• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

We need search and destroy gameplay Tripwire!

Well thanks for moving this thread...

In other words you just killed it!

This was NOT a suggestion, it was a serious request.

sorry, it's not in the game so this is a suggestion or an Idea, (wich is brought as a demand btw) you fill it in.

as for the rest of you friendly folks, stop jumping at each others throat. and stop posting in a fontsize above 2
jus a word of friendly advise

Upvote 0
S&D is fine for CoD and the like but RO gametypes are a lot more realistic imo.
You could possibly consider reinforced S&D, As some of the CoD mods had in them. But even that tended to end up as a TDM gametype most of the time.

Demolition was another I did like, You had multipule objectives and had limited amount of bombs/Satchels to destroy them. Also was Respawn which kept the boredom down.
This is possibly the best type of S&D for RO to consider IMO.

But please do not make Shoe box sized maps as in CoD2.

Upvote 0
I think there is a lot of confusion about what the S&D fans (I'm one of those) try to achieve and what the old time RO fans fear to lose or get in their way.

Correct me if I'm wrong, S&D fans, but what we liked about S&D (and other roundbased gametypes) is that it was realistic in the fact that you only had one life/round. S&D and Retrieval type roundbased gameplay made people play differently from all the respawning gamemodes. Most of those arcadish games, compared to RO, almost force people to play unrealistic. It forces people to play it like a "keyboard skills" game instead of a "tactical shooter". (Still with me?)
The fact that you respawned in 10 secs made it even worse, more arcadish.
And also in a roundbased type game a kill counts, it gives the killing party an advantage/makes it worthwhile.

For RO fans it is the battlefield experience you get because of the cap-able area's and respawning gives the feeling it is a continuious battle with lots going on. Please fill me in on more important factors, besides the realism, that attract you to RO.
I say "besides the realism factors" because this is what both playertypes are attracted to.

I think it is a misconception to think that S&D/roundbased fans want small maps for 4v4/5v5 games only. Bigger maps and larger teams give more tactical possibilities.

The capabilities if the engine and the editor allow an almost limitless amount of gametypes and mixes of gametypes even.
It also alows mapmakers to decide the type of game concerning spawning.
One life/round, limited respawns and even unlimited respawns untill the clock stops or the objectives achieved. The same goes for vehicles.
Objectives can be permanently cap-able objectives, re-cap-able objectives, destructable objectives and even some that are not in the game yet.

One more thing that is important to make people aware of is that the devs of RO tuned the current maps for the gametypes they have right now. I don't think modding or customizing them would work because they are tuned.
So don't be affraid you have to play gametype X on a map that was originally designed for gametype Y ;). New gametypes need new and tuned maps.

So it boils down to balancing the respawning times instead of making specific gametypes.
I feel even the S&D fans will be able to enjoy the current maps with altered respawning times to give that roundbased feel.
And I think even "ye olde" RO fans would like to have a new type of objective once in a while.

In the end it would be unfair to say that gametype X or Y is no good for RO untill it is thoroughly tested and tried.

Upvote 0
dont even expect the engine to run great with it..
in SD its verry important to throw nades in the right places (throuhgt windows and stuff)
this wont work wirth most windows dues to the U2.5 eingine
everything is 25% bigger than it apears to be
u may have encountered nades bouncing back fron windows wich appear to be open...
well again i have to say i played vcod for more than 2 years and was pretty good @ it
i knew nearly every tricknade for the standardtmaps liek harbour and DV
was fun but cod2 sux...

Upvote 0
Rrralphster said:
I think there is a lot of confusion about what the S&D fans (I'm one of those) try to achieve and what the old time RO fans fear to lose or get in their way.

Correct me if I'm wrong, S&D fans, but what we liked about S&D (and other roundbased gametypes) is that it was realistic in the fact that you only had one life/round. S&D and Retrieval type roundbased gameplay made people play differently from all the respawning gamemodes. Most of those arcadish games, compared to RO, almost force people to play unrealistic. It forces people to play it like a "keyboard skills" game instead of a "tactical shooter". (Still with me?)
The fact that you respawned in 10 secs made it even worse, more arcadish.
And also in a roundbased type game a kill counts, it gives the killing party an advantage/makes it worthwhile.

For RO fans it is the battlefield experience you get because of the cap-able area's and respawning gives the feeling it is a continuious battle with lots going on. Please fill me in on more important factors, besides the realism, that attract you to RO.
I say "besides the realism factors" because this is what both playertypes are attracted to.

I think it is a misconception to think that S&D/roundbased fans want small maps for 4v4/5v5 games only. Bigger maps and larger teams give more tactical possibilities.

The capabilities if the engine and the editor allow an almost limitless amount of gametypes and mixes of gametypes even.
It also alows mapmakers to decide the type of game concerning spawning.
One life/round, limited respawns and even unlimited respawns untill the clock stops or the objectives achieved. The same goes for vehicles.
Objectives can be permanently cap-able objectives, re-cap-able objectives, destructable objectives and even some that are not in the game yet.

One more thing that is important to make people aware of is that the devs of RO tuned the current maps for the gametypes they have right now. I don't think modding or customizing them would work because they are tuned.
So don't be affraid you have to play gametype X on a map that was originally designed for gametype Y ;). New gametypes need new and tuned maps.

So it boils down to balancing the respawning times instead of making specific gametypes.
I feel even the S&D fans will be able to enjoy the current maps with altered respawning times to give that roundbased feel.
And I think even "ye olde" RO fans would like to have a new type of objective once in a while.

In the end it would be unfair to say that gametype X or Y is no good for RO untill it is thoroughly tested and tried.

You explained yourself very well but from what the TW president pmed me, it's all a waste of your time. His mind is already made up that the only way you will get S&D will be by mutators created by third party, he is convinced that the present gameplay is the only realistic one in his books. So if the president feels this way then good luck in having them progress in their thinking.

I know I gave up after reading his pm to me!

Upvote 0
To Buster:

I thought as much. Doesn't matter and I understand the standpoint of the Devs. The whole game is designed around or towards the current gametypes.
There are a lot of mappers from the CoD scene who jumped to RO. So I don't have any doubts that there will be maps with different kinds of objectives in a few months. All we need is the editor which allows people to do about anything. ;)

To Dashewy:

Will do! SAS oriented missions are indeed S&D oriented. Hit and run missions on fuel dumps, airfields etc.

Upvote 0
Rrralphster said:
There are a lot of mappers from the CoD scene who jumped to RO.
Do you know any of these mappers?

Also right now we dont have any planned S&D type missions because I only have 6 mappers so far and two of them are working together on one map, so we have 5 maps planned thus far. But if you can recommend me some good mappers we will be able to make maybe one or two S&D type missions. We have planned to make the incidiary bombs that the SAS used and some special weapons that the SAS used as well. Again if I can get one or two mappers more I can ask them if they are interested to make one S&D map for our initial release if time permits, we may not have all the accurate uniforms/weapons but the game play should still be there.

Upvote 0
Nah, I'm affraid I don't know any of them personally. You could check the guys at AfterHourz but I'm not sure if they are prepared to do a conversion of any kind.
They made extra content (vehicles) for CoD:UO and some terrific maps...ehm make that battlefields. :rolleyes:

You could also check the IWN boards, in the mapping section, for people who dropped out of CoD.

Upvote 0