• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weekly community campaign battles [Idea]

Nimsky

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Elitist Prick Nude Beach
I wasn't sure where to put this; the general discussion area or the squads/clan area. Considering my idea is about a public event I thought I'd put it here. Mods: feel free to move the thread if you feel this is the wrong section for this thread.

Recently I played Mount & Musket (Napoleonic mod for Mount & Blade: Warband), which is a lot of fun. The M&M community hosts weekly line battles in which you join a side and fight in a 200 player battle. It's a public event but everybody is on TeamSpeak and the whole thing is organized. See this thread.

So this got me thinking, why not do something like this for RO2? Considering RO2 will have 64 player battles I think RO2's multiplayer campaign will be very suitable for events like that. It would be a great way for people to play in large organized battles without having to join a clan or a tournament like Iron Crescendo. I have nothing against clan play or IC but it's not for everyone. Not everyone has the time for that. But a weekly public event, no strings attached but still organized, would be very interesting.

All you need is an RO2 server and a TS host, and you're set. The weekly battles can be announced in a forum thread, where people can sign up and get all the info they need. Then when everybody is on TS people split up in channels / squads, otherwise the communication gets too cluttered. Every squad will have a leader (clan players can take up that task) and each team is led by one company commander. Then both teams duke it out in the multiplayer campaign, with the goal of winning the Stalingrad battle.

Of course, there should be clear rules and these should be strictly enforced, otherwise the whole thing becomes a cluster****. And just so you know, I'm not implying that I'm going to be the one who will organize the event. I'm just planting seeds. :D

Thoughts?

Last edited:
It's a good idea, but I belive it would be better to just give pub servers tools and push them into a form of teamwork, like a BF2 squad system. But make it mandatory. So organized teamwork becomes what you get in pub servers.

But the idea of a community event, If an organized even takes place every saturday for instance hosted by TWI themselves for instance, in many years time. It would be a way of keeping the community together, in short term and long term. Sounds fun. :)

Upvote 0
I think that IC BFE or something similar is exactly what you are looking for. In all those systems you just have to sign up for a team and basically play, putting more time into it is only if you prefer to do so.

Things are similar with clan gaming in that sense. You join a clan that suits your needs, you don't need to be competitive and loads of clans do not really expect or require a lot of activity from their members. You have clans more focussed at public play and clans more focussed at clan play. In the end a clan is purely a group of people that like to play together.

Upvote 0
It would be something worth a try. I can't speak for BFE, but IC was definitely not what Nimsky is describing.

I started to set up something similar when IC went south. To keep the campaigns fresh, fun and to encourage getting to know fellow players/opponents and sportsmanship, I was working towards a system where people joined and were randomly assigned a team for the campaigns. But by this time, RO was on the wain and the BFE and IC 'tournaments' left half the community mad at the other half.....:(, so things never really got off the ground. While fine for the history and Tactics II buffs, IC required a lot of hands on adminstration and map manipulation. The leaders had to be in it for the long haul and it was a little too cumbersome for the average joe to become fully involved. Something organized but simpler would be fun for the average player, imo. I know I would enjoy it.

Upvote 0
It would be something worth a try. I can't speak for BFE, but IC was definitely not what Nimsky is describing.

I started to set up something similar when IC went south. To keep the campaigns fresh, fun and to encourage getting to know fellow players/opponents and sportsmanship, I was working towards a system where people joined and were randomly assigned a team for the campaigns. But by this time, RO was on the wain and the BFE and IC 'tournaments' left half the community mad at the other half.....:(, so things never really got off the ground. While fine for the history and Tactics II buffs, IC required a lot of hands on adminstration and map manipulation. The leaders had to be in it for the long haul and it was a little too cumbersome for the average joe to become fully involved. Something organized but simpler would be fun for the average player, imo. I know I would enjoy it.

