• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Valve Boss Calls Windows 8 A 'Catastrophe'

Gamburd

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2007
Detroit, MI
"This is seen by commentators to be a reference to the inclusion of a Windows Store in the Microsoft operating system.

This is a shop through which users will be able to buy apps for their Windows 8 device.

On some versions of Windows 8, it will be the only way to get downloadable software such as games.

Microsoft takes a cut, up to 30%, of every sale made through this store.

This could be a significant threat to the massively successful Steam online game store that Valve runs and which gives it a commission on every title sold through the online market.

A Windows Store closed to everyone but Microsoft might reduce the range of games available for sale through Steam.

Windows 8's links with Microsoft's Xbox Live online game service could also dent the appeal of Steam for many people."

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18996377

Last edited:
I use Windows 8 and I am impressed by how fast it is. It's not clunky or hard to use. You'd have to be an idiot not to understand how to use it. It's not drastically different than Windows 7 except for the home screen with all the icons. Everyone seems to hate new things, like new Facebook layout, new Windows layout, new Steam layouts. It's ridiculous.

Now the whole situation with closing Windows off to just Microsoft products is a bit scary. That would definitely be detrimental to the OS.

Upvote 0
You'd have to be an idiot not to understand how to use it.
That is often the hallmark of terrible, restrictive software.

Like some photo-album organizer your mom brought home for free from the mall and it has five huge glassy buttons and a bunch of stock photos of smiling couples at the top... You definitely would have to be an idiot not to understand how to use it, but try changing the page background to a custom pattern, try to moving photos a little closer together than the default layouts, and perhaps more importantly, try using the file-type that program saves anywhere but in the Mall's-Name's Photoservice...

Intuitive usability and ergonomics are very important, of course! This is just my experience with any kind of software that has big glassy buttons so I'm very prejudiced against Windows 8.:eek:

Upvote 0