• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What We Are Up To - *rumbling*rts

It is wrong to assume that TWI 'claims community work as their own'.

As a member of the vehicle mod team I can't see that.

I appreciate the work you guys are doing but you're missing what I'm trying to say.

I'm saying that these 'What we are up to' posts have become 'what the community has done for us'

Community work should supplement what tripwire is doing but right now all I've seen from tripwire is bug fix patches, a map, a game mode that misses the point of the series and not much else. Every other 'content patch' has been built from the ground up by the community (Rising Storm, the various map packs, the recent weapons, this)

It's like the games been on life support since release, I noticed that pretty early on which is why I haven't been posting for a long time

Upvote 0
I appreciate the work you guys are doing but you're missing what I'm trying to say.

I'm saying that these 'What we are up to' posts have become 'what the community has done for us'

I get what you are saying. I'm sure TWI is behind the scenes helping a bit, but from what we see if we take more than a casual glance is that Yes, it is the community contributions to the game that are really keeping it going.

Upvote 0
There seem to be more and more posts about how there is a dire lack of new content in the game being provided by TWI. People wonder what they are up to, and somehow fixing bugs and tweaking the game just doesn't seem to be enough to keep them occupied.

It does seem like TWI has recently taken basically community content and post about it 'as if' it was theirs, but at the same time, I can understand how the profits from the 'success' (lol) of this game might enable them to work on new projects and their next game, and put HoS on the back-burner for now.

Any new content is good to have, and we have to admit that there have been more than bug fixes and tweaks for sure - a couple of maps, a few new weapons, and of course they did help the development of the RS mod (the Oepipus Mod, that killed its father and ... erm, I will leave you all to complete the metaphor lol).

But ... at the end of the day, I think what we all need more than anything is hope, hope that the help won't end with adding a couple of vehicles, hope that the 2 new maps won't be the only ones ever released from the Devs, and hope that somehow the game we all seem to love more than any other won't one day soon turn into a few empty servers and be resigned to history because the updates finally stopped.

Hope... help us Obi Wan!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We put a large spotlight on community content that we take official (as we always have done) because we think the authors of the work deserve it. We often take the backseat to our own work involved with taking content official (such as John rewriting much of the games base vehicle code and additional code to implement transport vehicles and everything that goes along with them. As well as the some of the models the vehicle mod team working with being our own, that we produced internally or had commissioned).

Why do we take community content official? Because it helps everybody. The content creator gets rewarded for their work, the community gets awesome new content, and we benefit by having players have renewed interest in the game (and if we are lucky, introduce new players into the pool). We've done this in RO 1, KF, and RO2/RS. We've also noticed (especially in this newer generation of larger files) that many players do not go out and find custom content or wait for it to download. So for the vast majority, it is brand new content.

We've stated it before (and I know I have personally), as long as RO2/RS continues to have players and (yes, the part people like to hate/ignore) is an economical success, we will continue to support it both with our own content, and by taking select community content official.

But we have to scale our work on any title based on how well it is doing. Our growing team is scheduled out between our projects based on the scope of current development. That scope is adjusted based on many factors, with the two keys ones being player count and financial success. Killing Floor for example has a larger stable player base now, then it did post launch.

To give you an idea on how Tripwire is set up, there are two teams. The live team (which is something still fairly new and we are working on) is in charge of our stable of active titles working on patches. The other team (which used to be pulled in multiple directions at once) now focuses its efforts on one product at a time (when we are doing it right). This can include working on RO2/RS and KF content as well as our next project.

With the inclusion of Anti Matter Games (a third party we work with, who you may know as many of the devs who helped develop Rising Storm) we also have a chance for another main production team to work on content for some of our titles as well (when they are not working on their own projects or other work for hire).

Upvote 0
A little more on the topic:

We have tried several experiments on how to best get players new content. With RO 1, like now we had a mix of custom and officially created content. But as a very inexperienced dev team back then we over reached which caused us to have to drop support for the game after spending alot of money on it post launch.

With Killing Floor we started those experiments, originally with character DLC to support further content creation. We have now also done premium characters (with a mix of custom voice work and special effects) as well as the community created weapons packs.

Now with RO 2 we didn't feel like those methods would work well with the community, so we helped start the Rising Storm team with the idea being that if it shaped up, we would pile on and help develop it into a full expansion (which is what happened), or at the very least, we would have a mod for players to enjoy. We may try that route again, or we may try another experiment to help finance new content for RO2/RS. I believe (and do not hold me to this) that Tripwire is still of the thought that full expansions will work better at this time then smaller dlc content (some with a price tag attached to support all the other development).

