• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Unreal Units = how many meters?

One of those little-known UnrealEd facts which has proved very helpful:

Let's say you want to build a cube 20 meters x 30 meters x 40 meters. Instead of whipping out the calculator, you can simply type "20*60.352", "30*60.352", and "40*60.352" into each respective field and UnrealEd will automatically calculate it.

I forget who showed me that trick on the old forums, but it has come in especially handy.

Upvote 0
I suggest building on grid rather then using this type of calculations :) Approximate your meters to UU and find a satisfactory grid distance that you use.
Not building on grid = mapping house of horror.

The fact that UED can take simple calculations in its entry fields however is a very cool feature that i miss dearly in 3dsmax by now :) But use whole Unreal units!

Upvote 0
Especially so if you're doing this with BSP..
For Level Design, you can probably fudge the 60.352 -> 64uu, and only be +3.65uu/meter.. which is very acceptable :] (or even just 60 would be good for most n-editor things)..

Since there may be some UEd/Editor newish types.. having distances that are, or are based on, powers of 2 is a very good thing, and you should always try to build to the highest grid setting possible. The previous sentance applies 100x fold if using BSP, as it will greatly reduce the likelyhood of you encountering problems with your BSP later!!!!

If you're building statics in Max/Maya/etc.. I think you can use the exact measurements without any problem. (Sas or someone correct me if i'm wrong here please..)

Upvote 0
In my experience, the only time real life measurements really matter are when modelling doors and windows.

I usually make doors about 80uu's wide (for a single door) and 128 to 144 uu's high. Windows are variable, but are usually around 48uu's wide and 64uu's tall, set about 48uu's above the floor (that used to matter a lot when deploying mgs, not so much now). Those might be a bit off since I'm going from memory, but they sound right to me.

In max, you can make your life easier by using the skeleton. I set it to about 1.9 meters in height and use that to scale things.

Upvote 0