• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Undetonated Explosive Projectiles Dissapearing.

imnrk

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2015
Category: Weapon function.

Reproducability: Sometimes/inconsistent.

Summary: Undetonated explosive projectiles (rockets, tc) occasionaly hit the zed, but do no damage and don't cause stumble.

Description: This bug is similar to the "phantom projectiles" bug which came alongside the "Incinerate and Detonate" update. These weapons (RPG-7' M79, Seeker Six, M16 grenade) sometimes cause no impact damage or incapacitation effects. It seems very random and inconsistent. I have only noticed it at point-blank undetonated shots, as it is harder to tell when the projectile explodes. It happens in both singleplayer and multiplayer, and on any gamemode. This has been occurring since the Monster Masquerade beta, on a prestige level 1 demolitionist, and on all experience levels. I use an old xbox 360 controller, with the default game settings.

Online/Offline: Both.

I do not have any screenshots, as it is impossible to predict. If I ever catch a video clip I will edit it into this thread.

kf2-rpg-collision-cylinder-fail.gif

The conditions that cause this problem are based on how the projectile collides with the zed, I think.

Explosives seem to work correctly if you directly hit a zed's "hitzones", which are their body parts, (head/arms/torso/legs). But explosive projectiles in KF2 are meant to be more generous than that, and also hit a zed if the projectile hits a big basic collision cylinder which generally encompasses the zed, and this is where the problem seems to be. When you hit a zed with an explosive eligible to detonate, it does detonate, and the explosion hits the zed, so it's hard to notice if there are any problems with the impact damage/stumbling. But if it doesn't detonate when you hit a zed, it's very important and noticeable when the impact damage/stumbling fails to apply, and that seems to be when you hit the zed's collision cylinder without hitting their hitzones.

This should be fixed to either entirely count as a hit, damaging/stumbling the zed, or count as not being a hit, so the projectile can go past the zed and hit something else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yea, RPG projectile meant to collide with hitzone directly or otherwise to trace and grab nearest hitzone if it collides with collision cylinder.

It used to work fine (except occasional multiple collisions on same target) before Halloween Beta 1, but then TWI reworked it to remove multiple collision bug which resulted in this new bug.
Spoiler!

Upvote 0
I checked it and yes - unlike Spitfire projectle which is a "Bullet", the projectile of Winterbite is a BallisticExplosive type (that's why it gets destroyed by Siren scream and triggers Demo's Destroyer of Worlds).

And yes it does collide with the ZED's cylinder doing only explosive damage to body without tracing nearest hitzones because its minimum distance to detonate (ArmDistSquared) is set to 0. Don't ask me why, that's how it coded ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Upvote 0