• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Waffen ss skins

Otto, of the 159 posts in this thread you have contributed a total of 14 posts (8.8% of the total). Of these 14 posts, 12 were complaints or laments about why the SS skins have not been released yet. Accompanying this are about 18 posts (11.3%) by persons responding to your posts. This amounts to 20.12% of the total number of posts in the thread being either started by you or written in response to your a$$hattery.

I call that pretty irritating.

Upvote 0
Just to clear things up a little, Warishell, will be getting these in MP shortly, hopefully he'll be on the case next week, we've already got them in SP, once we've tested them and know they are working well, and the process works, we'll go on to produce some US and Brit paratroopers for wetsern front senarios, just be patient, its in the works.:)

Upvote 0
I think it may be possible to make these skins work depending on the map.

I mean I was playing Kobura custom map by shadowmill and it had NEW skins for U.S. army. Perhaps you can try and ask him?

Those skins were always available in the game, just not used on any official maps yet, but available for custom mappers as an option. It's just that RO2 uses a different system for player skins, as explained by dibbler here http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=1243047&postcount=140

I'm confident that Warishell and Kaminski can get it to work depending on the map though.

Upvote 0
I think it may be possible to make these skins work depending on the map.

I mean I was playing Kobura custom map by shadowmill and it had NEW skins for U.S. army. Perhaps you can try and ask him?

Those skins have been around since launch but weren't being used in any of the stock maps released. You'll most likely see them in more maps in the future.

But yeah, skins are definitely map dependent and I could definitely see custom character skins being used in a map as long as the files are packaged in.

Upvote 0
Just to clear things up a little, Warishell, will be getting these in MP shortly, hopefully he'll be on the case next week, we've already got them in SP, once we've tested them and know they are working well, and the process works, we'll go on to produce some US and Brit paratroopers for wetsern front senarios, just be patient, its in the works.:)

I am glad to see a lot of progress here. It's good idea with western front uniforms.

Upvote 0
But yeah, skins are definitely map dependent and I could definitely see custom character skins being used in a map as long as the files are packaged in.

Skins in RO2 aren't actually map dependent (like I think they were in DH and RO). They are map temperature dependent though. Winter skins are loaded when the temperature is low enough otherwise the normal skins are loaded.

We are looking into making it possible to dynamically load skins for maps. Which would mean a server admin could choose which skins he wants for any map.

I will check out how those skins are loaded with that other map though I'm interested in how that's done (Kobura custom map)

Upvote 0
Skins in RO2 aren't actually map dependent (like I think they were in DH and RO). They are map temperature dependent though. Winter skins are loaded when the temperature is low enough otherwise the normal skins are loaded.

We are looking into making it possible to dynamically load skins for maps. Which would mean a server admin could choose which skins he wants for any map.

I will check out how those skins are loaded with that other map though I'm interested in how that's done (Kobura custom map)

The SS were never in Stalingrad though, so be sure not to put them on the actual 'Stalingrad' Maps.

Upvote 0
American and British paratroopers? I can understand Americans and they both excite me but the British...that sounds like a lot more work. Voice acting, new weapons, sounds, and the like. That is if you plan on making a new faction of course. I'd be pretty happy about the British even if they speak in Boston accents and have Garands.

Upvote 0
Ref waffen ss at Stalingrad, I don't know for certain, if they were, but here's what people are saying about this on the axis history forum, here's a couple of quotes.

Not sure if this was discussed before, but here we go: Can I get some info on Waffen SS units at Stalingrad? Particularly which units from which divison were stationed there. (before anybody denies SS at Stalingrad, I don't mean the actuall battle. Apparently there was an SS unit stationed to guard the airfield and train routes. They were airlifted once the situation got desperate)

My sources are discussions held at this archeological site where people look for war relics. Few people who live in Stalingrad (I think its now Wolgograd) area mentioned finding SS ID tags and other equipment with SS makings. They said that such remains were found at "the german airfield". I dont' really know which one. Another person pointed out that it was some regiment from Polizei division that was there.

P.S. Unfortuantely the discussion is in russian, so I can't paste it here.

Upvote 0
Ok, have the book. Beginning on page 277;

"No SS units served at Stalingrad, but it is not inconceivable that an individual SS sniper might have been assigned to this task. That such a deployment is not ruled out and is plausibly implied can be seen in the interrogation of Helmuth Ludwig, serving in 376th Infantry Division, who was captured on 5 December 1942. During his interrogation Ludwig mentioned that he had seen SS and SA troops in the Kessel:

"I must add, as I heard from the company commander, that a certain amount of soldiers from the SS and SA, apparently with the aim of strengthening and "raising the spirit" of the encircled units, are being brought in by transport planes. I personally saw SS and SA soldiers, approximately 4-5 per company, in the units of the 3rd Motorized division that were at Novoalekseevka"

I make no claims on how accurate this is, just thought it was interesting.

Upvote 0