But always feel free to let us know what you think would work for you.

Upvote 0
Big wall of useful clarifying text
Thats a good explanation. Thanks.

And for feedback: I believe the large expansion route is very successful for the franchise. I loved RS with all the gameplay that it brought for the discounted price. I also think that one last expansion would be helpful.

I think I recall one of the developers of ICV saying that he would be open to being monetized by TW.*hint* Don't quote me on that though.

Upvote 0
I think you should add Moskeetos skins/greycoat "model" in the 251 C update :)

Erbsentarn, Splittertarn, Wintertarn and the Feldgrau we currently have randomly / in combination (+greycoat) would add alot more variety

I know there are people here that would love the Axis side to get lots of new content, but what I find ironic is that you won't even notice it much unless you play the Allies side, do you really look so closely at your teammates? :p

Yoshiro, thanks for your posts, and I am glad you didn't latch them onto my earlier post because I would feel to blame and not be able to sleep lol. I know TWI needs to work on other projects to develop, and while your posts may not say too much explicitly, they may go a long way to explaining how you guys are still learning and trying things to make stuff work for both sides, us and you, which I hope will help people in the forums to understand what's going on better.

Upvote 0
I know there are people here that would love the Axis side to get lots of new content, but what I find ironic is that you won't even notice it much unless you play the Allies side, do you really look so closely at your teammates? :p

Yoshiro, thanks for your posts, and I am glad you didn't latch them onto my earlier post because I would feel to blame and not be able to sleep lol. I know TWI needs to work on other projects to develop, and while your posts may not say too much explicitly, they may go a long way to explaining how you guys are still learning and trying things to make stuff work for both sides, us and you, which I hope will help people in the forums to understand what's going on better.[/QUOTE
Those unique skins bring some fresh air into the game, and could also honor the fantastic work of all modders and artists involved in this awesome project. I loved those little gimicks in ro ost and darkest hour. Twi should implement them . Thx josh for your effort. Long lives ro2. Cu on the bf.

Upvote 0
Large expansions in a WW2 setting, definitely. That's what I think would work best, like RS worked. Italy or Africa preferrably, but Barbarossa '41 or Normandy would be fine, too.

Perhaps make it patially some kind of community project: you tell us the theme and the deadline. Those who contribute content (static meshes, weapons, uniforms, maps) get the game for free or, depending on how much they contributed, will get a small (and I really mean a more symbolic) reward.

For example, you say Italy'43, deadline: one year from now on, minimum requirements for static meshes: 3 LOD's, diffuse, specular and normal map, trees must be animated. We need trees, buildings (preferrably modular) and props like...

Also don't underestimate the smaller goodies, like customizable uniforms. As you can see in the forums, there is a huge demand to customize the character. I have seen that in other games years ago, where clans liked to dress in 'their' uniforms. It would be great if that could be integrated into all game modes, if necessary seperate the uniform mod part from the mod that plays with other game settings.

Upvote 0
Why not bringing the Battle of Kursk to the game as the next expansion? On this one, Tripwire could be confident to start with a solid foundation due to the fact of having ironed out most bugs that have been affecting the game since release - this has been their main excuse as far as not having enough resources to work on new content - and of having a properly working tanking system within the game (they are now trying to finally hammer down the tank bugs), and brought other types of vehicles such as halftracks into the game that could definitely be used in such a battle environment. This, obviously, would mean creating large maps and adding many new vehicles to each side.
Plus, knowing how long it takes to create new content for this game and the allocation of resources within the Devs team, wouldn't working on a new expansion with (partially) different nations and entirely different environment, weapons and vehicles mean longer and harder work than introducing new vehicles for the existing armies and creating a "Batte of Kursk" expansion that can aready rely on two tanks, two halftracks, and many other vehicles on the way that are on their way?? If seen this way, this kind of DLC could be not so distant!

Upvote 0
Also don't underestimate the smaller goodies, like customizable uniforms. As you can see in the forums, there is a huge demand to customize the character. I have seen that in other games years ago, where clans liked to dress in 'their' uniforms. It would be great if that could be integrated into all game modes, if necessary seperate the uniform mod part from the mod that plays with other game settings.

Indeed! I would like to see uniforms that are currently being talked about as randomized, be actually selectable in the arming screen. That way you could pick your uni if you want but otherwise it would get randomly selected for you.

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Upvote 0

The Overhaul is a WIP project right now. All began with one mod then one more and more and more... I sure the team arround dibbler will add some reskins or even new skins (when available by some modder) for the Russian side, too.

For me it

Upvote 0