• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What about consoles?

Moskeeto

Dec 29, 2011
Personally, I don't care about consoles and don't own any either.

However, I can see this being a game that the console market would eat up. It would only benefit TWI to do so. Look at how wide an audience Payday 2 reached just by being multiplatform.

Another thing I would like to see is crossplatform play with PS4 users, much like Portal 2 did on the PS3. It seems only Sony would be open to allowing this. I think it would help to promote a much larger and thriving community.

However, I do see that there would be many problems with implementing this, especially when it comes to patching and content updates. The consoles would most likely hold that back. I wouldn't think console users would have too much of a disadvantage with a controller because this is a co-op game.

If you guys do plan on a console release, it would also be nice to have gamepad support on the PC. I would love to play split-screen on my PC with someone else using a gamepad. This is a feature more PC games need and only Serious Sam 3 has perfected it to my expectations.

Sure. Why not. It'll just need to be a delayed release for consoles if this happens and that'd suck.

There's a few early access games that are targeting consoles as well.

Mercenary Kings was early access and released on consoles once it was completed. The Golf Club, currently in early access, is targeting release on consoles. The release also doesn't have to be simultaneous.

Upvote 0
However, I can see this being a game that the console market would eat up. It would only benefit TWI to do so. Look at how wide an audience Payday 2 reached just by being multiplatform.

Another thing I would like to see is crossplatform play with PS4 users, much like Portal 2 did on the PS3. It seems only Sony would be open to allowing this. I think it would help to promote a much larger and thriving community.
OMG i love playing PD2 (on PS3), and yes, im very jelly about the Steam version.
Yes, this game would do so much for the game, especially since TreyArch isnt releasing the next CoD game, which means we have to wait even more years for another Zombie installment!

Sure. Why not. It'll just need to be a delayed release for consoles if this happens and that'd suck.
You make it sound as if TWI didnt have this planned 2 years ago.

Upvote 0
Well, I wouldn't be against it if TWI judged it was worth it. I really liked the system CDPR was having with Witcher 2, first do the developing for PCs and then port it to consoles. I'm not an expert, but the currently common approach seems way backwards: first develop a game with PCs for consoles and then try to upscale it back for PC, what the hell.

TWI guys don't seem to care for consoles much (rightfully so) but they'd probably make lots of dosh for a relatively small effort porting to consoles. Then again there's Valve who'd obviously prefer KF to stay on Steam. I don't really care as long as the possible port doesn't artificially delay PC release.

As for controllers, isn't there supposed to be support for that Steam controller?

Upvote 0
I disable aim assist in almost every FPS on consoles that I play and do completely fine. Aim assist isn't really all that needed, IMO.

Except when you are trying to land multiple headshots on an erratic moving target (ie FP), or multiple targets. I have used a controller with KF, and it was pretty bad. Stuff like demo, Firebug and (without uppercuts) Support was fairly easy, but when you got onto Sharp/Commando it got a lot harder. Meh, some might find it easy, but I don't think you would be able to play a game like this on the highest difficulties without a mouse.

Upvote 0
I couldn't care less if they never made a console release, but I could see it as being more revenue for Tripwire which isn't a bad thing. IF they did a console release I would want it be a long time after the PC launch is finished and running smooth, and as long as it doesn't take any time and manpower away from the PC game.

Upvote 0
Please no TWI. Not because I dont want more people playing, but because of updating. At the rate you guys update your games, you will have a very angry crowd of customers.

Look at the Console players for Payday 2. Theyre huge amounts of patching behind and quite angry because of it. Mostly due to the QA thats involved. On top of that MS charges for updates last I knew.

Upvote 0
I hope if they make any console editions, they do it as an afterthought; after release. It would be a shame if they consolized the gui for even the PC version (eg skyrim) but I know TWI is better than that.

As for console players and PC players on the same servers, CSGO wanted to do that, but it didn't pan out because updating PC versions is so much easier. I'm assuming TWI is planning on a good amount of updates, too.
Also mouse vs control stick, but KF is just PvE coop, so the advantages wouldn't be as big of a deal.

Upvote 0
I would like to see a console release, especially if it means they can do cross platform multiplayer. And besides, iw would mean more money for TWI, and more players, so I don't really see a downside other then the work to port it over. (which from my understanding isn't to horrible)

No, I do not want cross platform multiplayer. Most games don't allow that for the simple fact of the disparity between controllers and mouse movement/aiming. Same reason why I wasn't in favor of having controller support in the PC release either on the thread in Ideas and Suggestions. While KF isn't exactly a competitive game like Counter Strike and others, I really don't want to have situations where we have console players being a liability on teams with mouse/keyboard players. IF they have cross platform, I'd at least want a filter to remove those servers from my list. Personally, I don't want it allowed at all. I don't want to have to cut my server list in half.

If they do have controller support, limit it to Valve's controller since that appears to have more fine tuned aiming than if you used analog sticks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It would have to have mad aim assist and some really intuitive UI changes to work with a controller (judging by the original KF). It would definitely be beneficially to TWI fiscally and publicity wise though.

I have nothing against a multiplat release, go for it.

Another simple fix is do not allow console players to join any games over HARD difficulty. problem solved.

Upvote 0
In addition to whatever other concerns I have, I think cross platform play would present more technical challenges than TWI would have time and money to deal with while still focusing on the PC release which they should be doing first and foremost. It's not like we're talking about EA or some big publisher. I want them to concentrate fully on the PC game even after release.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here's something to consider:

[url]http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JohannesAspeby/20140507/217079/Postmortem_Sanctum_2.php[/URL]

I recommend skipping to "What went wrong" part, something may catch your eye.
Ha, I knew it all along. They ruined the tower defense of the game because of console controls and console limitations.

But yeah, so long as TWI has PC as the primary development platform target, then I have no complaints of them porting down to the peasants in consoletown. So long as TWI doesn't pull a FROM software (PC is the main platform!) then we should be fine if they become cross platform.

I disable aim assist in almost every FPS on consoles that I play and do completely fine. Aim assist isn't really all that needed, IMO.
You may do fine, but you don't do anywhere near as good with a controller compared to somebody with a mouse. The preciseness of Killing Floor demands a mouse or mad aim assist for controllers.

Upvote 0