• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Unknown Steam Error 'Profile and Acheivments'

CoenJC

Jan 7, 2010
Ok, so I get this 'Unknown Steam Error' at random times when I click on 'Profile and Acheivments'. it won't happen to me when i first launch killing floor its normally after i play a few matchs online on custom made levels then i return to the main menu and press profile then it will come with this unknown steam error. it seems to be that killing floor disconnects or it cannot talk with steam. the only way to get rid of this error was to quit kf, i can play killing floor on solo but i will take about 5 minutes to load the level. i also cant play on any servers online after recieving this error. please help im running
win vista home basic
1gb ram
2.13ghz
32 bit
radeon x300/x550/1050 series
ive also read other articles about this problem but they are all outdated and also have no fixes.:confused:

Last edited:
Ok, so I get this 'Unknown Steam Error' at random times when I click on 'Profile and Acheivments'. it won't happen to me when i first launch killing floor its normally after i play a few matchs online on custom made levels then i return to the main menu and press profile then it will come with this unknown steam error.
How often it happens?
Lets say in 10 different times you play, how many times that happen?

Probably it's because of the custom made maps and levels.. that happen to me too, every time i tried to run a game with a custom made mod and levels.
The only time i didn't received the error was with playing on custom maps with everything else with the normal definitions.

i can play killing floor on solo but i will take about 5 minutes to load the level.
Try this and see if each one works:

-Go to the Settings, on the Display Tab, put the game details to low or lowest.
-Run in a Low resolution and windowed, like 800x600 or 640x480.
-Defragment your KF files, by steam with the option "Defragment cache files".
-Defragmenting the disk drive where you have your Killing Floor Files.

Hope it helps. :cool:

Upvote 0
This can happen if you have a dodgy internet connection, happens to me occasionally when my wireless connection fails. Whenever this happens, exit KF, make sure you have internet and start up KF again. If the problem persists, restart Steam.

This actually brings more nastiness with it. If you're internet connection fails during play and you reconnect without restarting Killing Floor, your achievements are also not updated!

I defeated the Patriarch on Suicidal and guess what: no "Death to the mad Scientist" :(

Upvote 0
This can happen if you have a dodgy internet connection, happens to me occasionally when my wireless connection fails. Whenever this happens, exit KF, make sure you have internet and start up KF again. If the problem persists, restart Steam.

This brings even more nastiness with it. Your achievements are also not updated when you lose and reconnect internet without exiting Killing Floor.

I beat the Patriarch on suicidal and did not get the Mad Scientist achievement...

Upvote 0
This actually brings more nastiness with it. If you're internet connection fails during play and you reconnect without restarting Killing Floor, your achievements are also not updated!

I defeated the Patriarch on Suicidal and guess what: no "Death to the mad Scientist" :(

you could be correct about the disconnects because i found after recieving the error and then trying to join a server it will take about 5 minutes (it normally only takes about 20 seconds) to join. then if i quit before playing the server i can view the profile and acheivments. also if its disconnecting how can i stop it. thanks

Upvote 0