• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What We Are Up To - The Return Of Cyberpunk & An AM(A)A!

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    Hello everyone!

Spring is almost here, and for those that remember last year that means one important things for your schedule... The Killing Floor 2 Cyberpunk Spring event!
    cyberpunk.png

For those willing to plumb the depths of Spillway's seasonal objectives, a new outfit awaits, along with a host of Cyberpunk drops along the way.

Players will find quality of life improvements (such as toggle sprint), balancing of perks and weapons (like the recently announced Firebug, and panic and related weapons, changes), bug fixes (we have identified and fixed an issue that would cause Zeds to spawn in line of sight of players) and more! Even the Survivalist is getting some love to its perk skills (these are trial changes while the team continues to evaluate a larger overhaul of the perk), with buffs coming for:
    • Medic Training: More healing and faster cooldown
    • Melee Expert: Increased attack speed (small) and damage (large)
    • Make Things Go Boom: Increased radius
    • Spontaneous Zed-plosion: Increased chance (small), damage (large), and radius (25%). This skill will also no-longer knock down zeds, but stun them instead.
      • A similar change has been made for the Firebug Zed Shrapnel skill
    We aren't ready to announce a beta date just yet, but to help tide you over we have something a little different. Next week we will be hosting a Ask Me Almost Anything (AMAA) at the Killing Floor 2 reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/killingfloor/)! You will find devs from several different specialties around to answer your questions about Killing Floor 2 on Thursday February 21st (between 2 and 4 PM EST, -5 GMT).

Keep an eye out for:
    • David Amata - Product Lead
    • Mike Stone - Producer
    • Jeff Robinson - Senior Programmer
    • Jonathan Betancourt - Designer
    • Chris Goodwin - Level Designer
    • Sean McBride - Art Director
    If you can't make it, don't worry! We will have the AMA post up the day before to allow fans, who may not be able to be present, to have a chance to get their questions posted and answered. We look forward to seeing you there!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Kenxzero
    Tripwire, I love you and I'm glad you're helping survivalist.

But this is not what I want for survivalist.
    Its not that the skills arent particularly good, (but these buffs are still needed) its that you're not really creating your own perk. It still really boils down to the same guns on this perk but worse than the perks I'm copying.

I still support condensing current skills into one and having another skill with alot of gameplay effects rather than "Am I pretending to be medic or am I pretending to be berserker"

EDIT: I see that edit you made, that's much appreciated. If all the skills are viable I think it'll feel different at least.

Also massively looking forward to the event, I was hoping for cyberpunk before it was announced, heck yeah!

Last edited:
    Reactions: MartinMasheen
    Upvote 0
    Oh... My... God...
    TOGGLE SPRINT ?!?
    Wooooow ! Finally, the dream come true !
    For all these years i've been playing with my "own made" toggle sprint by custom key binding with console, i improved it to something correct, but it was not really perfect. I even made a steam guide on how to toggle sprint. I'm really happy that it will finally be officialy in the game :D
    I doesn't look like much, but i remember i was really hating to have my finger holding the sprint button 90% of the playtime.

Upvote 0
    That's a huge "meh" from me... I really saw Spring updates as some sort of "clean-up" compared to the other three (which are focused on events). Seeing as we're getting yet another one, I'm a bit bummed out. Even more so when it's focused on Cyberpunk... Don't get me wrong, I love this subgenre and its aesthetics, but I always pictured Killing Floor as set in the "near-future" and not some crazy neon-soaked ****... It's even more ironic since this update's map is NOT a futuristic lab or spaceship.

And I totally join PurpleFanta here... This is NOT what we wanted for the Survivalist at all. It's not the stats of the skills that bothers us but the skills themselves. Hence why we've been speaking about a REWORK instead of balancing. We'd rather have a tenth perk that isn't the lame duck anymore...

Reactions: MartinMasheen
    Upvote 0
    Aleflippy;n2329539 said:
    That's a huge "meh" from me... I really saw Spring updates as some sort of "clean-up" compared to the other three (which are focused on events). Seeing as we're getting yet another one, I'm a bit bummed out. Even more so when it's focused on Cyberpunk... Don't get me wrong, I love this subgenre and its aesthetics, but I always pictured Killing Floor as set in the "near-future" and not some crazy neon-soaked ****... It's even more ironic since this update's map is NOT a futuristic lab or spaceship.

