• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What We Are Up To - New Hardware To The Front

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    Rolling off the Killing Floor 2 announcement and Killing Floor End Of The Line event, we at Tripwire have some good news for Red Orchestra 2 fans! New hardware is being shipped to the front! What hardware? Glad you asked!

Small Arms

Maschinengewehr 1942 (MG-42) - A squad and mounted machine gun of the German armies, designed and intended to replace the MG-34. Firing at 1,200 rpm, the MG-42 not only put bullets down range but fear as well. One of its only drawbacks was its inability to have successful sustained fire due to the amount of ammunition it could consume as well as easily over heating its barrel.

Vehicles

T-70 - Designed to replace previous light tanks in use by the Russian army and one of the last light tanks to be made before their fall out of favor for more armored and up-gunned medium and heavy tanks. Featuring a small crew (consisting of the driver and the commander/gunner), it boasted a 45-mm cannon and a coaxial mounted DT machine gun.

Panzerkampfwagen III (Panzer III) - Intended as the main battle tank of the German armies going into WWII it went through several modifications and role changes as the Germany army encountered heavier armored and armed tanks on the eastern front. It also introduced the standard 3 man turret that became the standard for both the Germany army and that of the Allied powers it was fighting.

We will be bringing you screenshots as development of these items continues. I will also be going into (in my continuing series of What We Are Up To Posts) some of the new features and community requests that we are tackling for our next set of updates. Also I am pleased to announce that we've been working on the SDKfz 251 and in a future build it will sit 6 passengers in the back. We'll see you on the front!

Sweet news, guys! I do have one question about the Pz III. What Ausfurung are you modelling? I seem to remember in one of your OLD press-releases that you were going to make the Pz III Aus J. The most common Pz III at Stalingrad was the Pz III Aus J1 with the long-barrelled L/60 cannon (these could also stand-in for the Kursk-era Pz III Aus L). Is this what we will get or can the long-barrelled gun (and maybe some bolt-on armor) be unlockable for the new tank?

Cheers and thanks,

Fafnir_6

Upvote 0
    Woo hoo! MG-42 !! me likeee....

A question: is the armor of the new tanks thin enough to be penetrable by AT rifles??

They should be. I imagine killing them with AT rifles would be similar to fighting the tanks we have now in that you'd need to get close and try for a perpendicular shot at vulnerable areas on the tank. I know that Schurtzen (Anti-antitank-rifle-skirts) were added to the Pz III Aus M to address this very issue.

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Upvote 0