• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapon balance changes

I don't know, I just killed 10 people in 2 clips with a bolt-action rifle. Felt like 12.7mm BMG. Quite insane, frankly. It was in Classic.

Given that in Action, bolt-action rifles are still OHK whereas SMG's shoot chewing gums that can't even kill with a headshot, I thought there must've been some changes.

Upvote 0
I hadn't thought of the difference in the weapons between game modes. :( Thats hard for me to wrap my head around.

But yes, in Arcade a player can take more hits. In Realism, fewer. And in Classic fewer still.

And just FYI, with the bolts you're shooting 8mm and 7.62mm rounds. They are lethal! ;) One round to anything other than an extremity will pretty much render you combat ineffective (ie. dead in RO terms).

Upvote 0
The weapons havent been rebalanced with the new patch(all weapons have increased times to go into iron sights tho now). Only in classic there is a pretty big diffirence in how ppsh41 shoots: everyone in classic has level 1 proficiency with all weapons and it is very noticeable in comparison with lvl 50 ppsh because the recoil is much more. LVL 50 ppsh compared to lvl 1 is a very diffirent weapon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmmm. Classic certainly feels different than the other modes, much more like RO1. I like it, because it definitely feels more realistic. I manage to kill something again with the bold action, even with "snapshots". And have no problem with the autos, either.

@Floyd:
And just FYI, with the bolts you're shooting 8mm and 7.62mm rounds. They are lethal!

Well... with the pistols and SMG you are shooting 9mm and 7.62mm rounds.
The difference here is the load of the cartridge, not the calibre of the bullet.
Typically on close range there would not be much difference, depending on where you are hit. The rifle rounds have a much higher kinetic energy, however if they don't hit something "solid", a lot of this is retained as they pass through you. It's normally, when something is in the way or the distance is larger, where the rifle rounds make a difference (in reality)

Upvote 0
The difference is that rifle bullets travel MUCH faster and tend to send a "shockwave" through the body when they hit. Depending on what they hit specifically, this can be bad or very bad for the victim.
Pistol rounds, on the other hand, pretty much just make a hole. There is a huge difference between being shot with a battle rifle and with a pistol.

Statistically, getting hit with a rifle round kills you about 50% of the time, probably renders you combat ineffective at least 75% of the time. Pistol rounds kill about 10% of the time and probably render ineffective about 30% of the time. Classic has it right.

Best wishes,
Daniel.

Upvote 0
Ehm, I am pretty sure the Damage model in Classic the same as in Realism. There was no post anywhere that they said they would be nerfing the damage model for Realism. The only mode that had any damage model alterations was action, and that was reduced across the board.
I'm just going by the options in the webadmin.

In the gameplay override section (where you make custom adjustments) there are options under: Damage Mode. The options are: Arcade, Standard (Realism), and Hardcore (Classic). My assumption was that these were player damage models from weapons.

But further investigation reveals this line in the changelog under Classic:
The player damage model is much more hardcore to match RO1 functionality. Players take damage instantly instead of bleeding some of the damage out over time. There is no bandaging or bleeding (although slow deaths from wounds are still possible).
Now that may explain why when I have that checked, bandaging does not work....

Upvote 0