• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics [Ultimate technique of commando] Own chain heavy takedown!

Utopia-Phoenix

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Qingdao, Shandong, China
^^topic

Requirements: A LV25 commando with High capacity magazines/fallback/HP rounds/zedtime-machine gunner enabled.
You, with EXTREME experience!
Weapon loadouts are not limited to, but preferred as SCAR+stoner 63A

If you sought takedown scrakes or even fleshpounds with this technique, you should seek for trash zeds nearby. Enough to chain, but NOT too much nor too near for them to interfere your muzzle.

Make sure you have a full SCAR mag and sufficient ammo in 63A mag before doing this. Equip your SCAR. Tap fire at trash zeds or wait for a zed time to occur. When zedtime arrives use your SCAR to facewhop the target. Just before the zedtime ends, fire at the trash zed. (This requires great accuracy if using SCAR cause only 1-2 rounds is fired in so short a moment). Repeat. If SCAR mag is depleted, swap for 63A for a finish.
Even if the zedtime has ended, you can continue fire at this foe because of your distance between it.

63A is the better weapon for chaining zedtimes via killing trash compared to SCAR, because near the critical moment you can fire 3 or even more bullets to kill the trash. 1 headshot to any unelite clot, or bodyshot to crawlers, is lethal and therfore success in chaining.
In extreme conditions the 63A can do this takedown solely or with the assisstance of an inferior weapon. In this case make sure your 63A mag is full before takedowning, and use 63A first.

Note: This technique is REALLY difficult to use, and require a lot to YOU and your level. Even if successful it eats a lot of ammo. Should be used only in emergency!

The chaining is not only useful on your own. If paired with a SWAT teammate with zedtime RAPID ASSAULT skill then he will dish out MASSIVE damage. (That's INFINITE amount of ammo firing WITHOUT reloading at near-REAL TIME! Even if your gun has NO rounds at all) Enough to takeout a 6P HOE fleshpound! I once played SWAT and took out a fleshpound via zedtime with an EMPTY kriss.:p

Last edited:
Zidious G;n2292016 said:
Not sure what you mean. You get a constant zedtime or what? And what does facewhop mean?

You are the commando. You've got a zed time. You yourself extend it. Use most of the zedtime to fire at the big enemy but just before zed time ends, fire at trash enemy for an extension. Repeat this. Without extension you'll be chopped into shreads by the target, but with extensions, it's the opposite.

Facewhop is to fire at enemy face.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Should be pointed out: this tactic will only work in single-player or at least non-public games.

In other words: try this on a pub server and just before you can kill that clot to extend ZED time you'll find nothing there but smoke from the Demo that shot in your general direction from across the map.

Upvote 0
Denks;n2292184 said:
Should be pointed out: this tactic will only work in single-player or at least non-public games.

In other words: try this on a pub server and just before you can kill that clot to extend ZED time you'll find nothing there but smoke from the Demo that shot in your general direction from across the map.

This tactic is for MP, not SP. In singleplayer you don't even need this tactic to takedown a scrake. A mag of SCAR will do.

If there are demos or sharpshooters then let them handle the foes. Use this technique only if they denied or died, as a last resort.

Upvote 0
Utopia-Phoenix;n2292204 said:
This tactic is for MP, not SP. In singleplayer you don't even need this tactic to takedown a scrake. A mag of SCAR will do.

If there are demos or sharpshooters then let them handle the foes. Use this technique only if they denied or died, as a last resort.

He meant that in an uncoordinated multiplayer game, it is next to impossible to chain Zeds effectively because everybody is killing competitively, not tactically.

Upvote 0
I understand what Utopia is saying quite well. I just don't get the chance to do it to great extent often because I often go with the AK12 along with the SCAR. Sure, Stoner offers greater firepower and a lot more of it, but it also fills up carry capacity, leaving no room for a med pistol. Choices, choices.

Now, I can see why Fallback is required for the weapon swap speed, but I'm unsure why Hollow Points is a requirement. Sure, its extra damage and everyone takes it anyways, but its hardly needed. In fact, the even bigger magazines otherwise would fit this technique far better, for obvious reasons. Of course, you'd have extra recoil to deal with then.

