• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What Commander Abilities Would You Have?

I will have to chew on this a bit longer, but if a system to order bots / players underground could be implemented when an impending artillery strike was inbound it could soften the blow of superior US indirect fire. This is assuming tunnel system or underground bunkers would be available.

Another developing idea I had would be on US Attacking maps to have an ambush system for the VC to set up in order to take the attackers by surprise. This is all just brainstorming mind you, but a way to organize players / bots to take up defensive positions in a way that would allow them to spring an organized ambush onto US troops. L shaped or maybe an Echelon formation of defense? Then VC could then retreat into tunnels and reorganize for the next ambush possibly at next cap zone?

I am really just throwing things out there, let me stew on this for a bit and see if I can present this a bit more concise.

Upvote 0
This sort of ties into an overhaul of the squad system, but first make squads of equal size. Make it easier for squads to stay together and incentivise it.

For asymmetry, give the US static spawn points, but give the VC deployableable and destroyable ones. This would simulate the never ending struggle to locate the VC and enhance their ability to seemingly attack out of nowhere. If deployable points aren't possible, giving the VC many more spawn options via tunnels or spider holes would also work.

I'm never for spawn on SL, but this always gets shot down, so I would say give the VC a small advantage in respawn time to simulate the problem the US had in always having to take the fight to the enemy.

Give the commanders the ability to draw or place markers on universal maps to aid with squad and spawnpoint placement as well as where to set booby traps, and ambushes.

Give the VC a small advantage in time at the start of the map to set up as well. A 30 second head start?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Napalm strikes are a must. I assume that aircraft is limited to gunships and fighterplanes will not be present due to map size. So napalm strafe runs would be good as a commander ability.
AI gunships circling the map are a boner killer, this reminds me of Call of Duty since 2007. I'm playing multiplayer for the challenge with human players and not to fight AI.

Both sides should have access to mortars and artillery, however NVA should hae longer reload times or at best a smaller amount of arty call tickets.

As the war was also a lot of guerilla action, I would love to stand there as a female VC in a chipao smiling at the US soldiers and then plant my handbag filled to the brim with TNT near them and then hurry away. :D

Upvote 0
This sort of ties into an overhaul of the squad system, but first make squads of equal size. Make it easier for squads to stay together and incentivise it.

For asymmetry, give the US static spawn points, but give the VC deployableable and destroyable ones. This would simulate the never ending struggle to locate the VC and enhance their ability to seemingly attack out of nowhere. If deployable points aren't possible, giving the VC many more spawn options via tunnels or spider holes would also work.

I'm never for spawn on SL, but this always gets shot down, so I would say give the VC a small advantage in respawn time to simulate the problem the US had in always having to take the fight to the enemy.

Give the commanders the ability to draw or place markers on universal maps to aid with squad and spawnpoint placement as well as where to set booby traps, and ambushes.

Give the VC a small advantage in time at the start of the map to set up as well. A 30 second head start?

This reminds me of Project Reality, I like it!

Upvote 0