• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What type of server will you play on?

VariousNames

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
The purpose of this thread is to collect a general survey on the game type you expect to play on HoS. The purpose of that survey is to give some kind of an indication to the people on this forum of what kinds of server pops and community to expect when the game hits. This survey is tentative, and obviously only counts people affected enough to post on this forum. I'm not talking about map rotations or mods, but strictly where you fall on the ranked/unranked, realism/soft realism continuum.

Keep in mind this poll established that this forum leans towards realism servers: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=53109&highlight=ranked[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=53109&highlight=ranked[/URL]

In a nutshell: what kind of server would you like to play on. Soft realism with levelups, unlocks, and extra HUD elements? Strictly classic Ost gametypes? Hard realism with persistent unlocks?

Please elaborate below. If this thread gets sufficient feedback, then people who have expressed concerns about some of RO2's design elements can rest easy that they will have a server to play on.

Against my better forum judgement, I will say that I can enjoy fast paced arcade gameplay just as much as classic RO gameplay. I will play whatever keeps me entertained(What ever that may be, I have yet to find out till I play RO2). It seems people paint everything black and white too much. Realism or Relaxed Realism? Why not both. Either can be as fun as the other depending on the player's taste. :IS2:

Upvote 0
Well my friend and I (Keep in mind we play ArmA 2 with Ace) will be acquiring a server so we can play the game exactly the way we want to. It's likely we'll have 4-5 friends here getting it as well so it will be most likely active. We are planning on trying to keep it as realistic as possible when playing competitively, at the same time we know our friends will keep playing if there is character progression with the stats.

I am not sure if it is possible yet, but we are hoping that we can limit grenades per classes and at the same time it won't turn off the rankings/character progression. Our biggest pet-peeve with ROOst is the grenade count on default maps. We'll adjust accordingly once we get the game on what we deem the best. We'll probably be a rag-tag clan of sorts. So when playing against other clans we'll likely turn off the stats and just play classic style.

We'll never have it on relaxed realism, and will likely add on mutators to the server as they come out that help with this experience. We don't like arcade by any means, but we admit that persistent stats and character progression is fun and helps prolong game life (especially for our friends).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Relaxed realism tends to get boring quickly compared to full realism in games that let you choose, so I'm going with the latter.

I don't know yet, waiting for game to release. I will try all gametypes and difficulty modes, and stay in what is more enjoyable for me.

By the way, skirmish mode on tanks map would work well (World of Tanks anyone?)

Heh, but I'm betting relaxed realism tank maps in RO2 will still be much more realistic than World of Tanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Realism for me maybe a relaxed realism match occasionally. I just hope the server options are good, I know the developers said you can turn off the mkb but can mp40 dual mag be removed too in server options ? and can the ppsh start out with drum? I thought it was balanced enough in RO1. Sure the ppsh was a pain for Germans in early war maps but somehow matches by Germans were won a lot, with rifles and mp40s. The Mkb sure is unrealistic in Stalingrad but im hopeful that it can easily be modified to look like the stg44 and then added to late war maps that arnt based on Stalingrad.

Upvote 0
I want the option for the server to have a 'stock' option where everyone has equal gear (both teams snipers have same powered scopes, no heroes running around etc.) and just general 'everyone is on the same level' kind of idea. I like the persistent stat tracking, will be interesting to see what they include in it.

Upvote 0
I'll try with everything on, first, and then client-side disable everything that annoys me. (Which is what I currently do in Ostfront)

I prefer relaxed realism servers because they are not restricted, so I can restrict as I please myself. So I have the feeling that it'll give me freedom of choice. I don't want the server decide for me in what I get or not, and if restricting myself puts me on a disadvantage, so be it.

I'll play with heroes and unlocks on, because I have a psychological need to level up and unlocking **** (which is the very reason I'm against it being included)

Another reason I'll play relaxed realism is that I generally don't like playing with deathmessages turned off or delayed, I just find very satisfying the feedback I get when I kill somebody.

In relaxed realism, I expect to find a similar experience to what I get in Ostfront right now.

That's only the theory, cause until I try playing in several settings I won't know for sure. (For example, even though I hate deathmessages turned off, I really loved it that way when playing Kriegstadt, so there are no absolutes).

In reality I'll just jump into the lowest pinged populated server and see what happens.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All kind of styles, prefer realism when it comes to public gaming. As for clanplay it will most certainly have a custom rule set, how relaxed it will be i don't know but i don't have a problem with it. The gametype i am most looking forward to would be Countdown, it's gonna be interesting to see how the competitive community picks up on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm planning on trying both relaxed and realistic modes, then pick one that suits me well and stay with it. Even though they are both practically the same, with a few changes to the HUD. But it still depends on the servers, not just the modes.

But, of course, my first goal will be to go play singleplayer to get used to the controls and test the tanks, weapons before going to multiplayer. :IS2:

Upvote 0
Against my better forum judgement, I will say that I can enjoy fast paced arcade gameplay just as much as classic RO gameplay. I will play whatever keeps me entertained(What ever that may be, I have yet to find out till I play RO2). It seems people paint everything black and white too much. Realism or Relaxed Realism? Why not both. Either can be as fun as the other depending on the player's taste. :IS2:

Exactly what I think and mentioned a lot, so I will not elaborate.

The poll the OP linked to is bad in this case, it had no 'both' option...

Upvote 0
I'll play on servers that have maps where you have multiple objectives and routes. I hate push maps where the 1 till 100th time you play it always playout exactly the same especially in public.

Beside that I'll likely mostly play on private servers, or try to find servers with people of about equal skill. For public in regards to realism I generally do not care that much.

For matches the main thing for me is that both teams have the same chance of winning the match. And that the game doesn't try to help players too much in spilling all sorts of information that players imo should find out themselves.

Upvote 0