• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

VNTE-CambodianIncursion Feedback and Suggestions

Had a lot of fun playing this today! I liked the slopes, rocks and vegetation, though some hills are still treacherous. The ability to climb the rocks to the side of some of the objectives and sneak in is nice. One concern might be how close the Vietnamese spawn on that first objective... I actually had an enemy sit on top of our spawn point killing us, asking where the spawn tunnel was in game chat so he could destroy it. Lol. Wasn't too bad this game, or much of an issue for very long, just a thought.

Also, that alien was great. Can't wait to play again.

Upvote 0
Cat_in_da_Hat;n2300121 said:
As i feared. The steam workshop process just isn't up to the task when it comes to maps being updated. I dont know what to say Para941, the process just had some much promise. It would keep servers up to date and clients. Always thought it was too good to be true.

OK so right now I am building light for my upcoming version b1 (this will feature a new objective and the some changes to echo, also the jungle itself is now mostly finished) I will update the current thread sws file with it and also open a new sws item for 5th edition server admins. I will also put further development for ci on hold (mostly finishing up tunnels and polishing the objectives and balancing the map) for now on the one hand to wait on steam to get the redirect working and on the other hand to focus on my new map.

Also thank you to the whole bloodbath community giving me constructive feedback and hosting my early shitty version on my map. You helped a lot and therefore I named foxtrot(the new objective) after you: Bloodbath Farm

Just a little teaser: it will be a city map, based on the assault on quang tri (so pavn vs us army) , which will hopefully scramble the territories mode a little bit up because I have a new concept for it. I am currently in early development with that map and maybe I will slip some more information further down the line.

Upvote 0
Djembe;n2300177 said:
Had a lot of fun playing this today! I liked the slopes, rocks and vegetation, though some hills are still treacherous. The ability to climb the rocks to the side of some of the objectives and sneak in is nice. One concern might be how close the Vietnamese spawn on that first objective... I actually had an enemy sit on top of our spawn point killing us, asking where the spawn tunnel was in game chat so he could destroy it. Lol. Wasn't too bad this game, or much of an issue for very long, just a thought.

Also, that alien was great. Can't wait to play again.

Thank you a lot. Great to hear that you like the map.
Yeah I fixed the spawn camping hopefully through a spawn protection zone in the upcoming b1 version.

I know about some hills around D and E and I fixed them too. But as I said after b1 I will hold updates and only push hot fixes if needed. Maybe working on some bug reports.

Reactions: Djembe
Upvote 0
Para941;n2300357 said:
Thank you a lot. Great to hear that you like the map.
Yeah I fixed the spawn camping hopefully through a spawn protection zone in the upcoming b1 version.

I know about some hills around D and E and I fixed them too. But as I said after b1 I will hold updates and only push hot fixes if needed. Maybe working on some bug reports.

Cool, cool! : ) Those were really my only two worries. Sorry I can't pitch in from the prospective of someone who works on the stuff, but from the general player mindset, hella good!

Upvote 0
Played the latest version on Bloodbath. There are a number of boulders around "C" objective that players can get inside. Check the ones around the wall and along the road that runs next to the objective. There's also a lot of downed logs & such that restrict movement. This is more of a general issue even in some of the official maps, but there are a lot of nice-looking terrain objects that are frustrating to gameplay because you could easily step over them or brush them aside IRL. If something blocks player movement it should be obvious. Having to go around an ankle-high rock is very immersion breaking.

Otherwise.. Take this with a grain of salt because the teams may have been badly tilted to US, but it was pretty much a rout from the start. The map narrows a lot around that "C" objective. There aren't a lot of good defensive positions & the defenders are boxed inside that temple (?) structure. This is also a common problem at objectives bound by high walls. I like how you can climb over them on this map in several places but I think the tunnel system needs to give the defenders the ability to reinforce different areas the same way. Right now there are too many spots with a single manhole exit into the cap zone & they are deathtraps.

Talking to other players the consensus seemed to be that the map looks good but needed better pathing. The objectives don't feel connected & that temple theme is a little repetitive. I think it would help if the map was a little wider and had at least a few good sight lines. Burned-out jungle or village in one or two central places would make it a little less claustrophobic. Imagine a version of that "C" objective cut through by a B52 raid. I think something like that to open it up a bit would make for a better fight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
AntleredCormorant;n2301331 said:
Played the latest version on Bloodbath. There are a number of boulders around "C" objective that players can get inside. Check the ones around the wall and along the road that runs next to the objective. There's also a lot of downed logs & such that restrict movement. This is more of a general issue even in some of the official maps, but there are a lot of nice-looking terrain objects that are frustrating to gameplay because you could easily step over them or brush them aside IRL. If something blocks player movement it should be obvious. Having to go around an ankle-high rock is very immersion breaking.

