• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server What do I need to host a server?

Coffee009

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2012
Ohio
Probably a dumb question, but one of my favorite servers, Happycat's Litterbox (64 player endless, custom maps) was shut down by the owner. I didn't realize how much I would miss it until it was gone. The server felt like an actual community rather than a one-off instance with six people. When I play killing floor 2 anymore, I just want to play on a high player count server and chill out with a bunch of people.

Would I be able to get away with making a 32 player slot server with just a laptop with 8gb of ram? What kind of Internet would I need? Is it easy to add plugins that allow more players or custom scoreboards?

Any help is appreciated. I want to avoid renting servers because I do not have that kind of money.

What CPU the laptop has is important.

Not sure how a high player count KF 2 server behaves but for sure it is easy to setup you just follow the WIKI for dedicated servers and install a standard server (see the pinned threads in this forum? read them).

https://imgur.com/a/XnzMxiU

Then once it is ready (installed MaxPlayers mutator and ScoreBoard mutator following their respective documentation on their respective Workshop pages) you'll simply have to test it with real players, and see how it hits/eats the CPU resources.
The higher your single core performance, the better. If you almost max out on a CPU core, then you'll start to see people lagging in game and it will be a bad experience, this is when you know you can't handle that much slots on your CPU (with these specific conditions regarding difficulty/map/gamemode/slots it is actually a whole but basically, too much slots).

Last edited:
Reactions: Coffee009
Upvote 0
Coffee009;n2330733 said:
Would I be able to get away with making a 32 player slot server with just a laptop with 8gb of ram? What kind of Internet would I need? Is it easy to add plugins that allow more players or custom scoreboards?

Yes, if you have 1gB of RAM free that's more than enough. 20mbps upstream is more than adequate. My 30 player servers rarely spike above 2mbps in total used. omano provided you pretty much all the other info alread.

Upvote 0