• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What are You Reading?

Picked up some books at our local Borders, since it was closing for good..:

Shattered Sword: The untold story of the battle of Midway
Armor Battles of the Waffen SS, 1943-45 (as much as I dislike the waffen SS, and hate the totenkompf.)
The History of WWII
An illustrated 'encyclopedia' of sorts for WWII armor
The Art of War (yes that one)
Tao Te Ching (Taoist writing is very interesting to me)

Upvote 0
Sounds interesting! Is it something like All quiet on the western front? Basically?
Written in 1922, from a literary standpoint it's not up to par. The author writes rather crudely and it's "tainted" with the post war anger and shock. But since I've read a lot of this kind of books lately, it's incredibly interesting how much the experiences on the same front differ and still are the same. The book I have here was prined in 1942 and is the 9th print-run, adding a foreword saying the author "heroically" died in in 1941 on the eastern front. Surprisingly, there is no nazi propaganda in it at all, it's actually rather pro-Slavic, sharing a lot of sympathy with Russians and is very much anti-Italian.

Still, if you're into this kind of stuff and you can actually find a copy that isn't in German then it's definitely a good read.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'll be getting down to reading "Club Dumas" by Perez-Reverte Arturo shortly, just ordered it. It's the book the movie "The 9th Gate" is based on and since I've recently bought the soundtrack for it as I was randomly browsing through the soundtrack rack (and this is some very good music we're talking about here, Wojciech Kilar's work) and that got me to take a look at the Wiki entry for that film, which reminded me that it was based off that book.

Yeah, so that'll be something I'll read with gusto, as I consider the film to be a masterpiece and the book is promising to be up to par as well.

Upvote 0
Currently reading Walden: Or life in the woods by Henry David Thoreau.
It puts some interesting questions forward about society, even though it was written in the 1800's! But because of that the writing style is a bit hard to follow sometimes for a person who's native tongue isn't English.
I really have to concentrate to really get the message sometimes :)

After this i'm gonna read Ultimate High: My Everest Oddysey by G

Upvote 0
What are some good and essential history books on the Third Reich (that are NOT David Irving type crap)?
Anything by Guido Knopp.
faceg.gif

Upvote 0
I really like zombie related books. Now I'm "trying" to read "Day by Day Armageddon" by J.L. Bourne. I'm "trying" because I just can't stand the stupid and brainless attitude (at least in the first chapters) of the book towards the "bad country of China" and the "evil communists". If every character of the book has that stupid stereotypical and chauvinist U.S. hollywood mentality, the book will be shelved permanently in a while

:mad:

Last edited:
Upvote 0