Otherwise.. Take this with a grain of salt because the teams may have been badly tilted to US, but it was pretty much a rout from the start. The map narrows a lot around that "C" objective. There aren't a lot of good defensive positions & the defenders are boxed inside that temple (?) structure. This is also a common problem at objectives bound by high walls. I like how you can climb over them on this map in several places but I think the tunnel system needs to give the defenders the ability to reinforce different areas the same way. Right now there are too many spots with a single manhole exit into the cap zone & they are deathtraps.

Talking to other players the consensus seemed to be that the map looks good but needed better pathing. The objectives don't feel connected & that temple theme is a little repetitive. I think it would help if the map was a little wider and had at least a few good sight lines. Burned-out jungle or village in one or two central places would make it a little less claustrophobic. Imagine a version of that "C" objective cut through by a B52 raid. I think something like that to open it up a bit would make for a better fight.

SO first of all thankyou for the proper constructive feedback. The rotten trees are dealt with as they are all on nocollision now... i realised that its a problem before. Rocks will stay the same for now.

There are 5 exits of the tunnelsystem and yes two of them are in the objective itself but there are a few around it( and i will add another two exits in a future version).

C objective is usually fine(i mean i played the map a lot of times and there were multiple times the defenders hold the attackers back on C. Also the big problem atm is that the defenders dont fall back when A and B are taken. But that is a problem of the game itself... I am working on a mod though to make a proper moveupzone :)

The pathing is directly taken from bf:vietnam so is most of the important Objectives (like the Temple and Shrine).

And last point the line of sight: It is intended that you only see a very limited distance. It maybe not as fun for some people but i really wanted to pass over the feeling in that the vietnam war had: deep untouched jungles. And keep in mind that they didnt dropped Agent Orange or Napalm on every part of the jungle... Lots of fights took part in jungles with bad line of sight.
And If you get to Foxtrot you get an more open Objective though.

Upvote 0
Para941;n2301471 said:
SO first of all thankyou for the proper constructive feedback. The rotten trees are dealt with as they are all on nocollision now... i realised that its a problem before. Rocks will stay the same for now.

There are 5 exits of the tunnelsystem and yes two of them are in the objective itself but there are a few around it( and i will add another two exits in a future version).

C objective is usually fine(i mean i played the map a lot of times and there were multiple times the defenders hold the attackers back on C. Also the big problem atm is that the defenders dont fall back when A and B are taken. But that is a problem of the game itself... I am working on a mod though to make a proper moveupzone :)

The pathing is directly taken from bf:vietnam so is most of the important Objectives (like the Temple and Shrine).

And last point the line of sight: It is intended that you only see a very limited distance. It maybe not as fun for some people but i really wanted to pass over the feeling in that the vietnam war had: deep untouched jungles. And keep in mind that they didnt dropped Agent Orange or Napalm on every part of the jungle... Lots of fights took part in jungles with bad line of sight.
And If you get to Foxtrot you get an more open Objective though.

Hey glad it was useful to you. But about the rocks; players are able to hide inside some of them. I could've worded that better before; this a separate issue from not being able to climb over them. There are at least a couple of places where someone can hide themselves entirely inside one & still be able to see and fire out of them.

I'll have to explore the tunnel systems further. Thanks again for reading.

Upvote 0
Playing the B2 version. The tunnels seem improved but can you make them part of the objective? More holes in the walls @ D & E or vines & stuff to get over them, on both sides of the wall. The defenders are still bunched up for grenade spam. There are also some windows that you can't climb through & tunnels that are blocked. Suggest opening them up or removing them, like putting a grate over the windows etc.

Still think you could widen the map some & get a couple new paths. It's still really pinched around C.

I'm not much for sniping myself, but the class is always open on this map because there aren't many good vantage points. A couple of tree stands or guard towers would go a long way. I do like the challenge of having to pick out targets through all the brush, so forget what I said about a clearing. Small areas of burnt jungle would look cool but all the snipes need are a little elevation & range IMO.

Lastly, the US artillery cooldown is really fast. Adding a bit of space and/or having tunnels insides objectives would help if you don't want to make it slower.

Really fun map overall & tends to be a good fight even if favoring the attackers a bit right now. It's definitely got its own flavor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just had this bug. We were attaching as US and to the very last cap. THere was an invisible wall at the start of one of the bridges. I wasnt able to see what one it was because we one the map quickly. It was in lockdown if that makes any difference. But definitely a block as there were a few attackers around trying to get through the small bridge. Server had b2 version. Great map by the way

Upvote 0
heathen;n2302273 said:
yeah, the rocks on the back side of C are transparent and you can run into them. Paths to the left hand side of C need to be a little clearer. But great map. I put your map as number 2 on my list.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rs2vietnam/comments/6r8onj/10_custom_map_reviews/

I really like how you say constantly updating... Lol haven't really been in the sdk for 1 month. But exams are over soon I should then I will get onto it again

Upvote 0