• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What car do you drive?

ahh really nice one Welt :cool:. Oval window in the rear, and if I'm not mistaken single bulb taillights. Very cool! Fully restore that baby :D

(any rust?)

The baseplate is nice and clean but the bodywork has "some" rust here and there. There are holes near the wheel wells (don't know if that's the word for it). Not a big deal, i'm going to restore it to the condition it was in Wolfsburg, October 1955 :p

Yeah, it's an oval. Much more nostalgia than those 1960-70 models with blinkers, door mirrors and stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Awesome, Welt. Was gonna say slam it, on some BRM's or raders', but restore to factory is also a really good option.
Unfortunately my van is still in my garage, not moving - so old pics will have to suffice. As soon as its running (this weekend *hopefully*), I'll get new pics up.

DSCI0012.jpg

VW2blank.jpg

04-11-07_1053.jpg

04-11-07_1048.jpg

Upvote 0
Awesome, Welt. Was gonna say slam it, on some BRM's or raders', but restore to factory is also a really good option.

Everyone would cut my nuts off if I did it "black 30hp lowrider with pearlescent paint" style. This one will be a full original looker mainly because I already have restored a 1950 BMW R35 motorcycle and people are waiting for a "perfect" restored vehicle, not a modded ride :rolleyes:. But luckily I got an orange 1968 beetle with permissions for ~100hp (freebie again:D). That will be the car I'm going to annoy ricers with.

Upvote 0
One day... I will drop a V8 into a VW... wait check that.... a Lada Zsiguli. :p ....or... a Trabi...
It will be a sleeper. Imagine a Lada looking stock pulling up next to a European sportcar at a stoplight and then opening up its headers and then dusting it when the light turns green.

Definately a Trabi, fiberglass body for the win! :D

Upvote 0
Oh, come on now. I'll forgive your naivity since you are so young.
No small block 442 ever blew the doors off of any small block '67-'69 Camaro. If your talking big blocks and the 455 W-30 for the 442, then lets talk ss369 or 427cid options for the Camaro (if you gotta quote Litres, then you ain't talking muscle.....).. iirc there were only 50 or so 350hp W-30 442's made by the factory. The 100 or so done by dealer's were hack jobs. The 68 455 W-30 Hurst/Olds 442 clocks a quarter mile in 13.37secs @ 104 mph. The 69 427 LZI Camaro screams through at 13.16 secs and 110 mph. Sorry ;)

I repeat. The Cutlass never is, never was a muscle car. It weighed a ton, handled like a bathtub and wouldn't stop for nothing. The 442 came along in response to the Pontiac GTO. While the 442 tried its best to be a muscle car, it was just a glorified gas guzzling tank. With the exception of the rare W-30, it wasn't until the '70's "Dr. Olds" 455ci version that the 442 was even viable. But the cars were still too heavy. By then it was too little too late. The Clean Air Act's 1970 revision pretty well sealed the fate of muscle.

(The first car I drove as a kid was a BMW 320i we bought at the factory in Munich and brought back with us when we returned from our stay in Europe. :D )The first American car I drove (when I was 15) was the 442 my Dad talked my Mom into using as her car. With the money I saved from an after school and weeked job, I bought a used '69 350 Camaro w/Muncie 3 speed sleeper for $900 my junior year in high school. (That setup held the stock record for the 1/4 mile for its class for quite some time...not my car though, mind you). I spent many a night under the hood or prepping for the new paint job of the year. Coincidently, I sold the car only about 4 years ago. Me and that car had been coast to coast, southern border to northern border. A lot of good memories gone (in exchange for a lot of good cash ;) )

There were only a few cars I feared on Friday nights. I stayed clear of '69 302 Z/28's (with the smog pumps removed), the 426 hemi 'Cuda's and (believe it or not) '69 AMC Javelin's. The Javelin's were rare, but you were better off passing on a race with one of them. Chrysler had some good ones, but most were too finicky or the owner's unable to tune them. The Muncie 3 speed and 3:73 rear end required a 4 speed jockey to be perfect. I stayed in first while they shifted from first to second. If they were any competion, they might get a nose on me when they hit second. About the time they shifted into 3rd, I hit second (iirc that was generally around 40-45mph). The race was all mine from then on. While they languished in 3rd the 3speed was just hitting the peak of its torque curve at 3200 rpm.......see ya later......

Every car maker had their muscle. Sadly Oldsmobile had a hard time stepping up to the plate with the 442. The family's Cutlass was a nice and luxurious ride. Compensation for eating dust I suppose.

I'm not knocking your car. The Cutlass (preferably with bucket seats and a console shifter though) was a nice ride and impressed the ladies). I hope you do the engine and body work yourself. It makes the whole experience so much more rewarding.

Floyd

(Oh, yeah. If you need a Quadrajet mechanic, I'm your man. They pass more cfm's and are more tuneable to a particular engine's power/torque curve than most give them credit for. I may have to dust off a few manuals, but lord knows I re-tuned many a one).

My buddies 76 Toyota Landcruiser 4x4 would blow the doors off any stock GM "muscle Car" ever made... 383 Stroker Motor with NOS injection. The thing would do wheelies on the freeway up to 100mph. =D

one day he was driving down Tennant to make a left on Monterrey Road and the rear wheel came off after the ~2 inch axle sheared off. I guess it had one NOS boosts too many. :D

Very nice rig Pavel. But I still think you should have painted it like a Clowncar. :cool:

Upvote 0
A bit small for you? :D

I'm posting pictures of my progress on the beetle HERE. Yes, it's a bit rusty...

Quite. Lol. Drove it up and down my road for the first time, to get a feel for it, and its annoying changing gear. I have to stick my right leg right next to the stearing column, in order to change into 1st, 2nd, and reverse :D
I nearly hit a big wooden shed thing, cos, the visibility on the rear corners in non existant - the right hand side mirror is next to useless atm - its half covered up by the window frame, and is shakey as hell. Luckily, I stopped with about an inch or 2 to spare. But yea, razzing up a 10mph speed limit road, at about 25-30 in a 1965 VW van, and skidding as I come to a halt, on the gravelly dusty road is certainly fun. Bloke came up to me, in his Mercedes, and said it was a beautiful car, and that he used to have some old VW vans, and advised me not to over - rev it :p Girls seemed to like it - Admittedly only about 3 went past, but they were all like :eek: and waving and stuff :D

I'll save your link to my favs ;)

Upvote 0
My buddies 76 Toyota Landcruiser 4x4 would blow the doors off any stock GM "muscle Car" ever made... 383 Stroker Motor with NOS injection. The thing would do wheelies on the freeway up to 100mph. =D

one day he was driving down Tennant to make a left on Monterrey Road and the rear wheel came off after the ~2 inch axle sheared off. I guess it had one NOS boosts too many. :D

Very nice rig Pavel. But I still think you should have painted it like a Clowncar. :cool:
But the question remains, would it blow the doors off any GM muscle car on NOS? I think not. Anyway comparing NOS to gas only is comparing apples to oranges..:rolleyes: (and wheelies up to 100mph is stretching things a little bit don't you think? ;):rolleyes::rolleyes:)

I've had the lug bolt studs sheer off several times in my '69z28. The most hazardous time was when I was driving down the interstate in New Orleans and the right rear brake drum set down on the inside of the rim. I managed to coast to the shoulder to stop. The drum rode on the inside of the rim until I stopped. My biggest fear was leaving the car. During the '70's, N.O. thugs were famous for stripping a stranded car in broad daylight and leaving it on blocks and it didn't take them long.

Upvote 0