• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Upgrading my PC

As much as I always owned AMD chips and now running a Phenom II 965...

I recommend

Intel I5 2500
Asus or Gigabyte Motheboard
Good ram
Can't comment on make of videocard. Nvidia 560Ti and up or Radeon 6870 and up

If you really want to see a big speed upgrade.
An SSD harddrive for your OS and few installed games on it.

Reactions: Peter.Steele
Upvote 0
i Should really resurrect my computer upgrade thread.

Anways heres the info you are probably looking for.

get between 12 and 24 gigs of ddr3 1333 - 1866 mhz in speed. 1600 is ideal, the price difference up to 1800 doesnt make it worth it most of the time.

CPU, an i5 2500k is a great chip that OC's like a beast. If you want a bit more oomph under the hood get an i7 2600k which is a 2500k with hyperthreading enabled. ( second thread per core, so 8 threads instead of 4 ).

Video card, for AMD right now the older 6000 series are priced down because the 7000 series are coming out. nevertheless the 6000 series ( particularly the 6850s and 6870s ) are a damn good deal for the dosh. Two 6870s or 6850s in Crossfire will outperform a 580 for less then half the cost.

dont forget to get a *GOOD* powersupply, for a system like this atleast 700-800 watts, and make sure that the amperage outputs are sufficient for the video cards you choose.

Upvote 0
Sigh... I love these threads because it always brings out the know-it-alls who really know nothing-at-all.

These are the factors that should steer your purchases with PC parts:

1. Your current PC-configuration, list the specs.

2. What your budget is.

3. The website(s) you are comfortable buying from.

Anyone saying "Intel is better" or "I use da ASUS its best" are automatically excluded from forthcoming intellectual discussions regarding PC parts.

Seriously, if you don

Reactions: Floyd
Upvote 0
Sigh... I love these threads because it always brings out the know-it-alls who really know nothing-at-all.

2. What your budget is.

Anyone saying "Intel is better" or "I use da ASUS its best" are automatically excluded from forthcoming intellectual discussions regarding PC parts.

Seriously, if you don

Upvote 0
As much as I always owned AMD chips and now running a Phenom II 965...

I recommend

Intel I5 2500
Asus or Gigabyte Motheboard
Good ram
Can't comment on make of videocard. Nvidia 560Ti and up or Radeon 6870 and up

If you really want to see a big speed upgrade.
An SSD harddrive for your OS and few installed games on it.

This. My system is based off of what you listed and I find it has the best bang for my buck.

Upvote 0
1,2 & 3, I will not disagree.

I believe Floyd has about 10 PC builds under his belt, I have perhaps a few more.
Colt knows his biz.
We are taking from experience, no more, no less.

I have more confidence in Asus boards.
I have more confidence in Intel chips.
I have more confidence in Corsair PSU's
I have more confidence in Kingston memory banks.
I have more confidence in Nvidia GPU's.

Hard Drives, are a little more problematic, but I like Hitatchi/IBM.

Everything else under the sun has been burnt out, at some time or another.

Thanks.

Thanks 51, although I think my humble build count is only around 5 actual builds, beyond that I just keep tabs on the hardware and give advice.:eek:

hehe, its funny, Im going to guess you never had a hitachi deskstar, aka the deathstar? :D
Technie friend of mine warned me to stay away from those after he had 3 in a row burn up and die on him. Course that was over 6-7 years ago, so its likely that the name may still live on but the quality has changed.

Upvote 0

2. What your budget is.

Seriously, if you don

Upvote 0

2. What your budget is.

Seriously, if you don

Last edited:
Upvote 0
get between 12 and 24 gigs of ddr3 1333 - 1866 mhz in speed. 1600 is ideal, the price difference up to 1800 doesnt make it worth it most of the time.

i don't really understand why anyone should need more than 8 right now - or is it cos you recommend 6gb modules?
Or cos memory is so cheap now so anyway?

Upvote 0
memory production for the last few years has been more then demand. Over the last year or two lots of producers have been reducing production by a fair margin. right now memory is cheap and plentiful, but with the reduced production it is likely to come back up a bit.

Even if that does not happen, more memory is a good thing. And I always look at PC building in the context of what is good two years from now, not what is good now. Almost five years ago now everyone was raving about the E series dual cores and how they at that time performed better then the slower Q series quad cores. I bought a quad core, I still game on it now ( albeit this system is going to be replaced within a year ) and I dont really know of too many people who are still rocking the dual core and loving that performance. ( this was also partly due to the fact that I knew that games would become more multi threaded, allowing my Q6600 to age much better then the dual cores ).

When it comes to PC building, atleast in my humble opinion, I dont want to see your ugly *** back asking me to help you build another for at least a few years. ( I usually phrase that as " I want you to get the most out of your monies " ).

Getting back to the ram for a second, the pricing of all Ram generations follows a U shaped curve. DDR3 is now entering from the left into the shallow area of that curve, and the moment ddr4 ( or whatever comes after ddr3 ) is released it will start increasing in price. I decided to upgrade my current machine last year ( ddr2 ) and for the price that I purchased 8 gigs of ddr2, I could have purchased 16 gigs of ddr3 1600.
( High when its new, high when its old, and low when everyone and their dog in the tech industry is mfr'ing the stuff )

Upvote 0
Upvote 0