• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ungraceful crash at loss of network connection

Boogerhead

Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2006
Red Orchestra crashes but refuses to give up its majority of the screen, typically when I've been playing on a server but lost a network connection. It's a strange thing; I can control-alt-delete and get the taskbar to show, then alt-tab through other programs and Alt-F4 'em away (e.g., Firefox), but I never get a chance to see the other programs or even Task Manager. When Red Orchestra croaks, it throws me back to the main menu (multiplayer, practice, ...) but the mouse doesn't move.

I'm encountering this a lot more because of the hurricane and increasingly cold weather. No, really. See, I'm playing on a laptop with a wireless connection, and the wireless connection has a front-and-center mounted button. Over the summer, this wasn't much of a problem, but, er, the fabric of my jeans buckles up in a way that that of my shorts didn't. How's -that- for reproducing the bugs? =)

Well, it seems to be related to your wireless card in your laptop. I've accidentally jerked the ethernet cable (breaking it, of course) during some RO'age, and it just dumps me to the intro screen. I am able to move the mouse though.

Also, before I could get a wired connection to my new computer, I had to use the built-in wireless card (asus m2n32-sli deluxe mobo) for internet. Connections dropped multiple times and nothing like what you've described have happened.

Anyone else you know play RO on a laptop through a wireless connec could test this?

Upvote 0
I lose connections sometimes (interference with a cordless phone) without a big problem, just getting dumped back to the main screen, as you say. I'll try to figure out exactly what I was doing the next time it looks up solid.

... You broke an Ethernet cable while ROing? ... ! That's immersion! =)

Upvote 0