• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What We Are Up To - Searching And Destroying

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    Along with Russian and German troop transports and the new Rising Storm siege map Maggot Hill, we are taking the (often requested) Search and Destroy game type official!

After the Custom Game Type team created the S&D game mode for RO 2/RS, many of us at the office found ourselves having a great time with it. We also found that it helped fill a niche of a game type that works well with players who want to play a few rounds without having to commit to the transitionally larger rounds of a territory match (not to mention good for competitive/clan matches!).

We will be adding Search and Destroy to the Rising Storm beta later this week (the snowpocalypse has started again here in Georgia and many in our office have headed home for today) for further testing and gameplay feedback! Like with the last round of testing (with Maggot Hill) we will be playing everyday for the rest of the week as we watch how it plays and gather community feedback.

In the near future (likely early February) we will add the troop transports to the beta and continue to work on polish and feedback on all the items in this update until they are ready for the main game.

In the near future (likely early February) we will add the troop transports to the beta and continue to work on polish and feedback on all the items in this update until they are ready for the main game.

Wow this was a surprise! A new Faction too???

Niech Żyje Polska
    I believe even native speaker can make a small mistake so there should be "on polishing" :eek: From the other hand I would like to kick some Nazi as a Polish soldier. Maybe someday, maybe in the other game ;)

Upvote 0
    Good for Thor and his guys for getting the S&D gametype made official into the game. (Personally I never cared for that gametype and much much much preferred the S&D gametype introduced by AfterHourz for ROOST, but that is besides the point.)

That said, can't we already play this even unofficially right now if we wanted to? Are we ever going to see something actually made by TWI (and not the community) ever again for this game? I mean, I'm glad for all the work the community is doing, and I am glad that TWI is adding it to the game officially (I really am), but come on...

Upvote 0
    That said, can't we already play this even unofficially right now if we wanted to?

This has been available to server admins for sometime but required a little bit of installing so server operators running vanilla builds and low skills wouldn't be able to offer it.

We tried it once on Aussie / NZ but it never really took off. Capture the Flag got more traction on the server but it was only ever for ****s and giggles before a full TE game or Campaign was launched.

I guess it will please the DOD players but like you I would rather stick to the long form of the game.

Fixes to Campaign mode would be nice given it is already official but lacks POLISH.

Upvote 0
    Are we ever going to see something actually made by TWI (and not the community) ever again for this game? I mean, I'm glad for all the work the community is doing, and I am glad that TWI is adding it to the game officially (I really am), but come on...

Most of this update (much of the transports [code, high poly model, animations, rig/suspension, ect] and Maggot Hill) are our (Tripwire's direct, contract or AMG) work. Our team working on RO2/RS are often tasked 105 to 120% over capacity working on the game. That isn't to detract from the modding teams who have helped with some of the great content going into the game with this update, just to give you an idea based on your question. Also keep in mind that taking mod work official is not like flipping a switch, especially when it comes to code. To better handle the code, we translate much of it into native code so it runs up to 10x faster than script to make it more efficient. Also not all code easily translate and often must be reworked.

And I've said this before, but to reiterate, the community is much likely to see larger content drops from us more akin to expansion packs (if not expansion packs). We have some great ideas ahead for what to add next, but our plans are always fluid as we react to different forces.

Cat In The Hat, we are also working on fixing many bugs for this update. The best thing for you to do right now is provide 100% reproduction cases (or as close to) in the bug forums right now to make sure to bring our QA's eyes to it.

Upvote 0
    And I've said this before, but to reiterate, the community is much likely to see larger content drops from us more akin to expansion packs (if not expansion packs). We have some great ideas ahead for what to add next, but our plans are always fluid as we react to different forces.

:confused:

I'm confused here, what exactly was it you were trying to say?

Upvote 0