• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Weekly Stuck on "BOOM' For 3 Weeks

I don't think this will fix the issue as it seems that your game server just can not receive the remote time from the external NTP service.I would maybe check firewall if you have one and make sure the port 123 is available first, and make sure there is nothing on NFO side that may prevent this port to be reached from your machine to the internet.

Upvote 0
That means they would have had to just recently close that port, as the Weekly server worked perfectly up to around the Spring Update.

The port appears to be open. I have a "Wipe" scheduled for the server to start fresh and will try Weekly with stock files and maps once the wipe is done. If that does not work, then will just set it as our third Endless Server. Thx for all your help Romano.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wipe was completed so that server is stock now. Checked the logs and that same thing is there.

[0001.65] Log: [FSocketWin::Bind] Binding to 216.239.35.4:123 [0001.65] Log:

*** Updating timed game events [0001.65] Log:
**** Current Time: 1900 1 1 0 0 0 [0001.65] Log:
**** World start in seconds: 1492491600 [0001.65] Log:
**** Current time in seconds: -1 [0001.65] Log: **** Intended weekly index: -2467

I have the server set to Endless Mode as I am tired of trying to fix it.

Upvote 0
I checked and all 8 of our KF2 servers have the same log entry as above. I am trying to get clarification with NFO that UDP Port 123 IS actually open on those servers. OH MY EYES!

** Response from NFO>

"We did have some blocking in-place for NTP, due to some large-scale amplifications attacks a few years back. Is the NTP server able to be adjusted, or is this hard-coded? I had a quick look over some more common KF2 configs and I don't see a way to adjust away from using Google's time server listed in that log snippet."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As far as I know it is hardcoded.

edit: Ask them to allow this port, honestly I don't see what it would change, if you receive an attack on the machine it is not blocking a single port that will prevent that, and also I'm curious how they can sell KF2 servers by blocking one of the mandatory ports for one of the game modes lol... Preventing your machine to be able to contact a remote server on port 123 is just... wow... useless and not professional to not even tell the customer beforehand..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, I got a response from the CEO at NFO. He said they do not block this port. As I said earlier, our Weekly server worked perfectly before.

He asked if I had all our servers set for a restart at the same time. It may be causing problems with all the KF2 servers trying to communicate through the same port, NTP UDP 123, all at once at the same time. I had changed all the servers to restart at the same time in the morning. So I went back and deselected the restart times and left them all to restart on their own when they are empty.

Rechecked the logs and it now appears they are communicating with the Google Time Server. HOWEVER.......................
like so many others, I can NOT get one server to change and play the "Weekly". No matter what I tried, through Web Admin or through manually editing of files on said server, the Weekly will not engage. THIS............. needs to be addressed by Tripwire. There is no reason changing a game mode should be so difficult for so many.

When I first set one of our servers to Weekly, it took me forever also. Now, I am just tired of messing with it!!

Upvote 0
Well, I could not get a server to switch to a Weekly event server. Hopefully, Tripwire finds something that is preventing/or at the very least, making it so difficult to get a server set to run the Weekly. For now, no Weekly servers at GeezerGaming. We have 3 set to Endless, which by the way is so simple to actuate, edit the command line, restart and voila, server is set to Endless...........and 5 servers set to Survival of various lengths and difficulties, which is also easy to set up and start. But for some reason, the weekly gives me and others fits. :)

And I also want to, again Romano, thank you for your valuable input to this matter. The CEO at NFO, John, is very interested in what Tripwire might find out about this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Several of us at GeezerGaming have been jumping in to various WEEKLY servers to check things out. Something very interesting is going on. Many, many of them set to Weekly are doing the same thing our Weekly server is doing. Showing Poundemonium but most are actually playing BOOM. Couple others are playing something else. Did find some that did play it correctly. I also noticed that about half of the Weekly servers listed in the Server Browser show a difficulty of HARD and the other half show a difficulty of SUICIDAL. How can that be? Don't the Weekly Events have differing difficulties depending on the EVENT for that week? So it is NOT just our server having issues with the Weekly. Evidently, there is something very wrong with the Weekly Event stuff.

Upvote 0
Foster Parent

Ok, the CEO at NFO Servers (John) has been working on this since my support ticket there got handed up to him. We have been trying various things on our GeezerGaming Servers.

It's all an NTP error because of the code written.

Here are John's exact words:

"I've dug into this further and it looks like it is caused by a bug in their code related to this message..

[0003.53] Log: [FSocketWin::Bind] Binding to 216.239.35.4:123

When an application "binds" a socket (using bind()), what that does is set its source address to a local IP. So what they are doing is telling Windows to use 216.239.35.4 as the source for the outbound connection they're about to make.

They then make a sendto() call to request the time -- sending a UDP datagram using that same connection -- and for that call, they reuse the source IP from the bind() call (I can't tell why they do that).

On some systems, the bind() call that they're making would return an error, because that IP address clearly isn't locally available. But, our setup here overrides their mistake and puts in a valid IP address -- 74.91.114.176, for instance, with the server that I've been testing with today (kf2gzr2) -- allowing it to succeed. Their follow-up sendto() call is then using this same IP address, 74.91.114.176, as the endpoint, and it fails.

To fix their bug, they'd need to adjust their bind() call to use the correct IP address that is specified on the server's command line (with a port of "0" so that Windows uses the next available one). They do correctly specify the IP address for later bind calls already:

[0003.85] Log: [FSocketWin::Bind] Binding to 74.91.114.176:7777
[0004.81] Log: [FSocketWin::Bind] Binding to 74.91.114.176:8080

It's an interesting bug, and I'm surprised that they didn't catch this sooner, since it shows up in the log. (Personally, I had previously assumed that they just made a mistake in the log line and weren't actually doing the bind improperly, but capturing their system calls externally confirmed what is really going on.)"

Hopefully, this will help lead Tripwire to the fix.

Upvote 0
Foster Parent

Was anything ever discovered, adjusted or fixed relating to this problem? We still can not run a Weekly Event as it will not change to the correct weekly event. NFO says it is you guys, we tested ourselves by jumping in to other servers set up for weekly event. It appears that only the NFO servers are having this issue. Is there any reason that you or your tech guys might know of that would cause only one server provider to have this problem? We are stumped and has a lot of our players upset.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not really qualified, but in my opinion it is not TWI fault directly, as it properly works almost in every condition for everybody, but for NFO. Problem may be rooted in game code, but it is most likely because of weird/complicated network at NFO servers I think.

I hope they'll both find solution for you because it's getting a little old of an issue now... I feel your frustration... don't give up man :)

Reactions: fwfdf1reman
Upvote 0