song I can stand to hear played on the radio is No Quarter).

And as Clown has said, servers do need to be seeded. But as I have also said, if I (or anyone else) only has 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to play at night, at least I really don't want to spend all that time trying to seed a server. Played the seeding game for years and it rarely works. Well, works a little better on the weekends when I can leave the game running on my second monitor and I have more time, but unfortunately during weeknights, I have no luck.

Upvote 0
For me and RO, it is still starting the game and seeing the same old maps running in the servers. Too many good custom maps that never get played. Ping isn't even a secondary issue (maybe third), so I could give a *** about whether the server wasn't in NA as long as it had a decent and different map.

DH is good, but starting to run into the same situation. Many times the same maps are being voted on and played over and over which is a shame, because overplaying a good map can get tiring. Just like good music; I like it until they start playing it to death on a radio station.... then I begin to hate it (Like Zepplin, the only song I can stand to hear played on the radio is No Quarter).

And as Clown has said, servers do need to be seeded. But as I have also said, if I (or anyone else) only has 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to play at night, at least I really don't want to spend all that time trying to seed a server. Played the seeding game for years and it rarely works. Well, works a little better on the weekends when I can leave the game running on my second monitor and I have more time, but unfortunately during weeknights, I have no luck.

Thats the main problem same map over and over and so on
Someone converted Arad to DH and one night some people voted and played it for 3 rounds in a row,yelling omg omg it's crapArad lets roll.

Someone converted Debrecen arty crap motor to DH and now finally germans can roll better into the game cause Shermans and it's variants are not deadly as the IS2 and is better than Vieux on the other map with spawn areas so close to the first that you can get killed by a wandering shell while leaving that area.Not to mention that most of the trees on tanks maps are not that solid and if I'm not wrong there is an engine glitch that make your tank disappear inside the bushes creating some sort of Octocam

For infantry maps Foy,Ramelle and the every boring map comes with a single tank and a Church to cap are too much overplayed.
There is always the scorewhore queue around spawn points on Foy,or people clipping through windows making them impossible to hit.

For only two times I have managed to play Gun Assault and for two times german team was wanking around,nobody 'cept me was using the tunnels to recap the house and save the Pak position flood

Red Orchestra for me with standard or official maps is good as dead

Upvote 0

You'll be back.

Also, have you tried clan wars? they bring a whole new aspect to the game and if yuo love RO then you need to get playing 8v8 scrims. Everything plays differently and a whole new style of game is played.

Koba, the guy above is usually recruiting for clan members :p

Upvote 0
Thats the main problem same map over and over and so on
Someone converted Arad to DH and one night some people voted and played it for 3 rounds in a row,yelling omg omg it's crapArad lets roll.

Someone converted Debrecen arty crap motor to DH and now finally germans can roll better into the game cause Shermans and it's variants are not deadly as the IS2 and is better than Vieux on the other map with spawn areas so close to the first that you can get killed by a wandering shell while leaving that area.Not to mention that most of the trees on tanks maps are not that solid and if I'm not wrong there is an engine glitch that make your tank disappear inside the bushes creating some sort of Octocam

For infantry maps Foy,Ramelle and the every boring map comes with a single tank and a Church to cap are too much overplayed.
There is always the scorewhore queue around spawn points on Foy,or people clipping through windows making them impossible to hit.

For only two times I have managed to play Gun Assault and for two times german team was wanking around,nobody 'cept me was using the tunnels to recap the house and save the Pak position flood

Well, its not dead for me, I just don't play it as often. Some of the stock maps and customs turned stock are great maps, they really are, I would just prefer to play some other maps. I suppose in a way, that for new players, its ok because they haven't had a chance to overplay those maps yet. I will jump in the browser nightly to see if there are any custom maps being played, if so I will join. If not, well, I always have plenty of other things to do that I have been putting off :p

For me though, ROOST's high water mark will always be when there were plenty of stock and custom map servers to choose from. Nowadays, unless you get lucky on the weekend, alot of the variety seems to be missing.

Upvote 0
You'll be back.

Also, have you tried clan wars? they bring a whole new aspect to the game and if yuo love RO then you need to get playing 8v8 scrims. Everything plays differently and a whole new style of game is played.

Koba, the guy above is usually recruiting for clan members :p

8v8 in RO?
I wouldn't think that would be that fun. That's like source style of play. ew.

Upvote 0
8v8 in RO?
I wouldn't think that would be that fun. That's like source style of play. ew.

Are u kidding me? Its what ro is designed for . . these 50 player server are a new addition that make everyone think ro is about grenade rain and spam . . . .

8v8 takes team work, skill and cake eating. You reaaaly got to try it!!

Also, its nothing like source, its like well . . RO . . the way its meant to be.

Upvote 0
I thought clan community was dying...?
I had clan experience from DoD. I didn't like it. People are mostly asses who thought they were above you because they can play the game better.
It's better to do what I can in a mass setting hehe. My skill level is nil too so I probably won't make the cut to any clans.

Upvote 0
I don't participate in clan games anymore but I can vouch for the notion of 8v8 leading to an ideal gaming experience. One simply must not play on maps expressly designed for high amounts of people. Many of the stock RO maps are of a fitting size for ladder play and a handful of others have received some work to allow them to be used as well.

Upvote 0