The average joe didnt have to do anything with all the stuff beside it. When I played in BFE and IC all I did was play at the allotted time. Although with BFE and IC you always play with the same group of axis and allies soldiers for the duration of a campaign that will always create rivalry and hate. Since not every map is balanced 100%.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually, it is nothing like BFE:RO or IC at all. Somewhat similar perhaps, but very different. In BFE:RO for the mod (good times...) you signed up for an army and you were pretty much expected to play an active part in the battles and keep an eye on the forums. Most people who joined did. There were ranks, SOPs, medals, trainings, hidden strategy forum sections for both sides, fixed roles for players, a custom campaign consisting of both official and custom maps, a bit of roleplaying and more. A typical campaign was being played out over weeks or even months, not one evening. Maps to be played were carefully selected. Iron Crescendo (which I never played in) even had earnable resources. It wasn't casual play at all; once you joined you were commited. It's the reason why I never joined IC.

So what I'm suggesting is nothing like those tournaments at all.

What I'm suggesting is a public event, which players are free to join and leave and which lasts only one evening per week. If you join the battle early, you might be able to choose a side. But if you're late, you'll be assigned to the side that has the least players.

Example: it's monday evening and you feel like playing RO in an organized manner, but you're not part of a clan or tournament by choice. So you join the TS of the weekly event and ask if there's any room left for a player. One of the hosts assigns you to the German side, 3d Platoon, because they're short on players. You then join 3d Platoon's channel as well as the game server and take part in the battle. Next week you might join the Russian side, or not play again for months... it doesn't matter, because it's a public event, no strings attached. An organized public event, with leaders and like-minded people who actually follow orders.

The only thing that worries me is that it might attract idiots who don't follow orders or not use teamwork at all, or who are obnoxious on TeamSpeak. Such people need to be dealt with harshly. Chaos on TS could also pose a problem, but that could be fixed by giving the squad & platoon leaders priority speaker (other players in the same channel get muted whenever they speak) or only giving voice to players who have earned it or need it. Or simply by keeping the squads small, say 6 players per squad & channel. That way you have ~4 squads of players per team, each assigned to their own sector on the map. The battle shifts back and forth through Stalingrad until at the end of the evening one of the teams wins.

Cost and maintenance could be compensated for by donations. If the event becomes popular enough to fill up a 64 player server every week, I'm sure quite a few people are willing to donate a couple of bucks, enough to help pay for server cost.

Anyway, just an idea. Perhaps someone out there loves the sound of it and gets inspired to set up such an event. It would certainly benefit both the game and the community in a fun way. And if it becomes really popular, similar events could be held for the mods of RO2. That way it even benefits the mod community.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A weekly scheduled event.. campaign mode.. 3-4 hours set time (maybe longer?).. Sounds good.

The success of it would depend on having a consistent set of accoutrements, so to speak, on a weekly basis..

- 2 Leaders who can commit to staying leader for the majority of any single event, and have the ability to be fair yet firm when dealing with other people and possible asshats.

- Teamspeak channels and game server with which to host the event. The leaders should be able to acquire admin powers to both the server and teamspeak channels.

- Regular participants (not entirely necessary, but these things always seem to work better when you have people who know how to act and such).

Saturdays work well for things like this.. and the time in which they are held should be at a time that is good for both NA and Euro participants (typically early morning North American times).

Leaders for the week could be chosen a day or two in advance from a pool of volunteers who post in a dedicated thread, and then on game-day the public participants would join a central TS lobby and be picked, school-yard style, by the Leaders so the teams are different each week. Any leftover players could stay in the lobby (to be a team alternative if someone has to leave) and the chosen players would be moved to the appropriate TS channel. Once in a team channel, the players would be given the password for the game server by their Leader.

Basically a weekly scheduled pickup game run campaign style for a set amount of hours with a command structure, tactics/teamwork with like-minded people.

Hopefully, if it takes off, you dont get those types of people who cause problems because they feel like they're a better Leader than the actual Leader of the week and then they create a crappy atmosphere when they complain and act like a child. All Leaders are not created equal, and the frame of mind to take into something like this is to have fun and be a good soldier.. meaning - follow your Leaders lead, and if you have a suggestion, be nice about it.

Good idea Nimsky, I think it could work. There's a market out there for a non-committal weekly event for sure.

Upvote 0