• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What Instrument do you play?

I play the guitar and the flute. I've been playing flute for three years, made All-County once, had two excellents and one superior in the FBA competition; my orchestra as a whole made All-County and got straight Superiors and moved on to the MusicFest Orlando were we won Best Middle School; enough to say we were some of the best in the state. Unfortunately not the same in high school. It's a regular orchestra that sounds like a dieing cat. I haven't practiced all summer so I got extremely rusty, and haven't made any progress, I still know my 7 major scales and arpeggios so that's good. Not good enough in a class which also has Seniors and where I'm forced to sight-read Grade 5-6 music and then not even look at it the next day because our fickle Band director doesn't want to anymore. Then on the other extreme we play over simplistic crap such as instrumental arrangements of the vocals of Umbrella by Rihanna, not to mention that's an extremely terrible song to begin with. Then I have to sit some fat girl who thinks she's better at me even though she's not and thinks she can tell me what to do. I'm sorry if that turned into a rant but high school turned out to be an extremely bad twist for a once accomplished student musician. I might give up flute :'(

Also the guitar for a few months, entirely self taught. I can play Johnny B Goode, Wild Thing, Pretty Woman, and most of Stairway to Heaven. Learning to improvise and my goal is to sound like Eric Clapton and become a guitar god. I'm getting a Strat for my birthday so I won't have to practice electric guitar parts on a Spanish classical guitar. If anybody is any good with guitar, help me out and point me in the right direction.

Upvote 0
Piano. Fits for everything except Pop/Rock but if you use it for that anyway you can create a sense of sophistication without even having to back it up with a sophisticated text.:rolleyes:

And flute. Like everyone does but I learned how to play it on my own. I'm also shrubbing on my brothers guitar from time to time since he doesn't seem to use it himself. I can't really play but I can play a few songs.
I also found out I'm a singer during a session of "Singstar" over at a friend's (who thinks of a game like that?). I rocked everyone there except his girlfriend. She always hit the lines but sounded creepy doing it. :p
I guess you really have to be drunk to enjoy that game and since I don't drink that was my first and last session with it and its identical incarnations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Drums. I've played on and off for three years but I still suck. Probably have more hours on RO than on my set; that's a big problem right there...on top of the huge nest of black widows invading the garage and my house in general.

Note to self: always bring the Red Ryder when having an itch for a jam session. Tactical Entry by means of breaching rear garage door cannot be ruled out given the nature of the enemy.

Upvote 0
1992 Fender American Standard Telecaster: Sunburst/Maple Neck

1996 Fender American Standard Stratocaster: Vintage White(pale yellow)/Rosewood Neck

1972? Mossman Acoustic

Dabbled a bit on my fathers 75th anniversary Dobro, as well as his Electra and Fender Lap Steels.

Amp Silverface Fender Vibrosonic Reverb with JBL Wolfer refurbished by Dan Torres Custom Shop with an extra spring in the reverb tank.

EDIT: Interesting back story to the Vibrosonic amp, my Father picked it up for like $150. back in the 70's. The owner had been cheating on his old lady. She walked into the bar he was playing at and blew his brains all over the amp and his Les Paul guitar. Some other dood got the Guitar, my pa sponged off the Amp and brought it home.

:cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Drums, over 25 years.

None of the groups I was in got huge (or even fairly big), but I did get the chance to play in dive bars all over California, record, tour, get high, get laid, etc.

I got to meet a lot of biggies, though, which was pretty cool. One band I was in opened for Kansas and another opened for Cake several times.

I quit for a long time (wife, mortgage, etc.) but I've recently taken my set out of the attic and begun woodshedding and jamming with some friends. It's fun, but we suck, lol. I even missed clan practice last night to go jam. :eek:

I'll need another year or so to find my chops again and get back into playing shape, but I do have to say that playing drums really does something positive for me. It's like a good addiction. I try to leave, but they keep pulling me back...

Upvote 0
but I do have to say that playing drums really does something positive for me. It's like a good addiction. I try to leave, but they keep pulling me back...
You get to make music + you get good physical exercise in the process. Win win.

Also@Guitarists: I've got a 1964 Guild F-30. It's the best sounding acoustic I've ever heard. It's unbelievable. Guild makes the best acoustics IMO.

Upvote 0
Electric guitar. Epiphone Les Paul Standard, in honey burst finish. I suck through.

It's almost just like this (not mine): http://www.leadguitars.fr/images/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plus-vs.jpg

And I play the hairy banjo.

comicbanjo7yz.jpg

Upvote 0