And I totally join PurpleFanta here... This is NOT what we wanted for the Survivalist at all. It's not the stats of the skills that bothers us but the skills themselves. Hence why we've been speaking about a REWORK instead of balancing. We'd rather have a tenth perk that isn't the lame duck anymore...

Yep and yep, the whole cyberpunk event thing just doesn't work as a seasonal event, and honestly it would be much nicer if this was just open season for normal zeds without any more seasonal confusion/chaos like skin changes (which aren't even present this time anyways), zedconomy changes, tickets, DLC, etc. And also yes, the survivalist changes just don't quite make up for the problems that are already in place. While I like seeing new content it has gotten to the point where I'm kinda just bummed with how much has been added that's actually taking AWAY from the experience;

This downhill slide started with the 2017 update (I presume it was in 2017, can't even remember) where the King Fleshpound was officially added as a boss despite the fact that it was extremely lacking in terms of ranged attacks and quicker perks can simply outrun him, and the only REAL threat is the horde of quarter pounds that get in the way (equally annoying as the Abomination Spawns, and I think something is wrong if a boss is somehow more annoying to fight than entertaining -- that's not how a game is supposed to be) --> (I'll get back to the Abomination in a minute here).

Then again, the threat mainly applies to anyone who's not a Berserker, Gunslinger, or Medic simply due to the fact that speed boosts mean everything in this game. That, and the Berserker/Medic perks have ABSURD regenerative properties and defensive properties that make them impenetrable in comparison to other players.

Next to the Survivalist and the Firebug, I'd say Demo is the next most useless perk because of severe ammo deficiency and zero defensive properties. They're really slow movement wise and in terms of BOTH reloading & fire rate, so considering how careful you need to be to make every shot count
    --> (definitely more so than the sharpie, who has access to plenty of quicker fire rate weapons with larger, more accessible ammo pools and no threat of self damaging, in addition to generally easier kills with head health values being easier to break down on, AND YOU KNOW, FREEZE NADES).

This divide between perks is what's really killing the game for me, and the biggest issue is that it's rooted within the gameplay itself. The game is EXTREMELY dependent on running and gunning, especially since holding out can only last you so long, and higher difficulties introduce more speed for the zeds, which means ALL THE OTHER PERKS are going to be quite easily overwhelmed where the GS/Med/Zerk all have convenient defense and speed mechanisms that the others lack. Firebug's only upside is that they aren't IMMEDIATELY doomed by this thanks to the elements of fire panic effects and fire spread which make crowd control quick and efficient (but if we're changing how panicking works, it may get even more dire for Firebugs).

In addition to that, there's the simple notion of the perk skills themselves being rather one-sided for many people. Speed is always better so most people will pick speed benefits over anything else, some skills are kind of obscure or difficult to make the best of (especially the Demo AOE skill, nobody really likes that one), and while I'm glad that this has been acknowledged around one of the more recent betas, it still means even more changes to be made.

Upgrades are trash, everyone has got to agree to this: They ruin the hierarchical structure of the weapons system, they make people way less interested in sharing dosh for the sake of self-upgrading, they COST way too much in the first place, and they HARDLY optimize weapons to begin with... a little bit of a damage increase isn't enough to compensate for a price that's OVER THREE TIMES the cost of smaller weapons, and larger weapons in the T4 - (already controversial, though upgrades are unavailable anyways thankfully) T5 range are NOT AT ALL in need of such buffs, it'll just take away from the experience for others and make the good weapons stand out even more over anything else.

The Abomination is also commonly accepted as a generally unlikable and unenjoyable boss fight. Allow me to reiterate as to why:

>Uninspired design and appearance, most boring boss to look at (what can I say, he's just fat... what's so intimidating or exciting about a bigger bloat? Bloats are already the silliest and most unintimidating zeds by themselves)
    >Some players find that this boss is simply so easy that it makes higher difficulties a joke when he spawns
    >His ranged attacks are still really pathetic, since his only REAL ranged attack is his gorge which barely works half the time

