• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

We need search and destroy gameplay Tripwire!

PLEASE NO!
What we need are new maps...
I DO NOT WANT TO SEE RO BECOME A ARCADE STYLE GAME.
S&D is a match type gamemode...this isnt a match its trying to simulate war.
there are more than enough objectives in maps as is...not trying to put down ur ideas just trying to leave this style of gameplay behind me in CoD.
peace

Upvote 0
Witzig said:
Well as i mentioned elsewhere, its possible to use a S&D Gametype without a Mutator, simply set the Reinforcement time = Map Time Limit and you'd get a S&D Gametype if one uses only Destructible Objectives, of course this has to be done with a Mapeditor, but a Map would need some tweaking to make it S&D Playable. Playing Rakowice as S&D for example would be impossible.

But you don't need a Mutator, one just has to do a Map so that it can be played this Way.

QFE 2nd Time.

Upvote 0
10-78 BusterKing said:
Like I said, good job to the moderator who moved this thread here knowing that it would die!

That really sucks!

Shame on you!

:mad:

BK, what is your deal? This is obviously where this thread belongs. You are making a suggestion to the developers of the game. Why would it belong anywhere other than the ideas and suggestions forum?

Upvote 0
This is the exact place where this should go.

In our Africa mod we are discussing about the possibility of making special force type maps that involved the SAS attacking certain positions. This type of gameplay would more or less be realistic as to what happened in the Africa Campaign. If you want, register on our forums and make the suggestion and see if you can't get enough support for this idea. I must say that right now we are going to focus on mapping the major battles first and then move onto this sort of stuff if we see that there is enough support for it.

Upvote 0
I see only one benifit from an S&D game mode, though it is an inticing one.. LAN.

RO:O's current game mode(s) work great for online matches, and the more players you can get playing the better, but it works very poorly for a LAN match with just a few participants, the maps are too big, and compleating the objectives would be futile if you are only a handfull, or worse still, trying to play 1on1.

Personally, i'd love to see a Team-DM style game-mode in RO:O so i could have some fun with it on LAN, or even for quick bot-matches when i dont have the time to get into a serious game but want to kill half an houer.. a bit like we know it from CoD, i've spend many happy houers playing that on LAN (but i never found it fun online, RO caters to my online tastes much better, and CoD's maps where a little too big for a small LAN match).

But i must admit, i would not care for a CS style game-mode with no respawn and a bomb that must be planted, if its made, fine, nobody's holding a gun to my head forcing me to play it, but i would feel it was a waste of the Dev's time.

Upvote 0
And IMHO, the main reason why S&D would not work is the *slowlyness* of RO.

CoD and CoD2, are pretty close for fast paced combat with all aiming skill stuff in CQB areas.

CS is fast paced combat with lots of aiming skill stuff in CQB areas, too.

However, RO movement system is not like it. Comparing to CoD OR even to CS (which would be pretty hard in common) about the movement, well RO

Last edited:
Upvote 0
10-78 BusterKing said:
Like I said, good job to the moderator who moved this thread here knowing that it would die!

That really sucks!

Shame on you!

:mad:
Ideas and Suggestions Want To Help Red Orchestra Get Better? Share Your Wisdom Here

You want to help RO get better by implimenting your idea, so you have suggested it on the forum.
How exactly has the moderator done wrong?
You were wrong by not posting it in the correct forum.

Shame on you!

It's also funny you comment on "older" people preferring S&D (suggesting you may be one), yet whine like a little CS kiddie when your thread is put in its proper place

BTW: Is planting bombs with timers that could then be diffused realistic for WW2? Serious Q, because it seems like maybe it wouldn't be. Not in the main anyway.

Upvote 0
Oldih said:
CoD and CoD2, are pretty close for fast paced combat with all aiming skill stuff in CQB areas.
thats because COD is not a combat game...its an arcade shooter.
no teamwork, no large maps, no realistic weapons...just a bunch of randome spawning, smoke nade spammers, smg wh0rs, and kills and deaths to match the entire WWII KIA list in one round... not to mention the hackers that have consumed the damn game.
Sigh that game had so much promis...
just pretty rendering and R&G players.
GOD! I HATE COD! NO SKILL JUST REACTION TRIGGER SHOOTING.
...................not to bash on it or anything
:D :D :D

Upvote 0
shadowmoses said:
no teamwork, no large maps, no realistic weapons...just a bunch of randome spawning, smoke nade spammers, smg wh0rs, and kills and deaths to match the entire WWII KIA list in one round... not to mention the hackers that have consumed the damn game.

Hey, if you own CoD and wants to play a teamwork based game that are objective driven, check out Heat of Battle at www.heatofbattle.net
Where RO is realism with a dash of fun, HoB are fun with a dash of realism.
And it has reinforcement in waves, you respawn as a team. :)

Upvote 0
S&D is already doable with new Maps in Ostfront, one just needs to do new Maps (CoD:UO S&D sized ones).

