• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Unreal 3.0 and RO:2

but there has been a lot of speculation (see the 'rumour mill' thread)
I did but isn't it just us lot speculating for whatever that's worth. In fact I think its interpreted by some more as 'what do you hope TW are up to' thread judging by some replies.

I'm talking about probably 2 to 3 years. :D
Well i hope it is around 2 years. We got some decent looking mods coming up and plenty to do and enjoy. As the game is evolving players experiences can be drawn upon to make any RO2 even better. We will have loads more maps with I presume a great variety of gameplay. I say rinse Ro 1st then. Of course f I had just invested in a mammoth rig now I might feel differently.

Upvote 0
We are continuing to work on RO:O and will do so for some time (till the end of 2007 is the current plan). We will re evaluate work on RO:O again at the time depending on how things are going.

We have not announced what our UE 3 project will be at this time. The only information we have said is we will probably announce that information either at GDC or what E3 turns out to be this year.

Upvote 0
We are continuing to work on RO:O and will do so for some time (till the end of 2007 is the current plan). We will re evaluate work on RO:O again at the time depending on how things are going.

We have not announced what our UE 3 project will be at this time. The only information we have said is we will probably announce that information either at GDC or what E3 turns out to be this year.

could you provide us with some uber-1337 fake image rendered in Maya with comment "blabla....we are working on RO:XYZ and we would like to share so INGAME screenshot...blabla" I think that things are too calm here... :D

Upvote 0
Yoshiro.... and the entire TW crew;

I could care less what your future plans are... when they're announced that's fine by me.

What you have done and continue to do is what counts. As far as I am concerned, you've set the industry standard by which all others will, now and forever, be judged.

I have never had so much fun, positive player interaction, superb developer support and outstanding game support as I have with RO and know I will continue to enjoy.

All our regulars agree with me.. and I'm certain many, many current RO players and Admins.

Upvote 0
When is this GDC??

GDC 2007 was in March.

I did not see any reference to anything from TWI at that time, so I'm guessing they held out for later events.

E3 2007 is being held in July.

I guess everyone will have to wait until then.

We have not announced what our UE 3 project will be at this time.

I would be more interested to know if an "RO:2 for UE3" is set in the same time period (WW2)...

Even though I do almost all of my community mapping for UT Universe games (my professional mapping work is of course project-specific), my personal mapping style is more suited to real-time fps genres instead of UT's "frag 'em" gameplay style.
However, most games that I prefer playing have either no mapping support (eg. BF2142) or minimal player/server (eg. T:V). So I have done most of my community maps for UT games simply for the larger audience.

So this year, in my spare time between my tools development for Epic/UE Licensees and regular life, I have been creating my own high-quality fully custom meshes for a more realistic near-future war setting for [initially] UT2004 and then eventually on UT3 when the release version ships (unfortunately they will have to be set in ONS and VCTF game types). I have also had UE3 for over a year now as a freelance level designer, so I can have the meshes retooled for that engine quickly when UT3 ships.

Unreal3 is "quite the engine". Its use can only make RO's future more superior.

UE3 is an amazing engine.
What I have always liked about the UE Engines, and why I prefer doing dev work on them is that they are more stable than most other engines and have some of the best tools (eg. UnrealEd).

Upvote 0
The game Hour of Victory is coming out soonish, and it's a WWII game with the Unreal 3 engine. It's for consoles, I think, but if you search for the trailers you can see what RO2 could look be.
You can't.

Red Orchestra uses a completely different texturing style, focussing on much more detail.

Makes me wonder how that would look with Phong shading and normal maps/relief maps or parallax mapping. :D

Anyway, does TWI have the standard UE3.0 package or the IPP package?
I really hope you have the IPP package, SpeedTree and especially Kynapse would really do RO good.

Kynapse could even make playing Practice mode fun. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can't.

Red Orchestra uses a completely different texturing style, focussing on much more detail.