>OTHER players like myself argue that this boss is too easy (though fighting the actual BOSS itself isn't the hard part); We'd argue that it's just really damn annoying to deal with a relentless swarm of fecal embryos when all we're trying to do is get through to the guy who's spawning them. THE GAS HE LEAVES IN HIS PATH IS SO ABUNDANT AND DEADLY THAT IT OBLITERATES PLAYERS THAT TRY TO CHASE THE ABOMINATION, so not only does this boss take a noticeably longer amount of time to fight (in online games, anyways), but you can't go after him once he picks a player to chase... you'll die in a matter of seconds. This is literally the only actual threat of this boss-fight, but it's also the most frustrating part, and takes away from any enjoyment that was there to be had

>Again, really unintimidating and at the end of the day he's a bore to fight. The King Fleshpound was where I drew the line, because he's a broken boss to begin with but I actually like him conceptually (a lot of people don't): I have ZERO reason to enjoy the Abomination fight though.
    >I'm noticing that with these two newer bosses, the influx of extra zeds is uncontrolled and chaotic to compensate for their lack of health regeneration. Can't we just make the four health bars a universal thing? It would make the other two bosses much more interesting. Giving the King Fleshpound a shield doesn't really excite anyone;

You know what WOULD be exciting? Say the KFP has four health bars like the Patty / Hans (Hans technically has one health bar but he has a defensive comeback for each segment of health lost where the other two bosses just get pissed and that's it)…
    --> Once the KFP's health reaches the red, what if he just goes endless rage mode? No more extra enemies spawn in, but instead, the KFP goes berserk and takes after all remaining survivors with terrifying speed. AND I MEAN, SPEED, FASTER THAN THE ZERK EASILY, otherwise it wouldn't even work. The health would probably be easier to degrade at that point, but it's where the risk gets much higher. That would be much more invigorating than what we have now. (Just an idea, but like, see what I mean by all this?)

So many new weapons left unchecked, upgrades are futile, maps are boring -- prove me wrong, EDARs COMPLETELY RUIN THE GAME (TRAPPERS ARE ABSURD AND CAN INSTANTLY SCREW YOU OVER FROM THEIR SPAWN), perks are completely unbalanced, cosmetics are a nightmare, and the enemies have been generally unintimidating from the beginning of the game's initial release...

Sorry, but no, the Fleshpound's new voice audio and constant rage mechanics weren't and still aren't scary at all. They make him a blundering idiot who runs like an equally dimwitted idiot, the audio itself is dull and doesn't have that shocking echo and depth it used to have, they're generally easier to kill, and most importantly, SUBTLETY is gone. They used to be quiet, creeping toward you often without notice, and while the roar definitely helps players figure out what they're doing it ruins the threat of the enemy. The horror element can't be held up if everything is predictable and watered down. Fleshpounds just run at you no matter what, so there's no real sense of trouble and more just a sense of "great, now he's in THAT phase."

How did you ruin my favorite enemy?

But these are issues I don't think will be changed any time soon. Simply too much to change and too much at stake with what's already here now. I suppose it's just at the point of no return.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    PurpleFanta;n2329524 said:
    Tripwire, I love you and I'm glad you're helping survivalist.

But this is not what I want for survivalist.
    Its not that the skills arent particularly good, (but these buffs are still needed) its that you're not really creating your own perk. It still really boils down to the same guns on this perk but worse than the perks I'm copying.

I still support condensing current skills into one and having another skill with alot of gameplay effects rather than "Am I pretending to be medic or am I pretending to be berserker"

EDIT: I see that edit you made, that's much appreciated. If all the skills are viable I think it'll feel different at least.

Also massively looking forward to the event, I was hoping for cyberpunk before it was announced, heck yeah!

I don't see any way out for the Survivalist, to be honest, especially since people wanted a "jack-of-all trades" perk which comes with the implication of "master of none"; I still see this perk as a mistake and an unnecessary addition to the roster which only makes sense in 1-player.

Making the Survivalist a "full powered mix-and-match Perk" has high potential of being game breaking, because if the Survivalist wasn't an underdog, there will be no reason to play other perks if you can simply be a 100% Sniper-demo, or Mediczerker. With the Survivalist, a true "create your own perk" Perk would bury other perks, and screw up the Perk-centric design of the KF series.

Hence, limiting the Survivalist skill tree by partitioning makes sense, because if you want to be a mix between 2 or more perks, then balance dictates that you should be mediocre at best compared to the OG Perks. Think of this as the trade-off to gaining the ability to utilize all Perk weapons-- you are only marginally good at them.

