• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation Webley Mk VI Revolver

Niezdara

Nov 7, 2015
A few weeks ago I decided to make something for this game (well, more like "try to make" actually). Since I've got some meaningful results, I'm posting them to (hopefully) get some feedback. I have no idea how to put model in that game yet, so I'm also not aware what I should keep in mind, while making it for that purpose. I hope some more experienced people could take a look and tell me what needs to be reworked, added ect.

Also I'm not consider myself "a pro", so any hints and remarks about 3d modelling are welcome too.

Attachments

• webleyR01.jpg
    webleyR01.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 0
  • webleyR02.jpg
    webleyR02.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 0
  • webleyR03.jpg
    webleyR03.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 0
Like I said I have no idea how to put it in the game yet, so don't ask me about skeleton or animation. Its just a roughly finished 3d model, which means it has to be UV unwarped and maps has to be made. I'm going to look after some materials on how to put it in game later (I think there were some tutorials on this very forum).
I suppose I could at least replace Nagant just for fun of running with my own creation alone, on a server set up by myself. It wouldn't be very practical though and it would rather see it used as a part of something bigger - HotW comes in mind here, but they might already have it or working on it.

After all If I am not be able to do that or it will be useless, I'll still have a nice finished model - I could use it in a different game or simply have it in my portfolio.

Upvote 0
Have you heard of heroes of the west? It's a mod which takes the game to the western front. Americans and british.

The British are almost done and have an arsenal large enough to play. But they only have 1 sidearm currently and that side arm is the browning Hi power. While there were about 100,000 of them in British commonwealth service most of them were in the hands of paratroopers or Canadians.

A .455 Webley would be far better.

Heroes of the west could have it animated and textured for you. Implemented into the game. And of course there's also randompersons desert rats mod. Set in Africa 41-43. There's even a WW1 Mod called Ausfmarch. Can't have a ww1 mod without the webley.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I feel kinda stupid because I completely overlooked the fact, that a Nagant has a fixed cylinder gate loading mechanism, so a Webley require an entirely different animation of reloading since its a top break revolver.

This lead me to the question how accurately the whole process could or should be shown in game. There are three visible moving parts. First of all, the gun has to be "broken", therefore the half of it should rotate and it is sort of obvious and without a question.
There is also a barrel catch (the yellow part where the rear sight is) that has to move in a first place and I'm not so sure if it has to be actually animated. I feel like most players would even notice it.
The last thing is an extractor. I didn't modelled that part yet (I'm not sure if I have to). Theoretically it should automatically push spent casings, as soon as a revolver is "broken" (the part is visible here -> http://s127.photobucket.com/user/gunboat57/media/WEBLEY MK VI/WebleyMkVI003.jpg.html[url]http://s127.photobucket.com/user/gunboat57/media/WEBLEY%20MK%20VI/WebleyMkVI003.jpg.html[/URL]), but I don't know how hard is to implement such a thing.

There is also a question if bullets in chambers should be modelled and if its possible to show how spent casings actually leave chambers during the reloading process.

I strongly suspect that the whole thing has to be simplified. Am I right?

Attachments

• webleyR04.jpg
    webleyR04.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Yeah. We could get it good and working. Then you can use it with the Creators permission. And if you pay us $5,000.

Sounds fair to me. Perfect collaboration.

No that's unlawful extortion, big difference.
You'll need a skeleton, full animations (probably could use both the nagant's skeleton and animations.)
There's a lot of stuff you need.
You need it coded, completely, a set of 3rd person animations, FX Sockets, an anim set and anim tree.
You also need a map for it, and a new role class.

Upvote 0
No that's unlawful extortion, big difference.
You'll need a skeleton, full animations (probably could use both the nagant's skeleton and animations.)
There's a lot of stuff you need.
You need it coded, completely, a set of 3rd person animations, FX Sockets, an anim set and anim tree.
You also need a map for it, and a new role class.

Jokes man.

We've also accomplished the above several times before with other weapons. And no you can't use the nagants skeleton and animations. The Webley is a top break revolver. Meaning you "break" the barrel forward. This also automatically ejects all the cartridges. So it would be like trying to use TT-33 animations for the C96.