Upvote 0
with all due respect to you, Utopia-Phoenix I understand where you are coming from, however I'd like to add my thoughts regarding your strategy;

1. Commando is a trash clearing class. All perks can deal with BigZ's in a pinch, but some are 'better' at it than others.
2. If you spent more time in Zed time 'trash clearing' and extending that Zed time, it could give dedicated SS, Demo, etc more time to put more bullets into the big zeds - one Railgun Round is worth more than a whole clip from a Commando's Scar when it comes to taking down big Zeds.
3. swapping out much of your precious Z time to hit big Z's instead of trashing means you're more likely to miss an important trash zed for extending that time.

as a SS 'main' I'd rather a Comm did his job, extending Zed Time and prevented crawlers / Stalkers from bumping me so that I can aim more clearly and do more of the important work that I'm built for.

Problem is, ofc if everyone does their job, this game feels too easy.problem is too many anti-trash classes trying to take on big zeds, meaning too much trash making my job harder... when I get a decent pocket trasher (I love me a good firebug) the game feels significantly easier... and yes, if I see a SS or demo doing well, I'm happy to FB for them as well.

Upvote 0
hotmatrixx;n2311635 said:
with all due respect to you, Utopia-Phoenix I understand where you are coming from, however I'd like to add my thoughts regarding your strategy;

1. Commando is a trash clearing class. All perks can deal with BigZ's in a pinch, but some are 'better' at it than others.
2. If you spent more time in Zed time 'trash clearing' and extending that Zed time, it could give dedicated SS, Demo, etc more time to put more bullets into the big zeds - one Railgun Round is worth more than a whole clip from a Commando's Scar when it comes to taking down big Zeds.
3. swapping out much of your precious Z time to hit big Z's instead of trashing means you're more likely to miss an important trash zed for extending that time.

as a SS 'main' I'd rather a Comm did his job, extending Zed Time and prevented crawlers / Stalkers from bumping me so that I can aim more clearly and do more of the important work that I'm built for.

Problem is, ofc if everyone does their job, this game feels too easy.problem is too many anti-trash classes trying to take on big zeds, meaning too much trash making my job harder... when I get a decent pocket trasher (I love me a good firebug) the game feels significantly easier... and yes, if I see a SS or demo doing well, I'm happy to FB for them as well.

Sure. Leave the big ones for them if they exist.

Upvote 0
Another takedown method you could try if you can't fight during zed time would be the use of the medic ar with impact and HP rounds. It'll still take atleast 40 bullets to pull off in a 6man HoE game, but the high base impact of the medic weapons will keep the scrake staggered back and let you safely dispatch it even if you need to reload.
As for FP, its always a good idea to save your HE grenades specifically for them. They will deal the bulk of the damage to FP. If its just 1, 3 grenades followed up by ar fire, if its a crowd, better throw all 5 if you can.
These arent takedowns for say, but they are my tried and true methods for my mando.

Upvote 0
LazerOfDensity;n2312109 said:
Another takedown method you could try if you can't fight during zed time would be the use of the medic ar with impact and HP rounds. It'll still take atleast 40 bullets to pull off in a 6man HoE game, but the high base impact of the medic weapons will keep the scrake staggered back and let you safely dispatch it even if you need to reload.
As for FP, its always a good idea to save your HE grenades specifically for them. They will deal the bulk of the damage to FP. If its just 1, 3 grenades followed up by ar fire, if its a crowd, better throw all 5 if you can.
These arent takedowns for say, but they are my tried and true methods for my mando.

Yes it is. Scrake takedown can be done with HM401 WITHOUT entering zedtime, because of the high knockback power. And equipping "Impact" perk (LV10 right) of commando is NOT necessary. To my experience the scrake will stumble back once he takes 30~40 headshots from HM401, without impact rounds. It's not preferred to me because such takedowns rely on knockbacks, which is sensitive to interference from other zeds, or moron teammates. If the scrake ran for teammates instead then it's "OH SH1T" moments going on.

It's NOT recommended to use HM401 on scrake takedown during zedtime, cause in zedtime it's STABILITY of his head you need! Knockback is a negative effect in this case!

As with FPs, the HE grenades is all you can do. Run.

Upvote 0