• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Useful rifleman brief

Sulman

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
This is the simplest and best video I've seen about the role of the rifleman in RO2. I'd go as far as to say that every new player should watch it.

RO2 Rifleman on Youtube

It took me a while to shrug off applying an FPS mentality to RO2, which is:

• Stay alive
  • Get kills
  • Help cap

The first two don't matter at all. In fact, getting accustomed to the idea that your avatar is (realistically) disposable cannon fodder opens the game right up as you take risks you normally never would, and this in turn creates incredible opportunities to get some very easy kills.

On a 64 player server, there is no way you're going to advance without getting pinged. No way. The second you live with that idea, the game becomes enjoyable.

What you do notice is how few players attack because they're worried about K/D. It doesn't matter. The tickets will run down with or without you, may as well use those lives to keep up pressure.

In RO2, if you're not capping, you're losing.

Last edited:
Just a heads up on our private server we are limited to bolt rifles, LMG's and SMG's that were available as the 'norm', so 80% of your 'force' are basic 1ea rifleman. Real TO&E's, 1 Squad Leader with SMG, 1 LMG, 8 rifle armed troops and yes there is an honor system, until you completely fill Squad 1 you just can not load up with smg's and LMG's and 'play'. Unless you get the 'perk' of a Soviet 'Shock' Infantry section of PPsH's. Being an all human server, no BOT's and 'awards' based on mission accomplishment as well as survival...far different game than the 'herding cats' exercises on the public servers. Our $1000 monthy tourney is a single elimination (you die you do not respawn) where you MUST operate as a team, with the basic rifleman as the backbone of your TEAM. To 'win' objective must be taken, and you survive, realism at its 'best'. Bridges, Commisar's, Kurgen are the tourney maps, so fire and maneuver is a must, and if done right a game and $ winner.

There are 5 'Teams' in our league so 'realism' is really out there.

With respect, with those constraints, you are describing a totally different game. You want to talk oranges, fine. I'm talking apples.

The reality is, the public servers are dominated by the 'amateur'. There is no restriction on reinforcement tickets, so people are going to use those numbers - that is part of the player's toolkit.

It's a zoo, and I like it. If I want the heavy-breather milsim stuff, I'll go and play ArmA.

RO2 players are usually too conservative because that is how mainstream FPS multiplayer has taught them to be.

You need to be comfortable with losses, that is the whole idea of the territory/reinforcements mechanic.

Upvote 0
I mostly play RS but I have played Roh2 too for maybe 100 hours.

Just my two cents about every Team in RS then in Roh2

Japanese
-On atack Riflemen should exactly do as the video said. Be aggressive! Not to much point in sniping. Since you can Banzai you are actually pretty good at CQC. On defense either rush in with grenades and sacrifice yourself (My favourite part) or stay a little bit back and shoot on a distant. Riflemen are pretty handy that way.
-Americans
With a garand you are pretty good on medium distance but some guys NEED to stay back. If everybody just rushes in (Esspecially on Peleliu) americans dont do very good.

Roh2
Depends totally on the map. Sometimes it gets riddiculous how many people stay back and snipe. On Pavlovs house I got sniped by german (!) elite assault all the time while we riflemen on both sides tried in vain to cap points without support. In general there are so many different situations and maps I think its hard to give one best answer.
:IS2:

Upvote 0
I mostly play RS but I have played Roh2 too for
On Pavlovs house I got sniped by german (!) elite assault all the time while we riflemen on both sides tried in vain to cap points without support. In general there are so many different situations and maps I think its hard to give one best answer.
:IS2:

Been a problem on RO2 since the beginning. Accuracy and lethality unfortunately encourages campers - which is a shame because they lose the game for their team.

I remember once on Fallen Fighters seeing no less than 7 Axis players huddled around an opening. I was all "...Dudes..really."

Upvote 0
The truth of the matter is that there is no one single thing that riflemen should focus on. Telling them to "get in the capzone" is useless unless units are in position on the flanks and in supporting positions to allow these rifles to advance. The best strategy is a slow cautious advance which allows you to use the long-range kill potential of the rifle to your advantage. Find a piece of cover, look out and kill anyone you can see. If you can't see anyone, advance and repeat. Check the flanks of your piece of cover first. If the enemy team has a good defense, this is the only way to be effective in my experience. Trying to run into the capzone (or even trying to get close) before you stop and shoot anyone will get you killed every time. Riflemen need to start scanning for enemies about 100 meters from the enemy positions.

Controlling the flanks of the map is the key to victory on every map. The best example of this is on Bridges at the beginning (objectives C and D in the forest), where riflemen should never try to run across the first river except on the edges of the map. Of course, the MGs and some rifles need to be posted up on the friendly river bank to clear out the forests. The tank controls the open area in the middle of the map. Once the flanks have moved up even with the cap zones (in enfilade with the metal capzone shacks, wood piles, and other cover), they can move laterally and capture quite easily.

Although edges of the map are important, on some maps it is even more vital to control the middle. For example, on Bridges when attacking the Distillery and Bakery (objs. E and F). The attacking team desperately needs to clear the area between the two objectives (bombed out building debris and wreckage). If they can advance to the to the high wall across the street, reinforcements to E and F can be cut off quite effectively.

Upvote 0