• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What is wrong with this game?

EvilAmericanMan

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2005
Palm Coast, FL
So I haven't played in a long time but I've had RO since pre-ordering for Ostfront started. I love this game! Or maybe I love the memories. The server browser just...confounds me it is so awful. Every server I click on will revert to 0/xx aka no players playing, even if when I clicked on it it was 24/32 or even 114/24. The only server(s?) that work(s) is/are the 24/7 Danzig one(s). Now all the maps in RO are fun. But that map is so overplayed I really think its the worst thing RO ever did, was include it. The only other maps I see are custom maps, usually some horrid Arad mutation. I've even clicked on the triple-digit ping servers (eew!) which I never do unless I'm desperate but those even do the same thing. And when I go to connect there's nobody in the server. Other times it will connect and I'll have to download huge files, and a lot of them. That's always bothered me but again the only ones that don't do that are the freakin Danzig servers!! I miss the days of playing on servers with a regular rotation, like Krasnyi or HedgeHog or Basovka (few ever learned how to play that on Germans, it seems).

OK so what was the point of this..yea, I see on the news page that RO is one of the top played games on Steam. That's pretty damn good considering what is on Steam (and considering how much its expanded over the past 1-2 years to include almost every game under the sun that's saying something.) But where is everyone playing? Anybody else having these server browser problems? It frustrates me so much that I read about people playing the game but when I go and try I have to download huge files. I end up playing Danzig in the end and get as sick of it as I did when I stopped playing PC games about 6 months ago. Is there still a big American playing base out there?

Last edited:
WB Evilami,

I don't know when you were checking the servers and I am not too qalified to comment on the state of US servers as I avoid them for the reason you avoid Euro sefvers, probably - the ping.

It is true that servers running various ultra-niche maps like Arad_slightly_darker_trees_than_usual_Beta17bv43 or Orel_180_minute_extended_remix_sharks_with_fricking_laser_beams_Beta5 are just a total turn off for anyone coming into the game (or, like you, coming back).

Basically the servers are avoiding the problems of the other type of server (24/7 one map and one map only) by going to the opposite extreme. variety for the sake of variety with not a thought to quality control.

Nothing pisses me off more than spending 20 minutes downloading a map to find that is was designed by a colour-blind 10 year-old on Ritalin wearing boxing gloves when he opens the editor who thinks that, to cite one sadly true example, a concrete bunker would be brightened up by a few nice oil paintings on the bare concrete walls.

Immersion factor zero, basically.

New maps DO need to be tested - there is no denying it - I just wish it were possible for that to happen exclusively on private servers.

There are a few well-managed servers that keep a healthy rotation of tried and tested maps - adding to that rotation with maps that are seen to work well on other, more experimental servers.

I won't mention any names but most people know which are those servers and, for those that don't, I am sure their admins will use this thread to advertise themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Psycho_Sam
Upvote 0
WB Evilami,

I don't know when you were checking the servers and I am not too qalified to comment on the state of US servers as I avoid them for the reason you avoid Euro sefvers, probably - the ping.

It is true that servers running various ultra-niche maps like Arad_slightly_darker_trees_than_usual_Beta17bv43 or Orel_180_minute_extended_remix_sharks_with_fricking_laser_beams_Beta5 are just a total turn off for anyone coming into the game (or, like you, coming back).

Basically the servers are avoiding the problems of the other type of server (24/7 one map and one map only) by going to the opposite extreme. variety for the sake of variety with not a thought to quality control.

Nothing pisses me off more than spending 20 minutes downloading a map to find that is was designed by a colour-blind 10 year-old on Ritalin wearing boxing gloves when he opens the editor who thinks that, to cite one sadly true example, a concrete bunker would be brightened up by a few nice oil paintings on the bare concrete walls.

Immersion factor zero, basically.

New maps DO need to be tested - there is no denying it - I just wish it were possible for that to happen exclusively on private servers.

There are a few well-managed servers that keep a healthy rotation of tried and tested maps - adding to that rotation with maps that are seen to work well on other, more experimental servers.

I won't mention any names but most people know which are those servers and, for those that don't, I am sure their admins will use this thread to advertise themselves.

Just lol.

(I agree totally)

Upvote 0
CaptRio said:
Try playing in TWB's or The Wild Bunch servers.

The problem with that is that TWB does not run tank maps (not long range ones anyway) trying to get long range tank achievement is impossible atm on TWB.They also unfortunately do not run many... er.. "epic" customs maps I mean I like most of them but there are some that lets just say need a bit of work (Ro-Vidzeme-no disrespect intended towards the map maker but atm it caters to spawn camping Russians).There should be no reason to settle for mediocre custom maps (RO-Danzig_remix) when there are some great no awesome custom maps out there for example RO-Gorlitz and RO-Kriegstadt these are just my favorite two there are map download sites that are full of great scarcely played maps. It would be nice if they were given a chance to shine on a good server like TWB.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"Orel_180_minute_extended_remix_sharks_with_fricking_laser_beams_Beta5"

when was the Shark mod released and where can I download it? what would be kewl is if someone could make it to where the sharks could ride in motorcycle side cars. maybe given um' a flamethrower instead of lazer beams -- I mean we should always think about realism and I think lazer beams is a bit over the top.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello everyone, over at our TWB servers we try to find a balance between standard and custom maps that will fit with the players on our servers. I personally love big open tank maps, but the server clears out of players when we had them on. We would like to add more and larger custom's. However, we find those maps drive our player counts down do to several reasons, the least of which is large downloads.

