• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"Weapon was shot out of your hands"

Yes, that made for some great moments in ROOST. Why was it even removed?

---

I'm not up for tracking down the post right now, but one of the TW guys explained the reason in another thread. Apparently they found that most players would, when crippled by localized damage, simply suicide to get around the effect rather than play with the handicap. Thus TWI figured "Why bother?"

I can see how they would come to that conclusion, but I must admit that said decision removes an element of realism and certainly makes the bandage system look like health regen, even though it is not.

Upvote 0
I'm not up for tracking down the post right now, but one of the TW guys explained the reason in another thread. Apparently they found that most players would, when crippled by localized damage, simply suicide to get around the effect rather than play with the handicap. Thus TWI figured "Why bother?"

That sounds like a poor explanation. You can scuttle tanks when they're damaged, but the suicide command on console won't work until then. Certainly this would be trivial to have for infantry, too?

Unless by "suicide" you mean "play recklessly", but that's an interesting thing to have. Not any more of a "problem" than someone without ammo rushing the enemy with a death wish instead of returning to resupply.

---

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do remember this from ROOST. Having some incredibly crippling wound, and getting it at the front line, seriously just made you want to suicide. Now, maybe it was overdone in ROOST, and they could tone it down in RO2 but still use it......

But I do agree with them that ultra-realistic-shattered-ankle-dragging-yourself-across-the-battlefield was not all that fun, and in a lot of situations you were better served eating a grenade.

One thing they SHOULD do though...is if you take a leg shot, your speed should drop by 50% for at least 30 seconds. Even better, if shooting someone in the leg basically caused them to go prone so they had to stand up again....that would be a significant reason to clip people's legs.

Unless by "suicide" you mean "play recklessly"
Suicide as in....stand up so one of a dozen people will shoot you in the face. Kind of the opposite of that intense "must live must live must live" primal urge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In the mod when you were shot in the leg you were crippled untill you die and that's why people prefered to commit suicide. In ROOST I haven't seen cases of people doing that because it's only a short term effect. You get shot, for a moment you walk slowly and after a few seconds you're allright again.

I would like to see both the weapon shot out of hand and being crippled in RO2 too. It was fun and unexpected when your weapon got shot out of your hands and you had to somehow get it back. I've had great moments because of it where a german was chasing me while i was running laps around a house to get my gun back. The cripple feature is just handy to shoot people, you could shoot them in the legs first and then finish them.

Upvote 0
Suicide as in....stand up so one of a dozen people will shoot you in the face. Kind of the opposite of that intense "must live must live must live" primal urge.

The effect wasn't permanent, so why would someone even do that? That's just being a bad player and wasting your spawn/a reinforcement. I think the ausence of leg crippling is in line with RO2's "acessible" design philosophy, and not really a fix for any alleged "problem."

---

Upvote 0
The slowdown was temporarily.. It worked well, it's annoying to hit an enemy with a rifle slug and he just keep on running in full speed.

The "shot in the hand" feature of RO:O was severely broken (auto-equip of secondary weapons, hard to pick up dropped weapons etc) but the idea wasn't all bad. It created some memorable moments for sure, but it wouldn't fit in RO2.

Upvote 0
That sounds like a poor explanation. You can scuttle tanks when they're damaged, but the suicide command on console won't work until then. Certainly this would be trivial to have for infantry, too?

Unless by "suicide" you mean "play recklessly", but that's an interesting thing to have. Not any more of a "problem" than someone without ammo rushing the enemy with a death wish instead of returning to resupply.

---

I won't presume to speak to how good or bad a reason it is (and I'm probably over simplifying it, to be honest, but as I said I'm not up for searching for it at the moment). I haven't played RO:Ost MP, so I haven't seen it personally. I can, as I mentioned, understand how they would reach that decision, though. Whether that makes it the right decision or not is up to individual preference and opinion.

Reactions: Echo Black
Upvote 0
This one makes me sort of scratch my head, since they actually added the fix for losing your weapons without adding it.

It's the bandage system.

You get shot in the hand or arm. Ow. It hurts.
Use the bandage, apply some pressure, say it's stabilzed.
A sort of happy marriage between realism and playability if bandaging took some actual time in this game.

Get shot in arm, ow, equip pistol, shoot the Nazi, bandage yourself, applying some pressure on the wound for 5 second at least. OK, I can handle the PPSH now since my life depends upon it. (Perhaps with a little increase in sway too)

A lot can be done, is my point and removing something might not be the best way to streamline something.

Upvote 0
It would have been useful earlier tonight when a Russian ran around the corner I was hiding behind so I put a couple of bullets into his shins with my G41, but he just kept running before a teammate finished him off. He may have gone into a slow death though, I couldn't quite tell in the fray. Still one of those awesome moments.
Point is I would like to see a temporary impairment make a return, keyword though is temporary, kinda like suppression.

Upvote 0
I also want to be able to shoot people's helmets off after shooting the gun out of their hand. Please accompany it with Benny Hill music.

Actually, shooting weapons out of peoples hands is pretty realistic in this game, as everyone is a competition level sharpshooter due to lack of sway. I change my sarcasm to support. Get on it, TWI.

Upvote 0