• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

Valve Boss Calls Windows 8 A 'Catastrophe'

Gamburd

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 14, 2007
Detroit, MI
"This is seen by commentators to be a reference to the inclusion of a Windows Store in the Microsoft operating system.

This is a shop through which users will be able to buy apps for their Windows 8 device.

On some versions of Windows 8, it will be the only way to get downloadable software such as games.

Microsoft takes a cut, up to 30%, of every sale made through this store.

This could be a significant threat to the massively successful Steam online game store that Valve runs and which gives it a commission on every title sold through the online market.

A Windows Store closed to everyone but Microsoft might reduce the range of games available for sale through Steam.

Windows 8's links with Microsoft's Xbox Live online game service could also dent the appeal of Steam for many people."

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18996377

Last edited:

Grobut

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 1, 2006
Denmark
If MS wants to turn the PC into a cloused platform, then it will be the death of Windows, not the death of the PC.

Alexander Ostmann

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 31, 2009
Maine, USA
I use Windows 8 and I am impressed by how fast it is. It's not clunky or hard to use. You'd have to be an idiot not to understand how to use it. It's not drastically different than Windows 7 except for the home screen with all the icons. Everyone seems to hate new things, like new Facebook layout, new Windows layout, new Steam layouts. It's ridiculous.

Now the whole situation with closing Windows off to just Microsoft products is a bit scary. That would definitely be detrimental to the OS.

Murphy

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
liandri.darkbb.com
You'd have to be an idiot not to understand how to use it.
That is often the hallmark of terrible, restrictive software.

Like some photo-album organizer your mom brought home for free from the mall and it has five huge glassy buttons and a bunch of stock photos of smiling couples at the top... You definitely would have to be an idiot not to understand how to use it, but try changing the page background to a custom pattern, try to moving photos a little closer together than the default layouts, and perhaps more importantly, try using the file-type that program saves anywhere but in the Mall's-Name's Photoservice...

Intuitive usability and ergonomics are very important, of course! This is just my experience with any kind of software that has big glassy buttons so I'm very prejudiced against Windows 8.:eek:

Nezzer

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 3, 2010
Porto Alegre, RS
Everyone knew it was going to be horrible, knowing the way Windows works.

A **** version always follows a good one. So naturally whatever Windows comes after the failure that is Windows 8 will be good.
That's exactly why I don't have much faith in Windows 8. Haven't tried it yet, but I don't expect much from it.

Major Liability

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 14, 2010
New York
I very much hope there aren't programs or games that won't work on 7 that do work on 8. Hell, I'm not even switching from XP until they stop supporting it entirely (tried 7, went back a month later due to compatibility issues).

Shadrach

Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2006
Elitist Prick Ski Lodge
stian.freeshell.org
I guess the 'every second Windows is good' rule applies here as well :p

But when/if "Windows 9" is out, hopefully Linux will have gotten to the point where it is possible to game on it. Getting Steam onto Linux will be a big, big part in making that happen.

Big question is, who's gonna make DirectX for Linux... :(

Moyako

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 10, 2008
Venezuela
www.xfire.com
One question, when that judge said "APIs cannot be copyrighted", didn't he open the door for a DirectX adaptation to Linux?

Of course, I don't have any knowledge in programming, so could someone clarify this?

CandleJack

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 2, 2009
VIC
Nobody will buy/use Windows because it is no improvement over Win7, end of story.
Which isn't much of an improvement over WinXP.

So far as i can tell, XP does everything better than W7 except for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s MISERY mod.