As it is now, we offer 3 50 player servers. 2 with custom maps, and 1 with all stock content. The maps we added where added because of several requests by the players who went to our forums.

We also have a server setup specifically for tankers called TWB "Red Tide" Pure Custom Tank Death Match. This server features tanks only on all the maps and has no capzones so it is for pure tank fragging. (The downloads are minimal)

We at TWB take all player requests seriously and weigh those requests against the lessons we have learned from running successful servers and then we make a decision. Our goal is to provide a server that has a respectful environment and is hopefully full of players. If you have any suggestions that you feel will contribute to making a more enjoyable server then please make a post in our forums.

Respectfully,

Upvote 0
All the TWB servers are full usually...the two wild bunch as well as Old glory sometimes...there some others with map voting like the "russian community" server which is well played

just find the handfull servers which are played all the time and

ADD THEM TO FAVOURITES !!!

if u have them in favourites the number of players are showed CORRECTLY in the favourite server list.

i dont know whats the problem with the main server list that it messes completely up the numbers of players...about 1 1/2 years ago it worked well there

Upvote 0
btw i think donwloadtimes are a big issue which causes many players to leave a server which was full the last map...

it maybe would be great to have a lot more maps loaded in the ro game independently of the server one playes...maybe one could just do a ro update so when i start ro the next time there is update be done via steam and lot of maps are added to the mapfolder and kept there

Upvote 0
Not sure who would be responsible for the quality control there - there are a a hell of a lot of custom maps out there and only a few of those worthy of a Steam release. By which I mean that there are not many maps worth the bandwidth and admin and all the extra HD space on everybody's computers that would be required.

Steam have had a couple of pretty good quarters but I doubt they have got rich enough to become total philanthropists yet .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The TWB servers are the best with variety for everyone around the globe, they have servers for everyone. Just add what is to your liking to your favorites.

As always I have to add the biggest problem with the RO/DH/CC/MN communities is, (ALL THE EGGS ARE IN ONE BASKET) so to speak. People that want to expand the community need to start filling servers that best benefit their gameplay, meaning players, PING, location, map selection, etc.

Several servers that are great in all respects sit there constantly empty and people come onto this forum saying they want this, they want that, they want servers with ONLY skilled players and the like, they want DH, RO, MN, CC.

These servers are there ALL THE TIME. People need to find a server with the BEST PING get in, bring friends, and those that own those servers will join. Then another server benefits by being FULL all the time and at particular times and a new community is born. Then those same people just need to return at those same times and make those server their own.

Myself and my buddy run our DH server and pay for it monthly just BECAUSE we CAN, it's not about the money it's about giving something to the community...

It sits empty all the time and we used to have some of the most skilled of all players playing on it and now those same guys are frequenting the constantly full servers. It's only common sense that everyone wants to play on full servers, but it takes players to make them full. As someone mentioned about Old Glory above sometimes struggling, well IT"S ALWAYS FULL when I need it to be and it's always the same players, and it's like one big happy family, everyone knows just about everyone.

The best experience in RO/DH/CC/MN is a server with the BEST PING period, it will be the least frustrating when it comes to gameplay. So folks find what you are looking for in a server (Empty or not) make it your own and start filling them up then just keep coming back.

Sorry, I'm done that was my rant... :D

Upvote 0
the problem is there are not enough players to fill all the servers, so we have to upgrade (maps etc.) the servers that are well known and played ...the twb servers...

noone needs new servers there are enough empty ones out there like u said...
it is not that the wishful things are not there in some of the many servers, it is that the wishful things are not on the servers that are played...

it is a big problem of coordination and collective acting to make a empty server full... i think u can see this as kind of a chain reaction...

if someone joins he will decide between tank or inf server and then jump in the servers with most players on it given that there is no other server with comparable number of players and and no better map... if that one server is full the server with second high number of players is filled...and so on...24/7 its a up and down....

depending on the size of the community there will always be only a certain number of servers that can be filled with that stream of players joining and leaving 24/7...and in case of the size of the ro community it is now just the 4-5 servers that can be filled are played...the community is not big enough to fill more servers...with that size the treshhold for filling more servers can not be reached...if that 4-5 servers are full someone joining the game will not join and empty server he will rather wait 2 mins till someone leaves...only if it would not be possible to enter within say 2 mins in a full server and there would be say 25 ppl waiting to join the treshhold for filling a new server would be reached...
and therfore its not worth to think about new servers but rather concentrate on that 4-5 still there...

i would even say that if there were less servers in ro more of them would be played cause the probability that those few players who can not join cause servers are full will join the same empty server would be higher and ppl then would rather join an empty server than waiting till a place is free...

btw. PING is really not anything that matters in the game...i have not had heavy lag in this game ever even if i have ping 300 or so...if slight lag occurs it is alos not a question of the high of the ping nor of the distance to the server....im in europe and never have lag on TWB servers but on some european servers i had slight lag sometimes...
MUCH more important is your system precisly the RAM in system... i found that out cause i have 2 Cpus in my room on which i have installed RO and when that one CPU had only 512mb RAM it was severe lag sometimes...now with 2GB Ram there is no lag at all also if PING is very high...

Upvote 0