Well as i mentioned elsewhere, its possible to use a S&D Gametype without a Mutator, simply set the Reinforcement time = Map Time Limit and you'd get a S&D Gametype if one uses only Destructible Objectives, of course this has to be done with a Mapeditor, but a Map would need some tweaking to make it S&D Playable. Playing Rakowice as S&D for example would be impossible.

But you don't need a Mutator, one just has to do a Map so that it can be played this Way.

And now stop flaming each other read this and if you don't like this don't play on those new S&D Maps.

Upvote 0
shadowmoses said:
You describe the exact problem why there are people trying to switch from CoD/CS and other non-realistic shooters to RO.
They probably had enough of the bunnyhopping, cornerjumping, hipshooting, bellyflopping, nadespamming arcade kiddies etc.
It doesn't have anything to do with the gamemodes per say but the way people abuse the gamemechanics like I described.
The respawning modes in most games encourage people even more to play those games as "keyboard skill" games and not as a tactical shooter. You can do just about anything without feeling the punishment of your actions.
And those arcade players destroy even the most realistic gamemodes on offer for those games.

RO doesn't encourage that way of playing because of the realism factors.
Limited classes (which I miss in those other games, there are too many snipers and machinegunners etc), no croasshairs (which is impossible in those games because there is no free-aim, you can just draw a crosshair on your screen to put it in a very simplistic way), a fatigue system (in those other games you can run, jump etc without loss of accuracy or penalties).

And like some people say that S&D and similar gamemodes are great for competitions (check the ladders of the CoD competitions, they are very popular) or even friendly matches against other clans.
Absolutely true.
And there are a lot of clans who prefer to play a match or friendly against other clans every day.

People who say "make a mod or mutator" don't realise you can't use those in competitions because there a too many different mods and mutators that do the same thing but with different parameters. No uniformity, no competition because teams can never decide which mod or mutator to use. Each team preferes their own mod/mutator. That is why it is important that it is an integral part of the game and that it is a standard.

One more thing to add is that we don't need the devs to make those kind of gamemodes, just let mapmakers do that job. We will accomodate ourselves if there is a real need. Which in my point of view makes the whole discussion of yes or no and go play game X completely useless.

Upvote 0
Rrralphster said:
One more thing to add is that we don't need the devs to make those kind of gamemodes, just let mapmakers do that job. We will accomodate ourselves if there is a real need. Which in my point of view makes the whole discussion of yes or no and go play game X completely useless.

Yes but its already possible, as mentioned above (3 times already, wonder why no one reads it), you have to do special Maps because you can't play one of the Stock 13 Maps as S&D, because they are either too big or don't have Destroyable Objectives.

Even "small" Maps are too big for unreinforced S&D (there was reinforced S&D in CoD though as a Mod), so you need Maps half the size of StalingradKessel to get a nice Map for S&D imho :)

Imho none of the current 13 Maps are suited for unreinforced S&D, you'd either mod them as reinforced S&D, with Map Editor, or wait for Tripwire to release such a Map, or cut a official Map down with the Editor and place destructable Objectives.

This will be pretty easy as all official Maps will be open for Moding/Paste+Copy.

Upvote 0
Rrralphster said:
People who say "make a mod or mutator" don't realise you can't use those in competitions because there a too many different mods and mutators that do the same thing but with different parameters. No uniformity, no competition because teams can never decide which mod or mutator to use. Each team preferes their own mod/mutator. That is why it is important that it is an integral part of the game and that it is a standard.

I disagree. Its up to the competition in question to decide which mutator it wants to use. You are excaggerating.

Upvote 0
Witzig said:
Yes but its already possible, as mentioned above (3 times already, wonder why no one reads it), you have to do special Maps because you can't play one of the Stock 13 Maps as S&D, because they are either too big or don't have Destroyable Objectives.

Even "small" Maps are too big for unreinforced S&D (there was reinforced S&D in CoD though as a Mod), so you need Maps half the size of StalingradKessel to get a nice Map for S&D imho :)

Imho none of the current 13 Maps are suited for unreinforced S&D, you'd either mod them as reinforced S&D, with Map Editor, or wait for Tripwire to release such a Map, or cut a official Map down with the Editor and place destructable Objectives.

This will be pretty easy as all official Maps will be open for Moding/Paste+Copy.

Isn't that exactly what I said in the quote? And I've said it in different threads as well. About the creation of those modes I mean.
The current maps are balanced for conquest and not roundbased or S&D so there will be need of new maps anyway. Tryinig to mod current maps probaly doesn't work in that respect.

Ghab said:
I disagree. Its up to the competition in question to decide which mutator it wants to use. You are excaggerating.

Like I said in response to Witzig, new maps need to be created because the current maps are balanced for conquest style games. So no need for a mutator anyway.

Upvote 0