• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Weapon combos for pub play

Cubensis

Mar 29, 2010
What are some of your favorite weapon combinations?

I always start the first wave as a sharpshooter, because of the low recoil and added power to the nine millimeter. By the end of today ill reach level 5 ss and spawn with a 30/30 lever rifle (or is it 45 long colt?) . At the end of the first wave i buy a handcannon, and finish wave 2 with it. At wave 3 i go support and get shotgun kills to stack up my money even further. I'm right near level 4 support, so the penetration is lethal on groups.

After a wave playing support and getting massive kills i go for full ammo. So starting at wave 4 i will have

8 grenades, lever action rifle, shotgun, handcannon. The handcanon is great for spiders, you can kill a flock of them faster with the cannon than with the shotgun. The lever rifle i continually get headshots with at long distances, that is its main purpose. The pump shotgun is for everything else, but i mostly use it to wipe out big herds of clots and gorefasts, because that is quick cash.

This combination i find it impossible to die with if you have at least a level 3 or 4 shotgun perk. On a map like london, its not uncommon to get cornered by a large herd of zombies on both sides of the street. This is where the 8 grenades come in. Stack 2 to 4 grenades on the flock that you do not intend to run past, this will cut many of them down. Switch to shotgun and street sweep the path you intend to take for evasive action. When you're low on shotgun ammo, immediately switch to the handcannon for quick shots at anything that crowds or grabs you on your escape route. You still have at least 4 or 5 grenades to clear the path ahead of you with, enabling you to safely kill zombies that are close enough to harm you. If your magazine runs out on the deag, and your shotgun tube is empty, you still have the lever rifle as a last resort. It is pretty powerful, actually quite easy to aim with on close up zombies. You can still run at them and sight in on their face or neck.

Reactions: cvspartan101
Usually I go with ss because of the added 9 mm damage. Then I go commando because bullpup is relatively cheap at even lvl 0 and it's very steady in iron sights. Then once I get enough money, I keep the bullpup and get the SCAR.

Then I just proceed to rape everything with the SCAR (solo beginner - hard). If I have enough money, I place pipes in choke points, like corners in westlondon. Then I don't have to worry about fp's as much.

Upvote 0
i go sniper and never change.

i'll rock wave 1 and 2 w/ single pistol, and buy a xbow and maybe (maybe) handcannon for wave 3, if i can also afford armor. then i normally go through wave 3 w/ pistol, and retreat to my team if i get swarmed. after that, i stick w/ hand cannon and xbow, and kill every scrake, fp, and husk i see.

patriarch, while e's spinning up to shoot at someone else, i crouch and keep bolting him from the xbow. w/ good placement, he should be dead petty quickly.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure it's a Winchester .308, actually.... anyway...

depends on what class I intend to end up playing as. I'm lvl 6 pretty much everything, so I don't care as much anymore about getting good weapons early on, though when I want to, I usually start out berserker and sell the chainsaw at the end of the round, buy a katana, then switch to either commando and buy an AK, or demo and buy an M79. If I'm going commando at that point, I stay commando for the rest of the game and upgrade to the SCAR later. If I go demo, I save up until I can afford the M32 with 1200 GBP left over, then buy it, switch to support, and buy the AA-12 too... then I'm support with an AA-12, M32 and katana, which is really awesome fun for long to mid range crowd control.

if I go SS, I just start the game SS and stay it forever, since I spawn with the best weapon in the game for it (crossbow)

Upvote 0
It's a 30-30, you can't use Winchester .308 in a gun with tubular magazine, it will explode in your face when you try to load it.

Actually... I have a Winchester rifle with that mag, chambered in .308. I'm not sure of the exact model, and I've never even fired it. I inherited it several years back, though, so I know it exists. Right now it's in storage down in FL.

I don't pretend to know a whole lot about guns, but that much I do. :p

Upvote 0
That must be a Winchester Model 1895 or Model 88. These two Winchesters use box magazines so they can actually accept spitzer rounds. I didn't say lever action rifles can't use .308, I said guns with tubular magazines.

If you load pointy tipped rounds into a tubular magazine, the sharp point of all rounds after the first will be pressed up against the primer of the previous round. If you then apply some pressure to that line of rounds (say by loading the last round roughly), then one of those are likely to go off and the whole tube will explode.

Upvote 0
All my favorite loadouts are designed with fully level 6 players in mind.

Commando: SCAR and M32
Improved reload speed is great for the M32, and you can kill FPs without reloading if you catch them far away and get grenade headshots. Even without the explosive damage of demolitions, the M32 stuns most enemies, making them easy pickings for the SCAR.

Support: AA-12 and Crossbow
Crossbow makes sirens, husks, and scrakes cake, and gives you a fighting chance against FPs. AA-12 makes everything else cake. Shotguns have always been too inefficient against scrakes and FPs for my taste. With this combo, AA-12 ammo shouldn't be a concern.

Berserker: Katana w/ SCAR and M79 -or- Katana and Crossbow
A lot of people don't understand this combo. It's simply geared to kill the berserker's natural enemies - crawlers and sirens - while moving. I find that standing still as a berserker is often the first step to dying. The M79 is great for groups of crawlers, and is also handy for stunning a troublesome husk at range before you finish him with the katana. I go samurai and use the katana/crossbow if none of my teammates are using viable anti-FP weapons.

