• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Well deserved EA, well deserved

Electronic_Arts_old_logo.png

Remember that logo? That was back when EA was still pretty good.

I remember reading a statement from the original developers of EA back when they were still young and it was a very moving piece. They called themselves a group of electronic artists who would strive for quality and creativity; i really do wonder what happened.

Upvote 0
Electronic_Arts_old_logo.png

Remember that logo? That was back when EA was still pretty good.

I remember reading a statement from the original developers of EA back when they were still young and it was a very moving piece. They called themselves a group of electronic artists who would strive for quality and creativity; i really do wonder what happened.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/an-open-letter-to-ea-marketing

That article is quoted towards the end of this video. The whole thing is very good and worth a watch tho.

Upvote 0
Yes, that's it. Out of the blue people from various parts of the world, from various cultural and financial backgrounds, suddenly started hating EA just because "they need something to hate". It's just by random chance that all these people picked EA as the target for their hatred. EA had absolutely nothing to do with it. It's an awesome company and deserves our love.
How about you write my posts instead of just picking out certain lines and misenterpreting them on purpose?

Who's talking about various parts of the world? This poll was about american companies so my guess would be that mainly US citizens voted. Now besides the fact that if you seriously "hate" a gaming company you ought to have some serious issues, look at what I actually wrote:

Gamers are pissed off by EAs increasing habit of releasing more and more (sometimes even already on-disc) DLC, the introduction of Origin together with the spyware scandal thingy and other business-oriented decisions that leave a bitter taste in peoples' mouths, not because they produce ****-*** games.

And yes, especcially gamers often take their hobby too serious which often amounts in huge ****storms. As a result of that they need to focus that hate somewhere, and where does it fit better than aimed at the industry leaders. Sometimes that is justified, sometimes it's just plain stupid and done because people are already used to hating that specific company. It was Activision the last few years, now it's back to EA. It's so easy to see through, you just lack the distance because somehow you act as if the population of your whole village/city including your loved ones was annihalated by EA bombs.

It was 'in' when they took over - and then closed - westwood ten years ago - i thought it was 'out' now but it seems EA hate has gone mainstream.
And that is exactly what I mean.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As greedy as EA is, this "award" is just plain silly. I hesitate to compare them to the likes of Bank of America and so many other big US companies that raped people's savings during the economic crisis.

At the end of the day, people are not bound to buying EA's games -- they have a choice. With many of these insurance companies, people got mortgages with no idea that they would go rotten in a few years, resulting in many losing EVERYTHING while the execs at the top got rich.

Yes and no..

Without question, BoA is the greater evil here, so if we were to cast the vote only for the greatest evil, they should have won this "award".

However, that's not usually all that is considdered when handing out awards, but rather, it is just as much to raise awareness, and the simple fact of the matter is that BoA's shady dealings are allready well known, this stuff is on the news, people know of this.

The shady dealings of the game's industry however, that's not mainstream news, and it's simply not known to a lot of people outside of gaming communities, and quite frankly, it'd be a very good thing if that were to change, because this industry needs a good comb-thru by consumers rights organizations, when we buy a game we have accept a bunch of retarded crap that no other industry gets away with..

So if you think about it, it does make sense to hand the award to EA, cockups by the likes of BoA is allready big news and giving them this award woulden't make it any more or less known to the public, but who's raising awarenes about the games industry outside of gaming communities? Giving this award to EA is a chance to do just that.

Upvote 0
Yes and no..

Without question, BoA is the greater evil here, so if we were to cast the vote only for the greatest evil, they should have won this "award".

However, that's not usually all that is considdered when handing out awards, but rather, it is just as much to raise awareness, and the simple fact of the matter is that BoA's shady dealings are allready well known, this stuff is on the news, people know of this.

The shady dealings of the game's industry however, that's not mainstream news, and it's simply not known to a lot of people outside of gaming communities, and quite frankly, it'd be a very good thing if that were to change, because this industry needs a good comb-thru by consumers rights organizations, when we buy a game we have accept a bunch of retarded crap that no other industry gets away with..

So if you think about it, it does make sense to hand the award to EA, cockups by the likes of BoA is allready big news and giving them this award woulden't make it any more or less known to the public, but who's raising awarenes about the games industry outside of gaming communities? Giving this award to EA is a chance to do just that.
I understand what you're saying, but I think there are plenty of other companies out there that could receive an award such as this after Bank of America. As bad as EA is, I think it's pretty far down the list of ****ty companies that **** people over daily, just because of the fact that its power to **** people over is entirely based on whether people choose to buy its products.

Upvote 0
Its the customers own decision. When you buy a product you support it. Since many people buy EA Games products they are supporting it, meaning, that they accept this kind of behaviour. Its not the gaming companies who set the standard for their business. If they sold dog poop, and people would buy it, they would keep on to do so because they earn money. So in the end of the day its the customers own fault.

People should pay more attention to ethics and this problem would not exist.

Upvote 0
I understand what you're saying, but I think there are plenty of other companies out there that could receive an award such as this after Bank of America. As bad as EA is, I think it's pretty far down the list of ****ty companies that **** people over daily, just because of the fact that its power to **** people over is entirely based on whether people choose to buy its products.

Well think further, how many of them allready won the award (such as BP who got it last year)? And how many of them have allready been flogged by mainstream press over their actions, and thus not really needing this award to raise awareness about them beeing douches? Chances are, most companies you could think of, you can think of because there was some major scandal about them in the mainstream press..

Meanwhile, let's not fall into the trap of saying "oh but they are just games", because it's not just games, the videogames games industry is one of the wealthiest industries on the planet, more money changes hands here than i can fathom, games are a bigger buisness than Hollywood and the music industry combined, and yet we take those seriously.

Money is power, and to trivialize an industry with this much of it is not wise..

Upvote 0