• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapon animations

Krotz

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2009
We all know that Killing Floor has one of the best weapon animations in FPS genre, but what could make them even better:

-motion of the weapon when moving your view around so it does not appear that weapons are glued to the screen, the only game that has this perfectly done is Half Life 2 so check it out

-added animation for changing firing mode like in Battlefield 2142

-fixed switching flashlight timing

-seeing more or less of the weapon/hand when moving view up/down, again this was perfectly done in Half Life 2 and less so in L4D

With these changes we would indeed have the ultimate FPS experience.

You can add now if I forgot other details...

Last edited:
Er, this is not the response I was expecting...have I stated everything in the first post?

Well it is very incorrect. HL2 didn't have the weapon movement until it was brought onto the episode 1 engine and that was a couple years later therefore thats invalid. Killing Floor does not have very good animations compared to Crysis,Cod4,TF2 ect. But im not saying they are bad its just in a comparison. I guess people don't really want to post and just took what you said into consideration though the original post needs some refinement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I said weapon motion when moving your view around, not weapon movement when walking.

Functional illiteracy.

I know like when the weapon moves so you can see less or more when you turn. That wasn't added until it was moved to EP1 engine and the source engine was given HDR and the command Viemodel_nolag which can make the weapon fixed in place when you move your view. Thats what I said "Weapon movement when moving around" sorry I didn't make it clearer.

I would like to point out that insulting me wont exactly help your reputation as I know people following your posts just for a good laugh. I have been playing KF since the 1.0 version of the mod. I work on coding for the source engine and creating mods for it and I work on complex Garrysmod Modifications don't bother insulting people save your breath.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The notion of a weapon model rotating based upon movement of your view was implemented in the mod version of KF (with the advent of 2.5 I believe).

From what I understand, due to engine limitations, the overall effect was choppy and unpolished looking. If there were a more effective way to go about this, I'm sure it would have been implemented (since it technically already was implemented), but since it was removed in the retail release I'm assuming it's due to visual inconsistencies.

Keep in mind, the UT2(.5 ?) engine is not the Source engine, nor is it the UT3 engine. There will be limits.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ah that's so sad, i still play Half Life 2 sometimes because of that motion and view around and up/down, no other game has this.

It's rather bizarre it didn't become a standard for FPS genre.

I think I know why. That particular animation effect causes your weapon to lag behind your view when snapping quickly to the side, something FPS gamers will do quite often. In practice, it leads to one of the following scenarios, and I'll describe them in the best detail I can:

Scenario 1:
- Weapon lags behind view
- Shots go to where the weapon model is pointing

The lag effect irritates players and often gets them hurt or killed - Remember, animating for a video game cuts out much of what is part of "proper" animation, like anticipation and settle. It's a necessary sacrifice because when the player presses "jump", he is fully within his rights to expect his character to jump NOW, not after he finishes his Pixar-perfect wind-up (and lands, and is immobilized by his Pixar-perfect landing and follow-through). The same principle applies here to the weapon model.

Scenario 2:
- Weapon lags behind view
- Shots go to where the crosshair is, not to where the weapon model is pointing

The effect isn't as debilitating as Scenario 1, but it still breaks immersion as the "natural" effect of the lagtime is wasted when the player sees the "unnatural" effect of a gun pointed sideways firing to the center of the screen.

In HL2 the effect isn't so pronounced because the weapon readjusts itself rather quickly, but it still caused me some confusion when I first played the game - Always waiting for the gun to be pointed forwards before I fired (and sometimes took some damage in the process).

Given the additional complication it adds to the coding, on top of the problems I laid out in detail above, it seems nobody is bothering with the HL2-style weapon animations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Given the additional complication it adds to the coding, on top of the problems I laid out in detail above, it seems nobody is bothering with the HL2-style weapon animations.

That's strange, I didn't notice any of the things you mentioned nor ever heard anyone talking about them, I just noticed how extremely awesome and immersive it was and I always compared every FPS to it since, with a sense of bewilderment why nobody is using that kind of immersion, after all such things are obviously the foundation of FPS game.

Every other FPS since Half Life 2 felt stiff and sub-par because of just that "detail", wouldn't you agree?

Upvote 0
Killzone 2 was a really fun game, but it lost something between the transition between Killzone 1 to Killzone 2. It took some of the good parts of the first games, but changed to generic run-of-the-mill fps elements to patch up the holes in the first game.

I have more of a problem with other elements of the game. I figure that any of the issues brought up in this thread (except flashlight and firing mode, but those seem like nitpicking but would be easy enough to solve) will not be implemented in KF. If they ever are it will be when TWI completely redoing the game for KF2 (hopefully years from now).

Upvote 0
Yo Killzone, I'm real happy for you, Imma let you finish, but Kung Fu Panda has some of the best video game animations of all time! Of all time!

kanyee%20interrupts%20killzone.PNG

Upvote 0