Medic: MP7M w/ Katana and M32 -or- MP7M and Crossbow
It's frustrating to try and heal a teammate being eaten by a crowd of specimens, so I decided to bring an M32. Now when I see someone getting horribly devoured by a swarm, I can kill all the zeds on them and heal them within seconds. The katana works very well with the medic's armor and speed, while the MP7 and 9mm keep you safe from crawlers. Unfortunately, husks, FPs, and sirens are problems for this loadout. It sacrifices offensive ability in order to not only heal but protect teammates. I call it the Paladin. Again, I'll grab a crossbow instead if no one on my team has decent FP killing weapons.

Upvote 0
COOL WEAPON COMBINATIONS
Ultra Explosive Explosion
Throw a grenade and shoot grenade launcher - Be careful, its very effective and powerful!
Super Fire Bomb
Throw 2 fire grenades and shoot flame thrower at them - Very effective against clot all lowwer level specimens (Clots, Gorefast, Crawlers, Stalkers, Bloats)
The Effective Pipe Bomb Duo
If you play suicidal and always wonder why 1 pipe bomb doesn't get rid of you problems (Flesh pounds, Scrakes)? Problem Solved!
Place 2 pipe bombs side by side and when the fleshpound or scrakes walks up they kill them the first time, Ultimatly save your life and most likely someone elses by not giving them a chance to go insane and kill everybody.
Effective Tips From Ace Unlimited
When I'm playing on Doom on Suicidal I start of as a demolitionist and I stick with the perk for waves 1-5, to lay as much money as i can and i put bombs on on the floors, walls and the wall to the right before you reach the elevator (look up halfway and place a bomb to make it stick to the walls). I do this because from experince I know that when flesh pounds and scrakes get mad thats the first place they go and it works ever time and I save my teammates lives 90% of the time.

I also put 1 bomb on the door and weld it that way then specimens break the door down the bombs go off in their face killing most instantly.

If you go on the elevator then it lifts you to the top, go to the wall and press use to activate the secret switch and the big room will open. Inside on the floor, to the right of the vent where the crawler spawns will be A FREE WEAPON EVERY WAVE and most of the time it will be a bullpup, or a handcannon which can be sold for about 310$.

During trader time if you are lv. 6 and want to stock weapons suicide after you drop your weapon and you will have 2 weapons. if you do this every wave for 10 waves thats 20 weapons free.

When using grenade launcher, if specimens are coming down the hall lined up, aim at the wall in the center of the group for more effectiveness. if a group comes your way aim at the cieling to take them all out!

I'm just putting my ideas out there, Just because you don't use them dosn't mean their "STUPID TIPS"

I'm just putting it out there, there called COMBOS for a reason, involving 2 things being used one after the other for an mild increase in damage, power, and effectiveness for the cost of slightly more resources than the average person uses.

And for you MAMOO, I dont give a damn what you think about my argument being invalid. As far as im concerned you argument has NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS FORUM! And at least I'm trying to put some infomation out there because i dont see you doing **** about trying to help anyone in anyway, AND IF YOU DONT LIKE IT YOU CAN EAT DICK!
AND YOU FAIL, JUST LIKE THE WORD ON YOUR PICTURE!
I HAVE TO SAY THAT ITS JUST TOO MANY DUMB-***'S IN THIS WORLD, AND NOT ENOUGH SMART PEOPLE LIKE ME!,
AND BECAUSE OF ALL THOSE DUMB-*** PEOPLE THE WORLD IS LIKE IT IS!
WHEN YOU DECIDE TO TAKE TIME FROM LIFE TO STOP ****ING COMPLAINING SO DAM+N MUCH ABOUT ME AND MY FORUMS,THEN YOU CAN TAKE BACK YOUR PATHETIC POWER! AND THATS NOT GONA HAPPEN IN YOUR LIFETIME!
HAVE A NICE DAY!

Last edited:
Reactions: Benjamin
Upvote 0
ace, your tips suck.

the best tip i saw was using m32 as medic, because thats usually how people die, they get trapped in swarms of enemies so you cant heal them, but with the m32 BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM heal heal done.

unless it's a friendly fire server, in which case said teammate is going to die, and going to deserve it, too, for letting themselves get surrounded away from the rest of the team. :p

Upvote 0
Usually when I play medic at the start of a new game, I first spawn as demo and then change my class to medic. That way I have an m79 to use as my main weapon, along with the pipebombs. Then I just get my body armor and mp7 for 200 bucks when the wave ends.

M79 has not failed me as a my main weapon for the medic. EVER :D

M32 is unfair to specimans :l

Super Fire Bomb
Throw 2 fire grenades and shoot flame thrower at them - Very effective against clot all lowwer level specimens (Clots, Gorefast, Crawlers, Stalkers, Bloats)

I'm sorry but that is a pointless waste of ammo unless used on higher level specimens, the smaller ones will just burn to death with a short burst of the flamethrower, and should get overkilled by a single fire grenade. (Or maybe it works for low level firebugs, so I guess it could be a good tip for new players..)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sorry but that is a pointless waste of ammo unless used on higher level specimens, the smaller ones will just burn to death with a short burst of the flamethrower, and should get overkilled by a single fire grenade. (Or maybe it works for low level firebugs, so I guess it could be a good tip for new players..)

When I do firebug on suicidal (or on Hard with way too many players) I do this with one fire grenade when **** really hits the fan. Otherwise, I use the fire grenades only to cover my *** while I reload.

Even as a low-level firebug though, the fire grenades or overkill for smaller zeds. They're mostly just useful for torching zeds that are knocking on a door without destroying the door, or for padding your flame damage.

Upvote 0