Upvote 0
    Nice! Lookin good! However, i feel like with the edition of all this futuristic high tech weaponry there should be some kind of scientist or engineer perk. Their role could be trash clear and crowd control. Survivalist buffs are nice, but some people do like play with all sorts of combos of guns. I think they should just leave it as is for the people who wanna do that and just make a new perk for those of us who wanted the rework. Other then that im always happy and glad they continue to support the game. I still love and play it! Thank you tripwire!

Upvote 0
    TheAphabet;n2329562 said:
    I don't see any way out for the Survivalist, to be honest, especially since people wanted a "jack-of-all trades" perk which comes with the implication of "master of none"; I still see this perk as a mistake and an unnecessary addition to the roster which only makes sense in 1-player.

Making the Survivalist a "full powered mix-and-match Perk" has high potential of being game breaking, because if the Survivalist wasn't an underdog, there will be no reason to play other perks if you can simply be a 100% Sniper-demo, or Mediczerker. With the Survivalist, a true "create your own perk" Perk would bury other perks, and screw up the Perk-centric design of the KF series.

Hence, limiting the Survivalist skill tree by partitioning makes sense, because if you want to be a mix between 2 or more perks, then balance dictates that you should be mediocre at best compared to the OG Perks. Think of this as the trade-off to gaining the ability to utilize all Perk weapons-- you are only marginally good at them.

The full quote you are trying to use is: A Jack of all trades, but master of none, is better than a master of one". Yes, the Survivalist is supposed to be the Jack of all Trades/Bard of the KF 2 lineup, and the design team has some ideas for the perk yet to help it stand on its own. Hopefully I'll be sharing some of these in the near future for community input.

Upvote 0
    TheAphabet;n2329562 said:

People have drawn up plenty of good alternatives for survivalist.
    The problem isnt even that its a jack of all trades kind of thing, its that you kind of limit yourself with what you're picking to be LESS of a jack of all trades.
    When I want to have a generalist perk, I dont want to initially pick between half of the guns in the game or the other half of the guns in the game.
    Just make it reload speed for all guns or like some damage and stumble power on the other side.

Compressing what's currently available together into LARGER skills with wider effects but maybe still not so powerful, you'll have more utility at your side, more things you can do. Like combining the medic and berserker skill together would make you be better at surviving, but like you're not going to be an amazing melee character or an amazing healer either way because they're both still just weaker versions of medic that also dont add onto any of the other skills in the entire tree.

Another issue I have is that you have support grenades and then HAVE to change to either moltovs or medic nades. Some custom ui for chosing which one you want would be absolutely fantastic.

Level 20 skills are also both kind of eh. They BOTH force you towards demo in a way. I dont like zedtanious explosion thematically, I'd rather them both be on the same skill as the explosions skill to pick, and something else with fun stuff on the other side to fit other kinds of gameplay.

One of my big issues with survivalist is that it feels like the only 'good' way to play it is some mixture of demolitionist with either medic or a hunting shotgun. I ended out having fun playing a hit and run demo, with the melee skill so that I could kite while I let enemies pile up for my bigger AoE rpg shots. But then I found you almost always have to go with the AoE skill or the underwhelming head explosion skill.

Maybe I'm stuck in my ways, but skills that both feel like the same thing should just be combined and have a very different feeling skill on the other side. I dont think it would be overpowered to combine some as like I said they dont stack with your passive stat gain or other skills in your tree, you're still never going to be better than the perk its based on from one skill alone.

Reactions: Aze
    Upvote 0
    Yoshiro;n2329583 said:
    The full quote you are trying to use is: A Jack of all trades, but master of none, is better than a master of one". Yes, the Survivalist is supposed to be the Jack of all Trades/Bard of the KF 2 lineup, and the design team has some ideas for the perk yet to help it stand on its own. Hopefully I'll be sharing some of these in the near future for community input.

Can we have that commando reload speed aura back for survivalist? B)
    I'll hop on some extensive survivalist testing if its time to get some work on the perk done

Upvote 0
    I'm hoping for something significantly different from tweaking the existing skills' numbers for survivalist - like new skills altogether.

I don't think the issues with survivalist is that the skills are too strong or too weak. It's that they don't make sense.

I like the idea of stun for shrapnel though, mostly for firebug. It might be a much more viable choice now, although Napalm needs a small upside, because if it's really as good as it sounds it will become another "non-choice" skill.

