• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What We Are Up To - *rumbling*rts

I think you should add Moskeetos skins/greycoat "model" in the 251 C update :)

Erbsentarn, Splittertarn, Wintertarn and the Feldgrau we currently have randomly / in combination (+greycoat) would add alot more variety

No offense to you or the great job moskeeto did with these skins, but skins is the most useless things to add in video games imo. Especially on a fps war game. I mean, I could care less how I look to the enemy. I also see another conflict. It would bring more confusion on whos on what side. Thus, increasing tk's. Just like how I constantly get killed for using enemy weapons. People right now are being TK'd with everyone having th same uniform now imagine with a variety of uniforms.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This would be amazing to see! Perhaps dibbler can comment on whether this would be difficult?

Fairly difficult for me :p the role and weapon selection GUI has given me most trouble adding new weapons to roles.

Now a much less pleasant solution could be designed using the .ini file or mutator configuration menu, but I think I'd rather implement the system you guys are talking about and not bother with such a stopgap.

I would also see the mutator on servers before I add any new features.

Upvote 0
No offense to you or the great job moskeeto did with these skins, but skins is the most useless things to add in video games imo. Especially on a fps war game. I mean, I could care less how I look to the enemy. I also see another conflict. It would bring more confusion on whos on what side. Thus, increasing tk's. Just like how I constantly get killed for using enemy weapons. People right now are being TK'd with everyone having th same uniform now imagine with a variety of uniforms.

Than you have never played Ro ost or Darkest Hour!! Lots of different types of uniforms. It was never a problem in those games. You learn after time do distinguish friend from foe. I like the idea to have varieties of different uniforms, brings fresh air into the game, and its also an eye candy.

Upvote 0
A little more on the topic:
But always feel free to let us know what you think would work for you.

There have been several topics where custom map makers screamed for more players/attention for their work. These topics never seems to be noticed by any of the devs. In these topics some good suggestions have been posted.
But most of these topics ended in silence and I know it made quite some custom mappers less enthousiast to make new stuff.

TWI had the map contests which is good, but leaves a load of other custom maps unattended. One of the suggestions was a TWI approved mappack which could be added to steam so all players and servers had these maps.
As we all know not that many of the players visits the forum and they absolutely don't know about custom maps.

Now I know their are difficulties like whitelist, gamepatches which make recook neccesary and probably things I don't know. But a TWI approved mappack might be something to consider so more custom maps get the gameplay they deserve.

Greets Drecks

Upvote 0
there have been several topics where custom map makers screamed for more players/attention for their work. These topics never seems to be noticed by any of the devs. In these topics some good suggestions have been posted.
But most of these topics ended in silence and i know it made quite some custom mappers less enthousiast to make new stuff.

Twi had the map contests which is good, but leaves a load of other custom maps unattended. One of the suggestions was a twi approved mappack which could be added to steam so all players and servers had these maps.
As we all know not that many of the players visits the forum and they absolutely don't know about custom maps.

Now i know their are difficulties like whitelist, gamepatches which make recook neccesary and probably things i don't know. But a twi approved mappack might be something to consider so more custom maps get the gameplay they deserve.

Greets drecks

+1

Upvote 0
It has been considered (a few times), but was decided against. There are too many things in the way without us owning the maps.

At least we know now it have been considered and there to many obstacles.
It have been mentioned more than once but we never read something about it.

Main issue probably lawyers and legal blablabla. Now I speak for myself and not sure how
others think, but in my believe a random guy who makes maps for a game like
this want his maps to be played. He is not busy with the fact he is the owner of a product.
and not expect to earn money for it. But that is always nice :)
He started his map with hopes it will end on servers.

Most likely there will be technical issues, but the Contest mappack prooves it aint that hard. So as you mention "Without us owning the map" The legal part will be the main blocker here. Did you guys ever consider to ask the few mappers we have for their opinion to contribute his map for a free "Community Created Mappack" It ain't a secret that custom maps had a rough history with this game and its my stubborness
which keep me going seeking for a better future......

Greets Drecks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
At least we know now it have been considered and there to many obstacles.
It have been mentioned more than once but we never read something about it....
Greets Drecks

Minimal communication here. I know you and others have mentioned it numerous times in the past and if it was considered and decided against, why are you mappers just hearing about it? I could go on and on, but something about deaf ears... :rolleyes:

I agree Drecks, I would love to see yours and the other mappers maps in some sort of map pack, official or not, so all the players have them downloaded and the maps can be played for all to enjoy. Just imagine the game without the custom content from the community. Talk about low player numbers imagine how low they would be then...

