• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What We Are Up To - *rumbling*rts

Correct me if I'm wrong but the biggest issue with legal stuff isn't directly stuff made by the mappers. But rather mappers claiming they made stuff when they pulled it from another game.

Correct, this is the ONLY MAJOR reason why. But there are ways around this, by having people sign agreements. EPIC Games had no problems doing this with bonus pack/patches with UT99.

Upvote 0
Correct me if I'm wrong but the biggest issue with legal stuff isn't directly stuff made by the mappers. But rather mappers claiming they made stuff when they pulled it from another game.

If that's all that's stopping it surely that's easy Just get all mappers that add maps to the community map pack to sign disclaimer stating that all bit in maps are their own or free to use assets and that TWI is absolved for all responsibility in that area and any or all come backs are the mappers responsibility

Upvote 0
If that's all that's stopping it surely that's easy Just get all mappers that add maps to the community map pack to sign disclaimer stating that all bit in maps are their own or free to use assets and that TWI is absolved for all responsibility in that area and any or all come backs are the mappers responsibility

Yes, that's what EPIC Games did, and it worked out great.

Upvote 0
A little more on the topic:

We have tried several experiments on how to best get players new content. With RO 1, like now we had a mix of custom and officially created content. But as a very inexperienced dev team back then we over reached which caused us to have to drop support for the game after spending alot of money on it post launch.

With Killing Floor we started those experiments, originally with character DLC to support further content creation. We have now also done premium characters (with a mix of custom voice work and special effects) as well as the community created weapons packs.

Now with RO 2 we didn't feel like those methods would work well with the community, so we helped start the Rising Storm team with the idea being that if it shaped up, we would pile on and help develop it into a full expansion (which is what happened), or at the very least, we would have a mod for players to enjoy. We may try that route again, or we may try another experiment to help finance new content for RO2/RS. I believe (and do not hold me to this) that Tripwire is still of the thought that full expansions will work better at this time then smaller dlc content (some with a price tag attached to support all the other development).

But always feel free to let us know what you think would work for you.

If finding enough people to create content on the TWI end, making current modders into a group of paid subcontractors for specific content is one suggestion. Or, if money is an issue, then create a number of DLCs. Why not? You could have one DLC for skins, one DLC for different weapon packs, another DLC for equipment, another DLC for more nationalities in game.
You could give people a break on the price of the DLC if they already own the game.
My greater point is that, there ARE solutions. There are obviously a number of private modders/mod groups out there interested in coming up with new content. Maybe it would be a good role for TWI to help organize these people in specific things that the community as a whole has the most interest in. The map contests have are a great step in that direction, as was Rising Storm. However, I think TWI needs to help 'step up' some of these efforts with a boost of a variety of skins and squad weapons, to really help keep the game fresh.

So, I think TWI is essentially going in the right direction, but the scope and pace of new content particularly, has remained very, very slow for over two years. I realize there has been an enormous amount of bug fixing (and appropriately so), but with that seemingly resolved-- personally I'm hoping to see a new focus on other aspects of the game (particularly content).

I love this game, and I've invested lots of time playing it. This game has some of the most promise as a historical FPS ever. I mean look at the campaign mode, and what could be done with that (?) A team with motivation and wherewithal could develop just the campaign mode itself into a great mega-game where, for example, German and Russian forces could battle over the entire historically modeled map of Stalingrad, complete with limited force pools of infantry, engineer, and armor units. The potential for just that map mode is tremendous. So, for one example, imagine the campaign mode as an FPS version of the Close Combat series of games, where a force pool was used of limited types of units/and or reinforcements, including different types of artillery, allocated to fight over maps where one side could cut off supply lines of others. One example.

The potential scope and scale and complexity of the game is really in infancy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It would be great if the maps were updated with vehicles before Xmas - players would have much more time over the holidays to try them and test them out and mappers might also be able to start thinking how to include them in new maps. Fingers so crossed it hurts!

Very unlikely :(

As we move into December, many of the team will be taking time off to visit with friends and family. This means you will see less updates from the team during this holiday season.

Upvote 0