• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Utilising the mp40 for all situations

silent assassin

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2007
Ive been experimenting a lot with the mp40 & developed a few decent stratagies & ideas after using the mp5 a lot on cod4 in the same way.

I like the mp40 a lot coz of its multiple roles. I can use it for supression at longer ranges, as a "sub-rifle" at medium ranges and a very effective weapon at close range.

For example, at medium ranges the mp40 excels against bolt action rifles. When i see a rifleman, i instantly hit the deck, try to rest the gun on something if i can without taking too much time, & open up with rapid single shot bursts. Im talking bursts with barely half a second between each shot. The less experienced rifleman will usually become terrorized by the rapid succession of shots if not killed by the first few bursts & try to make a run for cover luckily with wounds to his legs, then hell try to shoot back, but drop his gun after being wounded in the hand, then hit the deck to try & pick up his rifle, all if he's lucky to survive this long. The more experienced rifleman will usually hit the deck straight away & try to shoot back, but with a slow rate of fire, & with him already ranged, keeping up the pressure with this method still works because he is not moving - he'll be lucky to get off a shot. The main threat against this strategy is semi auto riflemen, who can basically apply the same strategy but with a slower rate of fire because of the increased recoil. The trick here is to slow your rate of fire slightly (1 round per second/2 seconds) so that you can take aim more precisely while he's diving to the ground, trying to spot you & while he takes aim. This is also majorly effective against enemy smg soldiers because none of the russian smgs have the major accuracy advantage that the mp40 does.

At closer ranges, ie a corridor or small network of rooms, its always important to take your time with movement, crouching & ironsighting is always advisable. Russian SMGs are the threat here, we all know that no one ever ironsights the ppsh 41. Lets say that you are approaching a 90 degree corner in a corridor, & lets say that a russian smg is approaching the same corner in the opposite direction so that you both hit the corner at the same time & see each other at the same time, then both shoot without ironsighting. The odds are approx 60-40 in his favour because the ppsh sprays practically a wall of bullets, compared to the mp40's thin cone projection. Whereas in the same situation, crouching & ironsighting allows him to reach the corner first with you a couple of metres back because of the reduction in speed through crouched movement. You are able to quickly dispatch him in a matter of a few rounds, approach the corner & lean round to check for any more, also its easier to see & hear grenades as an added bonus of taking your sweep slowly & thoughroughly

At long ranges, the mp40 isnt brilliant, but it isnt bad. It's supressive use is excellent, a few seconds where the enemy hides from your few accurate bursts allows your team room to advance, & many is the time ive took aim at ranges far beyond my expectations for the mp40 & managed to hit with the first shot.

The mp40 is probably the most underated gun in the game. Its far more accurate than any smg ive ever encountered in a game, save for cod4's mp5 & i reckon some just dont expect it to be & try to use it like a ppsh, whereas it would be better to treat it closer to the mp44. Zhitomir_Revenge is probably the map which requires smg class to use the most strategy, since you are the only class with grenades, you actually need to be careful of flanking riflemen who would otherwise lob 3 or 4 nades in your general direction.

Remember to keep up a constant base of fire! Taking cover after you think hes not going to die will just result in a grenade being thrown in your general direction. Also NEVER lower your gun after each shot to check his position/see if you've hit him - it seems to make the rounds drop, even on practice mode so i know its not lag related.

Great post, mate, I like the German Maschinenpistole 40 as well, much more than manual and semi-auto rifles. I generally agree with all you have written, save the fact, that I consider the Sturmgewehr 44 an even better gun due to the fact that it is yet more accurate at long ranges and more powerful than the MP-40.

Upvote 0
Great post, mate, I like the German Maschinenpistole 40 as well, much more than manual and semi-auto rifles. I generally agree with all you have written, save the fact, that I consider the Sturmgewehr 44 an even better gun due to the fact that it is yet more accurate at long ranges and more powerful than the MP-40.

THe STG-44 has some nasty recoil though, I'm often more effective with an MP-40. I just play with the gun's strength. I think part of the problem though is that I haven't played much with the 44.

Upvote 0
Great post
As an avid Semi auto man, your strategy sums up my hardest targets.
Often i can easily take out run n gunners with any mps, but the cautiious stealth you describe is very effective, I would only add not to fire in rhythm pattern or regularity. the tap tap that is mentioned will attract attention if repeated too soon.

Cheers

Upvote 0