• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What We Are Up To - Brewing Up A Storm

Like cooking, it will optimize game content, but without any of the random non deterministic aspects that the old system used. In short, this should allow us to do smaller updates to the game, may reduce custom map size, and best of all, should allow custom content to continue working between game patches.

So these smaller updates you release, would they include making custom maps become stock maps to stop the problem of people not DL and playing them?
Or will you be relying on the steam workshop going forward for that?

Maps should only need to be brewed and then they should work for the life of the game. Even some older maps (from previous builds) may work, but we can't guarantee it.

an example so i can understand this better, say if i have Wake island version 2 and it is a brewed version, and then version 3 comes out, i can still use version 2 with out downloading V3? in theory of course? So no more updating the maps when new version come out?..in theory of course?

Hopefully you are also considering repairing the Achievement's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As soon as I know it most custom content needs to be re-cooked every time RO2 gets a new update. This means work for the people who create content but also some kind of "work" for normal players.

Let's say you have 5 custom maps installed. The size of each map is about 100mb. After a tiny fix for RO2 all the maps need to cooked again and with that you would need to download the maps again.

Upvote 0
Stop complaining about no new content, you're beating a dead horse. You're not just beating it, by now the horse has been beaten, processed and utilised for dog food and glue. So just be patient.

an example so i can understand this better, say if i have Wake island version 2 and it is a brewed version, and then version 3 comes out, i can still use version 2 with out downloading V3? in theory of course? So no more updating the maps when new version come out?..in theory of course?
I believe that you'll be able to play a custom map before and after an official RS update without issue, but if a server is running V3 and you only have V2, you'll still have to download the new one. Could be wrong though

Upvote 0
I believe that you'll be able to play a custom map before and after an official RS update without issue, but if a server is running V3 and you only have V2, you'll still have to download the new one. Could be wrong though

Here's how I explained it in the Steam Discussions:

Yeah currently when a patch comes out it's usually 2-8 gigs in size depending on what has changed. When a patch comes out it means all custom maps need to be recooked/updated to work with the new version which results in servers having to redownload all the maps again, which leads to players doing the same, which causes a lot of downtime for custom map servers since they have to wait for the map creators to recook.

Also, most of these changes, regardless of being major or minor usually affects the stock maps too, so you have to download large chunks of those with the new patch. In the current system, if TW changes a parameter or code relating to the cover system or how the bots work, all the maps need to be updated and downloaded to reflect these changes, thus larger download sizes as you need to get the maps updated.

This is also why it takes TW a long time to release patches because they don't want to bombard players with huge downloads every two weeks, because

#1 - it's annoying

#2 - some people in the world have limited download limits.

This new way will be a very good step towards helping RO2/RS develop faster and more often.

This old patching and recooking process is an Unreal Engine 3 problem and affects a number of games that use the same engine (Chivaley Medieval Warfare as and example)

As far as I understand it, the version of the map you have on your system still has to match the map version on the server. You can't play with a map that has trees in one spot while the server map has a building there because the map designer changed things around.

Now whether or not you have to redownload the whole map again, or just certain things are patched in the version you have, I dunno for sure.

Maps should only need to be brewed and then they should work for the life of the game. Even some older maps (from previous builds) may work, but we can't guarantee it.

So you brew it once and download it once, regardless of how many patches the game gets over time.... the only time you need to download the map again is if the mapper himself updates it for whatever reason.

This new system just removes the continual Re-Cooking process everybody has to deal with when they don't need to.

I think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the biggest boost will be not losing maps to people leaving the community or dont feel like recooking their map every update.

Maybe i can get to play univermag again one day:(

All I know is once this all goes into the game, I'll be more inclined to play custom maps as I won't have to keep downloading them all the time..... like the old ROCA/RO1 days.

Upvote 0
Maybe i can get to play univermag again one day:(

Think I played this map a few days ago on one of the russian community servers (and it was damn great playing it after such a long time) so are you sure it is currently uncooked? Unless we are talking about different maps here. I'm referring to the map with the huge road leading to the univermag (similar to good ol' Leningrad, which someone HAS to remake already)

Btw, what was the name of one of the first custom maps we got? The one having germans assault a russian village along its main road with the church on the right and the houses/fences on the left. Would be nice to play it again, haven't seen it for ages (due to cooking I guess)

Upvote 0
Btw, what was the name of one of the first custom maps we got? The one having germans assault a russian village along its main road with the church on the right and the houses/fences on the left. Would be nice to play it again, haven't seen it for ages (due to cooking I guess)

I think thats ogledow, and the map maker left the community and wont recook.
Btw, that map was awesome. :(

Upvote 0

I think thats ogledow, and the map maker left the community and wont recook.
Btw, that map was awesome. :(

Sounds like Butovo

Upvote 0
Great news for the modding & mapping community and for the community in general with the ability to release small specific bug patches.;)

:cool:

Oh, this is HUGE. Particularly from the perspective of a server operator. I'm not complaining, but one solid patch can mean 35 custom maps need a re-cook, and require about 100 file downloads/uploads over a period of a week or more. If patches can be made without disturbing much content, all I can say is WOW! :eek:

Upvote 0