• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Upgrade my computer

Jamer

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2006
Canada
I'm sure I need to, and would like to start updating my pc. I also know that there are people here that know much more than I do about computers so, would you like to help me please?
This is what I currently have.

intel duo core 2.33Ghz
nforce 650 sli
nvidia 9800GTX/GTX+
4gigs ram
Cooler Master 500w (fan)
2 monitor's, main is a KDS 22" widescreen with max res 1680x1050
and a V7 17" 4.3
Cooler Master Centurion 5 (CACT05) ATX Mid-Tower
Logitech G15 keyboard
Logitech MX revolution mouse

So what do you think should be the first thing I upgrade? I don't want to go top of the line but I am willing to spend for a solid respectable rig.

Thank-you very much for your help and your time.

I'm sure I need to, and would like to start updating my pc. I also know that there are people here that know much more than I do about computers so, would you like to help me please?
This is what I currently have.

intel duo core 2.33Ghz
nforce 650 sli
nvidia 9800GTX/GTX+
4gigs ram
Cooler Master 500w (fan)
2 monitor's, main is a KDS 22" widescreen with max res 1680x1050
and a V7 17" 4.3
Cooler Master Centurion 5 (CACT05) ATX Mid-Tower
Logitech G15 keyboard
Logitech MX revolution mouse

So what do you think should be the first thing I upgrade? I don't want to go top of the line but I am willing to spend for a solid respectable rig.

Thank-you very much for your help and your time.

Well anything you do is almost certain to require more than 500W so I would start with upgrading your Power Supply.

Upvote 0
Get a new motherboard and CPU and throw that in there. You can get an AMD 4 or 6 core now for pretty low money, and if you get the right motherboard you should be able to re-use the RAM that you have, if you've got DDR2. (If you've got first-gen DDR, then you need new RAM too.)

Your video card is outdated, but it can still keep up, sort of. Keep it for another year or so.

You might want a new PSU.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank-you gentleman! The one thing I knew was that my fan was on the weak side, It works hard.
Perhaps I will need a new tower as well?
That card looks sweet so maybe I'll build around that or is that not a good starting point?
Fan ,CPU, motherboard, vid card, it might be a good idea to build new! What can you guys put together for me as a recommendation. I got $2,000 Canadian to play with and don't really want to go more unless the build puts me over, then np.

cheers!

Upvote 0
Intel Desktop NZXT Barebones Kit - $1249

This Bundle Includes

Intel Desktop Board DP55KG Motherboard
Intel BX80605I7875K Core i7 875K Processor
OCZ OCZ3G1333LV8GK Gold 8GB PC10666 DDR3 Dual Channel Memory Upgrade
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB Hard Drive (OEM)
NZXT Tempest ATX Mid-Tower Case
Ultra X4 750-Watt Modular Power Supply

EVGA 015-P3-1480-AR GeForce GTX 480 Video Card - 1536MB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, Dual DVI, HDMI, SLI, DirectX 11, Fermi - $624.99

With shipping to Toronto (don't know where you actually are) that's about $2162, ordered from TigerDirect Canada. You could always get a cheaper video card, too, to bring the total down. The 480 is substantially more expensive than the 460. Actually, it's probably more expensive than a pair of 460's would be.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, then click the links, add to cart, and then put in your postal code and you'll see the applicable tax and shipping.

lol, touche`

I'm going to go with the build you recommended here and the 2 460's. I've also decided to get a new monitor that will have a higher native resolution and maybe a little bigger screen size, not sure yet on size, and keep my main for teamspeak and such.

Thank-you everyone for your suggestions, I appreciate your time and help.

A round of beers, cheers!

Upvote 0
Well I finally got it all together. I know it took a couple months but I spent a lot of time at the cabin over the summer. The wife and I bought a new boat this year:D, so I went with Yoshiro's recommendation instead of a new build.

Anyways, I just wanted to say thanks again guys.
I ended up going with 2 GTX 460's,both a gigbite, a coolermaster silent pro M700W and I threw in a quad core as well.
I might add that I'm proud of myself installing it all on my own for the first time instead of taking it in.
I'm learning more and more as the time goes by,( a lot of it here) and with a little encouragement and some common sense it was not as intimidating as I had comvinced myself:eek:
What an amazing difference in performance and it looks great!, I'm quite happy.

I really do appreciate you time and knowledge shared. I've gained knowledge myself as a result and for that I salute you.
My hat's off, Cheers!

Last edited:
Upvote 0