Makes me wonder how that would look with Phong shading and normal maps/relief maps or parallax mapping. :D

Anyway, does TWI have the standard UE3.0 package or the IPP package?
I really hope you have the IPP package, SpeedTree and especially Kynapse would really do RO good.

Kynapse could even make playing Practice mode fun. :D

Yea, the AI tools are simply amazing in UE 3. I watched those videos and I was astonished by how easy and quick making waypoints was O_O
But I thought they won the full license for one game?

Upvote 0
Yea, the AI tools are simply amazing in UE 3. I watched those videos and I was astonished by how easy and quick making waypoints was O_O
Yes, I hope they also have SpeedTree and Kynapse.

Kynapse enables you to have AI which dynamically find it's waypoint, even when a mesh has been deformed or scattered in such a way that the path is totally blocked.
http://www.kynogon.com/images-blog/Demos/GDC/destructibleworld.avi

http://www.kynogon.com/images-blog/Demos/GDC/localpathfinding.avi

Also, the way in which bots take cover and advance is really amazing.

It's completely integrated in UnrealKismet and UnrealEd when you a license.

And for SpeedTree, well... maybe it might unlock a more dense Lyes-Krovy-kinda map with good framerates. :D
Or Arad with real forests with descent framerates.

The SpeedTreeRT license for Unreal Engine 2(.5) is $ 9995. The Unreal Engine 3.0 was to be comparable.
Which is, imo a not really expensive for such middleware.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yoshiro.... and the entire TW crew;

I could care less what your future plans are... when they're announced that's fine by me.

What you have done and continue to do is what counts. As far as I am concerned, you've set the industry standard by which all others will, now and forever, be judged.

I have never had so much fun, positive player interaction, superb developer support and outstanding game support as I have with RO and know I will continue to enjoy.

All our regulars agree with me.. and I'm certain many, many current RO players and Admins.

couldn't of said it better myself.

Upvote 0
... you search for the trailers you can see what RO2 could look be.

As a level designer having already worked with UE3 (and a couple of other engines supporting Normal Maps etc.), it does really add a significant amount of realism to the environment.
IMHO one major downfall though is the lack of Detail Textures on nexgen engines such as UE3.

It is still possible with current engines like UE2.5 to get close to nexgen visuals by coding in support for NormalMaps, Bloom, Pixel Shaders for water, etc. This has been done on titles released by companies like IG, and really does make a difference.

SpeedTree wouldn't be a requirement for a RO:2 type game, it is relatively easy to script in a tree placement tool. And using a combination of optimization techniques a good framerate can still be realized. So the cost:return ratio has to be considered.

I'm curious since I didn't know the engine was finished or anything.

Technically it isn't finished (last time I looked at the to-do) but it should be relatively close to. Licensees often use a subset of features or add their own custom coding into the engine though. For example, RoboBlitz using UE3 has been available for a long time.

I have had UE3 for developer use for a year already, which includes some GoW and UT3 content. Most of what has gone into the nexgen games is more work on mesh creation (hi and low poly versions to generate greater detail) than actual "magic" in the engine. A lot of what UE3 (GoW or UT3) is accomplishing visually could be done similary with older engines that supported NMaps and Shaders.

Upvote 0
SpeedTree wouldn't be a requirement for a RO:2 type game, it is relatively easy to script in a tree placement tool. And using a combination of optimization techniques a good framerate can still be realized. So the cost:return ratio has to be considered.
I was mainly referring to it's image-based rendering and having a single (in-editor embedded) model editor which also make the cardboard sprites as addition to the mesh itself.

Surely it's possible to DIY, but you have to face the question: do you want to put effort in it?
I have had UE3 for developer use for a year already, which includes some GoW and UT3 content. Most of what has gone into the nexgen games is more work on mesh creation (hi and low poly versions to generate greater detail) than actual "magic" in the engine. A lot of what UE3 (GoW or UT3) is accomplishing visually could be done similary with older engines that supported NMaps and Shaders.
Graphically, yes.

Technically, you could rebuild the entire engine or make your own, but is it feasible?

Upvote 0