• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server What are the prerequisites for a server to be seen in the servers list ?

Splatpope

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2012
Belgium
All in the title, both ingame and on the steam servers window.

I'm having quite the hard time here as my server is hosted on a wonky configuration :

Internet <> Front Router (PF, NAT, QoS) <> Back Router (DNS, DHCP) <> Servers (A lot of stuff including Web hosting, smtp, ...) and a ~200 units LAN.

The Back Router obviously passes all packets and the Front Router does the majority of the firewalling job. It's a FreeBSD running Packet Filter.

Anyways, what I'd like to know is how a server makes it to the server list, to what it communicates and how.

EDIT:

Haha well **** me, after waiting approximatively 3 minutes, my server finally appeared. It's called "Magellan - Killing Floor" (normal diff) if anyone wonders. I am able to join it from the ingame server list aswell as steam's.

Still, I'd love to have an answer to my question as it is quite interesting to have the info.

Though now I wonder why it took 3 minutes for it to appear...

Last edited:
You dont always have to wait for your server to appear on the list as you can just join through the lan tab.

My personal computer isn't in the server's VLAN, actually we're 30 km apart. I could simply login into our VPN to do that but my goal is to make the server available to everyone, and if they need to wait 3 minutes for it to appear, it's no good

Upvote 0