• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

virtual memory error fix

Ilpalazzo

Mar 14, 2006
I did a little searching on the forum and nothing I found helped me fix this error. I dunno if this is mentioned here somewhere so I thought it might help to put this here...

I have been trying to play RO today and for some reason I kept getting a 'ran out of virtual memory' error, or something like that. It wouldn't start up. I messed around and did a bunch of things. Before giving up and reinstalling I tried verifying and defragging the game cache files. That fixed it for me.

In case somebody doesn't know how to do that; In steam, click on the game and then click properties. You will find the options under the 'Local Files' tab.

Just thought I'd put that out here in case it helps anybody else. If this is a known fix for that issue then just delete this.

All I saw in the faq for this issue was this,

"Error: message "Your system is low on virtual memory"

Fix:
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
On the Advanced tab, under Virtual memory, click Change.
Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file that you want to change.
Under Paging file size for selected drive, click to select the System managed size check box, and then click Set.
Click OK three times.
When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Yes."

"Error: message "Your system is low on virtual memory"

Fix:
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
On the Advanced tab, under Virtual memory, click Change.
Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file that you want to change.
Under Paging file size for selected drive, click to select the System managed size check box, and then click Set.
Click OK three times.
When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Yes."
Yep, virtual memory is actually hard disk space. When your RAM fills up then data is temporarily stored on the hard drive in a paging file. It treats the paging file like slow moving RAM or "virtual memory". The best fix is to add RAM so the system doesn't have to swap things to the hard disk. Letting the system determine the size of the virtual memory is usually better than setting it yourself. If your hard drive is getting full then the paging file may not be big enough to hold everything the system wants to swap out, thus generating your error.
After adding RAM, the next best step is to make sure you have enough empty space on your hard drive and letting the system set the virtual memory size.

Upvote 0