Upvote 0
And no you can't use the nagants skeleton and animations. The Webley is a top break revolver. Meaning you "break" the barrel forward. This also automatically ejects all the cartridges. So it would be like trying to use TT-33 animations for the C96.

Clearly you have never tried making new weapon.
First, nothing stops you from using any weapon skeleton, the only question is amount of bones and their hierarchy. You can even make AT rifle with nagant skeleton, with totally changed animations.

Second, just only different reload animation doesnt make all other animations useless. If in regular nagant animations webley fits normally in right hand, then it can use nagant animations without any problem, you will just need to add few different reload animations.

Making c96 in TT animations is totally possible, unless standart position of hand does not match the form of C96 handle. You just need new reload animations, probably new shot animations.

Remaking whole skeleton and whole animset just because of different reload is probably one of the most pointless and giant waste of time and work you can ever do in RO2 modding. Especially because due to cover system every weapon in RO2 has A LOT of animations, about 70 for SMG for example, even more for bolt action rifle. Not much different for pistols and revolvers. Remaking all of it would take RIDICULOUS amount of time.

G43 has different reload animations from SVT-40, that doesnt mean that we had to remake whole skeleton and whole animset, we only added new reload animations to SVT animset.

G98 has different bolt handle position, it doesnt mean that we had to remake the whole animset. We only changed reload and bolting animations (quite easilly).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As soon as you change the amount of bones it's really a different skeleton. A modified skeleton if you will. That's where the confusion started. I know you can cannibalise other animations but when you can get new specific ones made too I mean why not right? And you can't use the nagants animations even though you can use a modified skeleton. Not the exact same unchanged skeleton.

The rest of the british arsenal as well as a couple of new american and british weapons are done 100% complete in heroes of the west. We are missing a G43 though. If you want we could be brand spanking new 3rd person animations for it. So you can use it for IOM. Even new 1st person animations if you so wish. We don't want germans running around with G41s that isn't even remotely accurate. We're even heavily considering removing that MP40/I. Then again we would still like an upgrade/variant at 25 or 50 to replace it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As soon as you change the amount of bones it's really a different skeleton. A modified skeleton if you will. That's where the confusion started. I know you can cannibalise other animations but when you can get new specific ones made too I mean why not right? And you can't use the nagants animations even though you can use a modified skeleton. Not the exact same unchanged skeleton.

The rest of the british arsenal as well as a couple of new american and british weapons are done 100% complete in heroes of the west. We are missing a G43 though. If you want we could be brand spanking new 3rd person animations for it. So you can use it for IOM. Even new 1st person animations if you so wish. We don't want germans running around with G41s that isn't even remotely accurate. We're even heavily considering removing that MP40/I. Then again we would still like an upgrade/variant at 25 or 50 to replace it.

That's because you obtained them from AMG, or at least most of them. Probably could use a fair portion of the animations from the Nagant, and the skeleton, I'd have to check the skeleton though. Even if it is "modified" it wouldn't be a big problem, just the reload.
Furthermore this was for alpha-testing, anims and exact skeletons shouldn't matter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Methods aside there are 3 mods that would like a webley Mk VI .455 revolver. With many different people who could help you get it working. Animations aren't much of a problem. AAZ is like the only community animator here lol. Short of some other more simple things others and myself have done.

Ausfmarch
Desert rats
Heroes of the West.

Upvote 0

Well it seems you indeed have to cange nagant skeleton for webley. But still why not use nagant animations? Is handle way too different or what? With different skeleton you will just need to reexport animations... thats pain in *** for all the cover animations but still 9000 times easier than remaking all from scratch.

Upvote 0
Well it seems you indeed have to cange nagant skeleton for webley. But still why not use nagant animations? Is handle way too different or what? With different skeleton you will just need to reexport animations... thats pain in *** for all the cover animations but still 9000 times easier than remaking all from scratch.

I dunno, do whatever you want. Point being we can get it working regardless.

Upvote 0