• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What are You Reading?

Just starting on Angel of Darkness - Caleb Carr, sequel to Alienist. Appreciate the meticulous recreation of laste 19th/early 20th century realia of New York. A refreshing change of narrator shows a nice new perspective on events and sets out some traits in the characters previously not seen. Ought to be good.

Scourge the Heretic - Sandy Mitchel, a WH40k Dark Heresy PnP RPG tie-in novel, first of a two-part series and half-way through it. While the story is fairly interesting and competently told, with decent characters, it somehow feels too generic and doesn't ring true with my idea of WH40k. I guess that's what you got for not going after Dan Abnett (still got Eisnehorn and Ravenor to read, gah) - although I'm told Aaron Dembski-Bowden is the rising new star of Black Library fiction.
In connection with this, I've also just finished Blood of Martyrs, a Dark Heresy supplement and am half-way through Rogue Trader Core Rulebook, the RPG I think I'll be enjoying the most of the WH40k RPGs.

Finally, once I'm done with the DH tie-ins, I feel like going either for some David Lodge (finally, my wife's been nagging me about it for forever) or Thomas Pynchon. Think I'll go with Pynchon, as I've been putting off Mason & Dixon for far too long.

Yeah.

Upvote 0
Just starting on Angel of Darkness - Caleb Carr, sequel to Alienist. Appreciate the meticulous recreation of laste 19th/early 20th century realia of New York. A refreshing change of narrator shows a nice new perspective on events and sets out some traits in the characters previously not seen. Ought to be good.

I was not, on the whole, as impressed with Angel of Darkness as I was with The Alienist. I did not particularly like the "new character traits," and just ... in general I wasn't really happy with the direction that Carr went. I wanted more of the same, from the same characters ... not completely different, from the same characters. Completely different is best with new characters, IMO.

Anyway, just now I'm reading A Feast For Crows, by George R. R. Martin. It's the 4th book in Song of Ice and Fire, whose first book - Game of Thrones - is being shown on HBO right now.

Upvote 0
Started reading the Lord of the Rings again, only this time in English! (have read it more or less in Greek but since I came to the UK I thought I should buy it again and read it properly with nothing lost in the translation). Mind you I am a very, very slow reader so I am not sure if I can get through them before the summer ends, and by that time RO2 will hopefully be out which means I might not even finish it :D

Upvote 0
Richard Morgan "Altered Carbon"

what an awesome book, went halfway through and ordered all his other stuff ( besides the fantasy ****..hate elves and dwarfs ) ...srsly if you are even closely intrested in clever cyberpunk/si fi get his work !!!

And some LEM on the sideline...

I told you so, read the sequels too :p

Upvote 0
Reading these four:

A Clash of Kings (book 2 of Ice and Fire)
L.A. Confidential
Weimar Germany: Promise and Tragedy by Eric Weitz
The Face of the Third Reich by Joachim Fest

Dude, what do you think of Clash of Kings?

I just finished A Feast for Crows the other day. Can't wait for the next one ... little over 2 months to go ...

I'm reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies right now.

Upvote 0