Upvote 0
In response to Dreck's & Yoshiro's conversation:

OK, if there are legal barriers, etc... to an official TWI "Community Map Pack" would it be possible for TWI to assist mappers with what ever infrastructure is necessary for us to assemble our own map pack to share/distribute? So for instance, a player could install an "All-Drecks Map Pack" that would contain all of his maps in one file.

Upvote 0

OK, if there are legal barriers, etc... to an official TWI "Community Map Pack" would it be possible for TWI to assist mappers with what ever infrastructure is necessary for us to assemble our own map pack to share/distribute? So for instance, a player could install an "All-Drecks Map Pack" that would contain all of his maps in one file.

I expect the main problem, but thats only my no pro thought is that some lawyers made up some difficulties. They need to make money and they seem earn quite a lot so they have to say something to validade their salary. Probably they said something about future claime blabla lawsuits blabla.

To me its simple. You make a Custom map for a game. As noone told you to do so but appearantly and you want to have the map played it seems better to have the map in a mappack so more people can play them.
You can contribute the map to the developer, in this case TWI , and sign some contract that you won't start to whine later on that the map is yours blabla, you want a Mercedes and chicks in a hottub.
The Dev can add a loadscreen with something like "Community Mappack TE-Kriegszeit made by Wolverine"
And we are done it ain't rocketscience.

So for instance, a player could install an "All-Drecks Map Pack" that would contain all of his maps in one file.

When you take a closer look you will notice its not for me. I was lucky to have my two RO HOS maps in an "Official Mappack" So thats not my point. But there are more maps out there which could make it and deserve to be in a mappack. Some might need more polish others less. The mappack doesn't have to be to a specific mapper. Its more like a variation of maps. RO HOS maps, RS maps, Combined Arms, Infantry small and infantry large.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One problem this collection of maps would solve is the questions for any server owner of which maps do I include? Which ones are popular and which will clear the server? If there is a collection that can easily be downloaded from some central place, then of course, they have a chance to be equally distributed and played. Then there will be less chance that if a custom map from that collection comes up, a person will leave for another server, because ... that other server may well have that map too.

Yeah, it may be painful at first, and this does not solve the problem of recooking each map after every code update, but at least it goes in a direction that would help the stale maps to be cycled off and new maps to be cycled in.

Upvote 0
We respond to/answer many questions and suggestions. However we are used to those answers being spread around by other members of the community. I guess you could call it a culture change, but that does not happen as much these days in these forums so we are trying to change how we post to address that.

No, we do not respond to everything (nor have we ever done so), but we do try and read most if not all of it. And I bring up many of the top items to the team in weekly meetings.

As to the mapping suggestion, there were a few issues standing in the way (and I do not recall them all offhand so I won't comment on what they "were" so I do not get it wrong).

Upvote 0
I've breached the subject of a Community Map Pack on several occasions on the TWI RO2/RS forums. This is the first time anything close to an semi-official response I've ever heard.

Let me go all Oliver North, I can't recall what's caused the anger and frustration to make so many players, mappers and modders to abandon this game. Suffice to say I have too many projects dedicated to this platform to stop creating custom content at this time.

Perhaps a secondary outlet, like [url]http://www.mapraider.com/[/URL] could be used to home a CMP for RO2/RS? While Epic endorsed CMP's for many iterations of Unreal, "too many things in the way" preventing TWI from whatever means mappers are yet again on their own.

I apologize if this reply sounds of negativity. It just seems transparent that mappers need a site dedicated to their passion. One deserving of a link on [url]http://www.tripwireinteractive.com/[/URL] . Oh, a link to the Steam Workshop would be nice as well, just to let players know there are custom maps out there.

Upvote 0
As far as I am aware, Epic did not host the Community bonus/map packs. They would post about them (and so would we), but they were put together by the community (and hosted at many sites).

Thank you. I'll take that as TWI is indeed willing to endorse (declare one's public approval or support of) of a RO2/RS CMP. Of course hosting will be found by the community or the contributing LD's, as always.

We are are doing some huge experimental changes to how the engine cooks to try and solve the re-cooking problem.

+1. This would preserve any CMP released for all concerned. Yet does not address the issue of a custom map loading screen. Hopefully a CMP installer can be made that implements it seamlessly for servers and clients. But that's another matter entirely and deserving of its own thread.

Upvote 0