Last edited:
    Reactions: imnrk
    Upvote 0
    +30% explosion radius is already large enough if the M16 has anything to say. Increasing the explosion radius any further would actually be a nerf since you can already inflict self-damage to yourself with an M16 grenade. I can't imagine the kind of self-damage you'd inflict to yourself with the M79 or RPG-7.

Upvote 0
    I think keeping Survivalist as a "jack of all trades" is a good thing, and I don't mind that you are doing these placeholder buffs for now. But as others have said, for the future actual rework; The skills pidgeonhole you too much, making you NOT a jack of all trades anymore, which goes against its whole design in the first place.

1: Reloadspeed (+ melee attackspeed) should be weapon-universal as one pick, with whatever else as its competitor, like anti-recoil and some mild damageboost.
    2. The level 10 choices are a bit odd. Medic Training is ok in design (albeit very weak in numbers), as it can be universally useful, but the Melee Expert is really niched, yet also WAY superior due to the massive movementspeed boost. Why not make it a hp-regen and slight movespeed skill (no matter the weapon you wield)? That's then useful regardless of what weapon you're wielding. Then you're having a pick of being supportive or selfish, with varied strengths of course. As for losing melee power; The perk's passive oughta be stronger for melee weapons, straight up.
    3: Forcing a different grenade also kinda sucks, a choice in the UI for this would be much nicer.
    4: Bigger AoE is only useful with demoguns (super-pidgeonholing), why not give it universal incap power too, so it's useful with any gun? That, while the other pick, even if it's becoming way better now, still relies on RNG and is 100% useless when fighting singular targets. How about giving it a TINY damageboost at all times (like 5%?) so it's always useful, while still keeping the RNG-component intact?
    5. Lockdown just can't compete with Madman. It needs to do WAY more, like make you run faster and regen hp or something.
    6. Heavy armor, especially as a forced passive, is really annoying. Why not make the passive into a HEALTH-increase instead? That'd play nicer with healing-based talents too.

I really hope you can move away from at least these issues.

Upvote 0
    Yoshiro;n2329583 said:

Thank you for the input. The entirety of that quote is contextually sensitive, and hard to apply to the context of KF2 Perks; especially since all Perks, excluding the Survivalist, are more accurately described as the "Jack of some trades, but master of one" while the Survivalist is "Jack of all trades, but master of none".

In a team that is solving a series of problems, 6 experts with the ability to fill in each other's lack of expertise and then some, is still inherently more attractive than 5 experts and 1 adept who can only "kind of fill in the gap" -- Even though the adept's set of skills might intersect with more experts and may bolster those sets of skills, the loss of the 1 expert is still a larger net loss in that particular set of skills, which the adept can only hope to offer equivalent value by subsidizing in other sets of skills.

Suppose what I am trying to get at is this. The current attention on the Survivalist is a perk that is viable with all weapon types-- as such, players seem to focus on the aspect that "if Survivalist is viable with X weapon type, then Survivalist must be just as good as Perk X". I'd say this focus is misguided, on grounds that from a design perspective, the Survivalist cannot be as good as the perks it is trying to mimic.

I'd argue that a more grounded premise for the Survivalist is something which is independent of weapon type, but more dependent on the player's actions with those weapons, and other mechanics in KF2 which do not receive as much attention-- Such as buffs and debuffs. Instead of skills which improves the attributes of a certain weapon-type, replacing that with skills that directly buffs the player attributes or debuffs Zed attributes (either passively or through specific actions) would completely free the Survivalist from its current purgatory, while still fulfilling the "jack-of-all-trades" label.

For example, a skill can have either "L) 5% chance of the Survivalist releasing a healing cloud for every X amount of damage dealt" versus "R) Killing a Zed while player is at full health will give the Survivalist a temporary 5 health buff up to 175 HP (i.e. any HP above 100 cannot be healed once lost)", both sides adds value to the Survivalist irrespective of weapons chosen, and it is sensible to the perk's moniker.

In summary, the perk skills in KF2 is design around "pick perk X, use X weapon type, (optionally) perform action J, activate skill K", but for the Survivalist, it should simply be "pick Survivalist, perform action J, activate skill K" to be completely non-weapon-centric. Any weapon damage, defense and speed buffs should be applied uniformly as leveling bonuses.

----

Either way, I still look forward to what the TWI team can come up with, all the best.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Aleflippy
    Upvote 0