• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map WF-CarentanCauseway

I'm happy to report that the failure to spawn phenom has been eliminated with B2.
All seems well.

The German FJG are faced with a situation where they are confronted with US airborne in their faces almost immediately.
There is little time for positioning. This makes the scenario very exciting from the onset. Both sides have the task of
grabbing cover before one side or the other gains a foothold.

Upvote 0
Cant describe how happy am I , that the spawn problem has been eliminated. I made some defences for the germans right in front of the bridge to be all in ready, should be little artisty here. Also lighting and whole layout should be fine. I also have made better BSP building with some improvements all over the map. I'm in another city right now, so I will not be able to play hard GPU and CPU games for 10 days.

Upvote 0
Hey there! I have some bugs to report:

Random pothole in the river infront of the two story barn (by B) that traps a player once they have fallen into it
http://i.imgur.com/yh5SX1C.jpg

Halftrack just behind the C cap bridge has no collision enabling players to hide in it and can be shot clean through
http://i.imgur.com/Q4Ocbq6.jpg

Also, not really a bug but would it be possible to tone down the music in the building by B? It is absolutely deafening lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey Dumpling, we played the map a couple times on Bloodbath tonight. Some people even posted on the Workshop page after with some feedback. But I'm going to post all the notes I collected from both myself and the public about the map from tonight:

- Perhaps add 25 tickets to attackers and reduce time by 5-10 minutes. Both instances left too much time to spare and came down to tickets anyway.
- Reorganize role loadouts to have four squad leaders and an equal number of roles in each squad. the entire team essentially belongs to one squad.
- Something is wrong with the other squad leaders being unable to spawn players. My guess is that you didn't set them as SLs in the role loadouts but still have the SL roles in the squads themselves. Only the TL and SL1 can provide arty marks, probably because of this.
- Consider having two sniper roles.
- Reduce the volume for the radio playing music, as it's quite loud.
- Maybe add a couple more buildings to fight over.
- Add a lot more cover to the flanks, and perhaps more wrecked vehicles/potholes on the highway itself.
- Perhaps make the ground less flat and with more variation around the first bridge.
- German half-track by C has no collision and players can hide inside of it, as well as shoot through it (are you using the skeletal mesh?)
- Players cannot deploy MGs in B. Double-check all your cover nodes.

Here's a demo of the first play-through in case you want to examine the pacing: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ci9taz38ft0jyyb/CC1.demo?dl=0

I wasn't sure if the Germans were forced back because of large spawn protection volumes, but it felt like they were constantly retreating and Americans just shooting them in the ass (quite fun either way). The biggest resistance was at the last bridge. Normally, I dislike having to run long distances from spawns to the front-line. But in this map's case, I like the way you have it; it really creates an interesting pacing dynamic.

Beautiful map, though. People really love it. Just keep polishing it. Keep up the great work, Dumpling!

Upvote 0
Played this a couple times on 40-1 this week.

Personally, I also loved the map because the terrain is not just pretty but historically accurate and 'feels' exceptionally realistic. But also because of that it was very tough for the attackers. Therefore a lot of other folks did not like the map at all and lots and lots of moaning. I dunno if that was unusual but it looked like the map is indeed unbalanced.

Your mileage may vary of course, but a couple of ideas, how to balance the playability while maintaining the authentic feel :

Historically, the battle happened with some days of artillery and mortar exchanges, and a smoke screen that covered the successful attack. So 1) Shell holes. Some well placed groups of shell holes, even shallow ones, so the attackers can work and dash from cover to cover. Like BM said specially up to the first bridge. 2) Smoke.... Is there a way to spawn random/periodic smoke? Maybe one could compensate by adding some "standing" smoke from fires and perhaps some ammo dumps so SLs can stock up.

Upvote 0
First off, very atmospheric map. Nice!

A few things I noticed so far:

- the windows in B sometimes can't be mantled and you will stay ontop of the frame rather moving inside.
- artillery kills you inside the building, if this is meant to be, forget I mentioned it.
- foliage such as grass and bushes are disappearing on long distance, meaning you are lying in the open and not as you believed in good cover.
- artillery is too frequent, Americans called it like every 2 minutes. (That would be an artillery to defend Apartments successfully)

Keep up the great work!

Upvote 0
Seems the draw distances need to be redone people were getting shot in foliage where they believed they were fine, and hidden from the enemy.
As well as the artillery, if it isn't mortars, make them bloody mortars (and double time for the cooloff), because currently it essentially blocks off all possible routes of attack (Besides suicidal, ie in the water). Don't mess with the default lightmass/worldinfo/dominantlight settings, I'll be blunt, it looks really really bad. Hedge dirt materials need to be blended with the terrain, as well as replacing the dirt on the materials with another, looks weird.

Upvote 0
I forget everything I keep passing along to you via Steam but the continued improvements are noticeable. Just a couple things I can remember off the top of my head this time:

The music in the building is missing entirely now even though it only needed its volume lowered.

And then there are some odd post-effect volumes that you can see "tunneling" down the center of the map. If you look at the sky real closely down the center, you can see faint outlines of box-shaped volumes.

Keep up the good work, though; looks great.

Upvote 0