• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Upgrade help

THG repo

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Im going to get a new gfx card for my system any recomendations?
Ill need a new psu any recomendations?

I want a quite psu and a mid range gfx card ive got a 9600xt 128mb right now.

Also any reconmendations on this idea I have.
Replacing my shagged cpu fan with a silent heat pipe dohicky.
Beefing up my case fans with eather a front mount and/or replace the existing rear fan.
So whats a good silent cpu cooler?
Are their fans that are greatly cooler or quiter for cases?
If I had good case cooling what are the chances im going to need a fan stuck on the heatpipes.
Also how would I stick a fan on the heatpipes that only kicked in when it was needed unstead of buzzing all the time?
Any other ideas on upgrading gfx cards, decreasing noise, lowering temps.

I dont overclock at the moment though my case temp at the moment is 32.7degC and thats the avg. high temp. My cpu is 36degC and this is in summer and it wont get any hotter for the rest of the year.

(Following is just hardware i have personally used and had great results with, im not fanboying any of it so jump in with alternatives if you have em folks)

A card that will give you great performance and doesnt cost the earth, is a Geforce 6600GT - i got marvellous performance from this card when i had one, and it was nice and compact and reliable while not being at all noisy.
For the price, it was/is superb. If you want to go the ATI route though, i will have to let someone else recommend as i am utterly ignorant of ATI's current offerings, but something comparable to the 6600 GT in performance and price is going to be out there too.

Cooling - i used a Thermaltake SilentBoost - very quiet yet still cooled my Athlon XP3200 great (just as long as you dont plan on overlocking too much) Even fitted easily which was a bonus...Arctic Silver thermal paste is a must, as always ;) Some thermaltakes are able to fit both AMD or Pentiums by changing a couple of parts (that come with it) but i honestly cant remember if my ThermalBoost did or not...the Volcano range usually does though, and has adjustable fan speed ability.

As for actual PSU's - i found that the Antec Trupower's have never once let me down, nice and quiet but stable as a rock with great voltages.

Upvote 0
I assume you have agp.

For around 140 euro grab a geforce 6800, 128mb. Default is a little faster than a 6600gt and with some luck you can unluck the last bits of your card.

For around 170 euro grab a geforce 6800, 256mb. Same things as above although you'll have some more memory (and sometimes faster as with asus)

For around 220-239 euro grab a ATI radeon x800xl or a geforce 6800gs agp. (gs is a great overclocker although a little slower than the x800xl by default)

I personally would spend more money than that on an agp motherboard, but you could possibly get a 6800ultra or a x850xt pe or something. ALthough it would probably be bottlenecked by the rest.

And if you buy a new powersupply look at the 12volt amperage more than just the wattage.

Upvote 0
so if we have a 6600gt we should be fine for RO:OST? Not to start a new thread but heres what I have:

amd athlon 2400+ xp-mobile clocked at 2.3ghz
6600gt agp 600 mhz core and 1150 mhz memory
1 gb of 3200 geil ram
asus mobo

Im guessing I should be fine, I can run games like fear and BF2 at medium high levels and get around 50-60 fps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
daschewy said:
so if we have a 6600gt we should be fine for RO:OST? Not to start a new thread but heres what I have:

amd athlon 2400+ xp-mobile clocked at 2.3ghz
6600gt agp 600 mhz core and 1150 mhz memory
1 gb of 3200 geil ram
asus mobo

Im guessing I should be fine, I can run games like fear and BF2 at medium high levels and get around 30 fps.
You'd probably get like 100FPS in Ostfront.
But my estimations aren't correct though since I never played the game...
Anyway, it could be much higher though...

Upvote 0