• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation Ugly texture render in 3ds Max

Catalavos

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I know that a 3ds max forum might be the place to post this but given the amount of knowledge here I figured I'd be better off just asking this question here. So, after doing "render to texture" my new material turned out all blurry and low quality. Does anyone know how I can fix this up a bit?

The first picture shows the view of my model with the individual materials applied via a multi-sub object texture. The second picture is the baked, rendered material applied to the model after rendering. You can notice a definite loss of quality in the two textures.

Attachments

• BadTexture1.jpg
    BadTexture1.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 0
  • BadTexture2.jpg
    BadTexture2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 0
Man, I thought I'd never get a response ;)

In the time since this first post I have done everything imaginable to figure out how to fix this, including asking the same question in other forums. I've read tutorials, changed render settings, messed with photoshop, sacrificed 2 sheep, a chicken and a goat and still no luck.

So I'm left with just one question and it might not be an easy one to answer quickly: how do you do it? If I could just figure this part out, I would gladly build 100 static meshes to share with everyone.

And as an aside, I'd like to make something similar to Danh's tutorial on "How to make your first RO2 map" called "How to make a static mesh for RO2"

Thanks,
Catalavos

Upvote 0
got to preferences - configure driver - all the res setting hit highest for the hell of it. BUt the important ones are the box that is not checked for some STUPID reason by default.... match bitmap as closely as possible. AND textel look up to anistopic.

NOW WHY THE HELL max defaults to stupid is crazy. HOPEFULLY that will solve it. For me personally, it does not like to save those setting for me upon closing down max. This JUSt started for me recently. Once these are set you SHOULD be good to go.

Upvote 0
I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Actually, I made a little headway earlier today. I discovered the Map Scaling modifier and for my purposes it ended up being very useful. It can scale your material properly so that when you bring it into the SDK your material will have the right proportions. Its not a very good solution if you have a multi-sub object material though. If you're making something easy like a bombed out building shell it works just fine. It feels like a short cut though and I want to learn the right way to do it. I'd really like to make a bunch of static mesh objects to share with the mapping community. When I feel like I know what I'm doing for real I want to make a couple of content packs to share with the other mappers. Kind of like add-on accessories for plastic models..maybe a farm set, an industrial set with bent and twisted metal debris and whatever else I can come up with

Upvote 0
I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Actually, I made a little headway earlier today. I discovered the Map Scaling modifier and for my purposes it ended up being very useful. It can scale your material properly so that when you bring it into the SDK your material will have the right proportions. Its not a very good solution if you have a multi-sub object material though. If you're making something easy like a bombed out building shell it works just fine. It feels like a short cut though and I want to learn the right way to do it. I'd really like to make a bunch of static mesh objects to share with the mapping community. When I feel like I know what I'm doing for real I want to make a couple of content packs to share with the other mappers. Kind of like add-on accessories for plastic models..maybe a farm set, an industrial set with bent and twisted metal debris and whatever else I can come up with

For RO2 I would think new stuff for populating maps would be quite well received. I have this SU2 model intended for another game IF they ever actually will stick in game. For the past freaken year they always say yes...but later. But turning it into a wreck for a map might be cool beans. But I never do it. LOL

Upvote 0
OK, I've come up with another way to ask my question.

1st.- for whoever reads this, open up the SDK
2nd- navigate through the list view to the Props_Village package
3rd- fully load the package
4th- set the content browser search thing to "textures" at the top of the content browser page.
5th- look for the Village_House_1 texture
6th- you'll notice that it looks just like someone cut all the sides of the house off and spread them out on a sheet of black paper
7th- how do you do that? that's what I'm trying to make. 1 texture with all of the materials for the house laid out on the UVW template.

:)

Upvote 0
OK, I've come up with another way to ask my question.

1st.- for whoever reads this, open up the SDK
2nd- navigate through the list view to the Props_Village package
3rd- fully load the package
4th- set the content browser search thing to "textures" at the top of the content browser page.
5th- look for the Village_House_1 texture
6th- you'll notice that it looks just like someone cut all the sides of the house off and spread them out on a sheet of black paper
7th- how do you do that? that's what I'm trying to make. 1 texture with all of the materials for the house laid out on the UVW template.

:)
Sorry, I don't have the SDK installed at the moment. But, are you asking how to Unwrap UVW your mesh?

Upvote 0
Sorry, I don't have the SDK installed at the moment. But, are you asking how to Unwrap UVW your mesh?

No, I've got that down. What I've figured out, courtesy of the tutorial below, was that, among other things, I wasn't creating a UVW template that was large enough to show the texture with enough resolution. I was making UVW templates that measured 1024x1024 or 2048x2048. I got much better results when I enlarged it to 3000x3000. I tried 4096x4096 but it made 3ds Max take a big s**t.

I also learned how to export the UVW map and do the texturing in Photoshop. Big win today, all around!

Upvote 0