• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics What is it with jumping on / over railings?

DotS

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Anyone else having the problem that jumping on or over railings seems to be more luck than anything else? I can't tell how often it simply won't work for absolutely unknown reasons. Is it a wrong angle (do you have to jump from a perfect right angle)? Is it chance? I sincerely have no idea, all I know is that I must've died countless times because the character just refused to jump over one of those railings when **** hit the fan.... No matter if it's the upper floor on farmhouse and I'm trying to jump down and out of the house, or e.g. in Paris on the upper floor of the cafe, trying to avoid the stairs down. Getting the character to reliably jump over it often feels like a coin toss.

Why is that? I sincerely played maps in Q3 defrag which were less of a gamble than jumping over a railing in KF2...

Reactions: slayer123
The jumping is very poor and could do with a few inches extra, cant believe that jumping should be so rubbish, there is a map called green street that has a fantastic system for getting over small walls and fences that in an official map you would get stuck trying to jump over , so maybe Tripwire should look in to that, or just give us some more clearance on the jumping.

Upvote 0
HAha I'm with you mate, I have a few friends who have copped it worse than others :D I found its been to be closer to railing when I jump/crouch to get up there, I swear there is a spot towards back end of farmhouse upper floor where no matter what you can't get up on railing though, I too have been killed plenty because I got too clever and the jump failed. Lets hope they look at it a bit further!

Upvote 0
I would love the KF2 maps to utilize the jump mechanic a bit more. You know something like a bridge, destroyed in the middle but the gap wouldn't be that huge and you could just jump over the hole.

I imagine it would require some updates for zed behaviour ( aka proper jump animation for zeds ) and most likely a new path-node? To allow zeds to trigger jump, just like it is done with the doors ( in sdk )

Upvote 0
This really irritated me in the first game as well TBH, bit sad to see it's still an issue in the second game. Can't jump over bins or anything small, too many invisible barriers.

It's a shame because the game is really short on map hazards, can't fall off cliffs or be pushed off by zeds etc.. because of the barriers.

Upvote 0
From experience it's definitely the following:
- you have to be up close to a railing before you can jump on it. Making fast escapes in Burning Paris MUCH harder than they need to be
- you can definitely jump from railing to railing, but the timing is really tight on this game, largely because of the jump height value
- You can jump down onto a railing in Catacombs, it's one of my favourite strategies when retreating
- Advanced usage of railing jump: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJZHoHuXySk (see 2:53, where he jumps from the railing to the side path)

The JumpZ value i.e. jump height variable deffo needs a boost though, like 0.1-0.5+? I know this isn't Mirror's Edge/Dying Light etc but I fully agree with OP and it would be nice to see it as a more viable strategy. Changing JumpZ would save you devs the trouble of changing the collision detection edges of every car/railing haha. :p

Reactions: Denks
Upvote 0
Does crouching while jumping even effect anything? I don't seem to have much success with that technique.

I think a lot of it comes down to invisible barriers and in some ways misleading map development. For example, in Paris, Nuked, Evac Point, and Hostile Grounds you can jump on a lot of the cars. So naturally you'd think this is possible with the old muscle-car in Farmhouse. Nope.
Some railings you can jump on, some railings you can't...
It may take a lot of time and effort but if the devs went back into the maps and made it so that anything appearing to be waist high can be jumped on that would be great...

While on the topic, I hate the jumping of the zeds in relation to poor pathing. Like, they'll be coming down a stairwell and you are positioned off to the side, and rather than take two more steps down and turn right they'll attempt to jump the corner of the railing. This not only happens very suddenly and catches you off guard, but it isn't animated well. Many times zeds will "snap" when they turn rather than, you know, turn, and I think the jump animation is very poor. The zeds seem to go against all semblance of physics when they do this. Speaking of physics, has anyone else noticed how the crawlers can turn mid-jump? They must have played a lot of Counter-Strike as little zedlings, because they know how to "strafe". It makes evasion by jumping out of the way only seldom work, as if you dodge laterally the zed can track you in air and still land a hit. It's straight up unfair!
Its especially annoying for a kit that relies on accuracy like the gunslinger and sharpshooter, the zeds move around in all kinds of unpredictable and unnatural ways that cause you to miss...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I usually jump over them quite well. However, I can't even count the number of times when I couldn't in a critical situation. A very famous example is the farmhouse balcony, when you're trying to jump off because of a bunch of FPs / SCs and a crumbling team.

That's not exactly a plus when it comes to movement in your shooter.

Upvote 0