• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Very Poor performance

I'll start off with my server's specs:

- Xeon x5675 @ 3.07ghz
- 6GB Ram
- Windows Server 2008 R2

We have tried 64, 50, 48, 32 and 24 slots for performance. Seems that at about 20 slots, the core gets maxed, then performance goes to crap. Here is a quote from the beta server hosting thread:

32 Players: CPU usage - 1 Core of a 2.6 GHZ Core I7 or equivalent (i.e. the server process will take most of 1 core, with a few smaller threads on other cores). We also tested on an Intel Core2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66GHz and that could handle 32 players but I wouldn't try and do 32 players with a machine much slower than that.
If those specs should run 32 slots, why are we not getting that type of performance. I've searched up some benchmarks with the processor in our server and it appears to be a pretty powerfull chip:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+X5675+%40+3.07GHz

I'd like for a TWI staff member to possibly comment on this. I'm not sure if there is a setting in the server configs that we have wrong or something else that can be causing this.

In all seriousness, Gossamer and I are fairly certain we've either overlooked something or just mucked something up in our server. We're both relatively unfamiliar with Unreal servers and would like to believe what Ramm said about about performance.

We've followed the advice to use the -preferprocessor command in our start line and can see it work, i.e. core #5 is pegged when we get to about 20 players.

Please help and thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Disable speedstep if it is on, and ask them to make sure HPET is enabled.

Asked about both topics, awaiting their reply.

EDIT: Here is the reply -

P-state transitions are enabled on the machine because they have to be to allow the use of turbo mode. We combine this with on-demand switching and a very low usage threshold to ensure maximum performance.

Also HPET is enabled.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We took -preferprocessor=4 off our command line and used FireDaemon to set the affinity to the four cores least used on our server.

Performance improved a great deal but it still is not what I would hope / expect. The load is now spread between 4 cores fairly evenly at roughly 15-50% instead of maxing a single core out. However, we're still seeing a slight amount of lag and desync.

Thanks for your posts here and elsewhere carter.s - if it wasn't for your feedback I don't think we could have (half-)solved this today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You guys should totally be able to handle 32 players on that server easily and most likely even 50. Spreading the affinity across multiple cores is a bad idea, as switching between the cores causes the game to run very poorly (thus the suggestion for using preferprocessor to set the affinity). Is there anything else running on that physical core (i.e. if you set the affinity to 4, is anything on 4 or 5 since those are both the same physical core).

One of the GSP's in the recommended server hosting partners is running 50 player servers on machines on an I7 3.2 GHZ and their CPU usage peaked out at 77% on 1 core.

Is this a dedicated box? If so if you want to share the login with me I'd be happy to hop on and take a look at the config. Mail me on the TWI admins or HLDS list and I'll get back with you there.

Upvote 0
You guys should totally be able to handle 32 players on that server easily and most likely even 50. Spreading the affinity across multiple cores is a bad idea, as switching between the cores causes the game to run very poorly (thus the suggestion for using preferprocessor to set the affinity). Is there anything else running on that physical core (i.e. if you set the affinity to 4, is anything on 4 or 5 since those are both the same physical core).

One of the GSP's in the recommended server hosting partners is running 50 player servers on machines on an I7 3.2 GHZ and their CPU usage peaked out at 77% on 1 core.

Is this a dedicated box? If so if you want to share the login with me I'd be happy to hop on and take a look at the config. Mail me on the TWI admins or HLDS list and I'll get back with you there.

I'll PM you. Thanks for the offer.

Upvote 0